WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I picked up this 'Clubman' with the 680 recently for a relative 'steal'.

Cosmetically, it looked nice, was missing all of it's enamel but, didn't show much case wear in the seller's photos. The dial looked spectacular for how these waffle dials sometimes have aged.

But, the item that really helped in picking it up cheaply was it had neither a crown nor, stem. So, the seller couldn't say if it worked or not. But, what I had going for me was another working 680 in hand, with crown and stem, which could be swapped in if necessary.

I couldn't wait to replace the enamel around the bezel when it arrived. (Sorry, there aren't any before photos of this part of the process. :blush: ) I was very excited when I saw this one in person! Hardly any signs of wear, and the crystal is very clear. I am puzzled as to why the enamel was missing. Unless it had been in for a tune up and the ultrasonic stripped it naked.

With Stan and Doug's help in identifying which stem I would need, the rest of the process was pretty straightforward. This case has quite a wide margin between the movement and the outside edge of the case back. So, I had to borrow a longer stem from another watch in the "to be fixed" drawer so the crown would clear the case. But, it is even longer than was necessary. So, I will have to shorten it.

But, the really pleasant surprise was, when the stem and crown were in place and the watch was wound, it took off like it knew exactly what to do! So, no movement trade-out or major repairs would have/ should be needed.

I just need to shorten the crown and put a nice strap on and it will be very 'fine'!

Oh, and Doug bears some responsibility for this purchase. If he weren't always showing such cool Elgin/Lord Elgin stuff from the post war era, I wouldn't be 'forced' to follow!:001_tt2:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
So I get to say a bad joke like "Welcome to the Club....man" first? :001_rolleyes: Cool! I thought somebody would have beat me to the punch.

Am I seeing applied gold crosshairs and markers around the subdial? If so, that's something I've never seen on an American vintage watch. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Cool!!! Welcome to the Club! Next, I'll teach you the secret handshake. I suspect it's been redialed, but it was an excellent job!

Right now somebody on The Swamp is asking $350 for an inaccurate redial - it's got a 680, but the dial has a star on it (Elgin dropped the stars prior to 1950 when they introduced the Durapower mainsprings), but worse, the star is not centered on the crosshair.

Great job on the enamelling, BTW. I suspect you might be right about the ultrasonic, but likely it wore off on the stem side from being wound, and the owner or a jeweler just got rid of all of it. But redone, it just MAKES the watch!

Am I seeing applied gold crosshairs and markers around the subdial? If so, that's something I've never seen on an American vintage watch.
You know, I'm not sure. I suspect they're molded into the dial and then painted, rather than applied. They're awfully small!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to look at the dial under more magnification. I am now intrigued to see what the dial markings are made of and how they might have been applied. I am guessing it could be a re-dial, but, I compared it to some other worn ones, and I do believe it was done well if re-done.

I will also take some photos in better light. I snapped these this morning and it is glooooomy here so, they are dark. Plus, I will have a better strap by then!

I want to do an Elgin 'waffle dial' family photo to. I have a couple of others that really bear the family resemblance!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It really is an excellent redial, but the giveaway is the 'G' in 'ELGIN'. It should not have a 'tail'. That said, it's otherwise excellent! The 'Lord Elgin' is in the right font size, at the right place on the dial, with the correct curvature. AND the 'dp' symbol is in the right place and correct.

Regarding 'waffle dials', IIRC you have one of those with pretty much the same case as the Clubman, but a plain bezel, and the waffling at 45 degrees, right? Like this one:

And that stainless 688 one, too. I gotta get me one of those. Now that I have that Cranbrook with the 680, I'm expanding my collection into the 8/0s. Don't tell my wife! :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hi Rob,

Congratulations! It looks like a million bucks.

Funny, I have one waffle dial (ironically perfectly refinished as well). Its a Gruen Continental.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug, yes, I have the model very similar to your Consolidated Can, if not the same. It is a bit rougher with what I think is the original dial. (It has browned.) And has a touch of wear on the back. That is where I borrowed the Clubman crown from.

Yeah, the 688 is one of my favorites, of all of my watches. I borrowed the stem from my spare of this one. If you are interested in it. I would be willing to pass it along, if you are interested. The dial is average with some staining but, the movement is very clean, runs and keeps good time. It just needs a stem now and cleaned. I plan to pick up a few stems to have on hand, just in case.

I will try to take a family shot this weekend. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
On your non-presentation watch, are there dots of lume at the hours, but no visible lume on top of the hands? I think this is one of the 'Nite Glo' models. That would make the browning radium burn.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On your non-presentation watch, are there dots of lume at the hours, but no visible lume on top of the hands? I think this is one of the 'Nite Glo' models. That would make the browning radium burn.
I will have to pull the hands and look. That would be cool if it were another of the Nite Glo models!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts