WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1970 I bought my first Accutron in an Army PX. It had a gorgeous black dial with stainless/chrome markers and bracelet. Is there any source that has every Accutron made? I know it sounds like an impossible question but the actual watch (lost to time now) was probably 66-69, I guess. I was very thick as they all were.

I have watched eBay for a while and never seen one...there has been a deep blue dial that looks similar but not the same. I wonder how many units they ran a particular look or model?

Just asking.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
A source that has every Accutron made would consist of several volumes. We discuss here sometimes, not totally in jest, whether Bulova ever made any two exactly alike. The chance of finding one exactly like the one you had is pretty slim. I hope you find one you like enough to get it because they are unique.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Interesting question. My best advice would be for you to continue checking eBay. You didn't say whether it was a 214 with the crown and battery hatch on the back or a 218 with the crown on the right side of the case. As Skypilot said, Bulova did produce a very large number of variations. One possibility might be for you to find the correct case and dial design and have the dial reprinted black. That is easily done through any good watchmaker who would send the dial to a refinisher.

Interesting you mentioned the Accutron as being very thick. When my friend and his dad got 214s in the 1960s, I, too, thought of them as being thick or chunky. Compared to the gargantuan watches being offered today, the 214s are pretty small and slim! There were some thicker than normal cases produced by Bulova but I think those were from the '70s.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If I saw a picture of the blue one, I might be able to keep an eye out on ebay. I see every "accutron" on ebay and have for over a year and a half. Not many have "deep blue" dials. Can you be more specific or find a color comparison?

·
Banned
43 Posts
Interesting you mentioned the Accutron as being very thick. When my friend and his dad got 214s in the 1960s, I, too, thought of them as being thick or chunky. Compared to the gargantuan watches being offered today, the 214s are pretty small and slim! There were some thicker than normal cases produced by Bulova but I think those were from the '70s.
My watch buddies comment on the "dainty size" of the 214 Astronaut! Compared to my newer watches, it really is small.

·
Banned
605 Posts
My watch buddies comment on the "dainty size" of the 214 Astronaut! Compared to my newer watches, it really is small.
That is the thing that puts me a Railroad. I can't stand this HUGE watch thing that people have going on but Railroads look tiny and I have long arms and big hands.

I really really wanted this:

41 RARE Red LED Bulova Big Block Wrist Watch Sterling 14k Accuquartz Runs | eBay

But that final price!!!!!

I have had around 10 people ask/comment on this when I wear it (not that that matters but it is nice to try to get people involved with old watches).

Vintage 1974 Bulova Big Block LED Digital Retro Pimp Style Watch 120grams 14k GF | eBay

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, thanks for the info. It was a 214 and lasted about 6 years before it just stopped. My 20's gave it a very rough life. :crying:

If I had known then to keep it as a treasure....I didn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys, thanks for the info. It was a 214 and lasted about 6 years before it just stopped. My 20's gave it a very rough life. :crying:

If I had known then to keep it as a treasure....I didn't.
My advice to you is keep checking ebay until you find one that looks as close to the one you used to have even if it doesn't have a black dial. If the price for it is right buy it. Once you have it you can have someone send the dial off to be refinished black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.