1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

I was thinking that a good versatile tripod is very important
for getting a stable shot.

do you have a particular brand that works well for you?
are there any features to look for?
you get what you pay for, does that come into play or
is one tripod as good as another?

thanks,

:):)
diver88

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Sturdiness comes top of the list of criteria imho Terry.

As it is something you'll be carrying around, it shouldn't be to heavy. I'd sacrifice features for sturdiness. No point in having a tripod otherwise.

My black Leitz Tiltall Model 4602 has served me since the tail end of 1981. A 1/4 turn locks everything into position and while securing an A-640 to it looks a little bit overkill, it does the job every time out. When not in use for the purpose for which it was designed, it's a part-time shirt hanger :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Love it - it's pretty versatile :thumbup1:

There are all sorts of tripods out there and all would provide some form of sturdiness. Try them all out to see which suits you would be my best advice.

How 'bout you pal?

Have a nice day now

ZIN

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've got a Slik, and it works well enough.

In hindsight, I should've gone for a Manfrotto, as I really prefer the head mechanism on it. It locks the plate in place, where the Slik holds it with friction...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have several :blink:

But if i had one i think the Tiltall would be my one choice, i have had 2 of them through the years. Sadly none now. The last one i had got stolen at an event with Bill Clinton :scared:

The one i use the most now is a Gitzo Studex ........ i could stand on the thing im sure. Very stable but also quite pricey ....... i think it was almost 1k including the center section and head. I justified it because it will last a lifetime and will be passed down to my grandkids.:wink:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My big one is an aluminum Bogen 3020 (made by Manfrotto) with a pistol-grip ball head. It's sturdy but heavy and has held up for maybe 20 years. My travel 'pod is a French-made Gitzo Weekender with small ball head;quite compact but not so light as the carbon-fiber ones and other exotics. But it still carries the original label with the traditional Gitzo guarantee: "Full warranty for life - plus reincarnations." It's like new many years down the road.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Bogen / Manfrotto. Best bang for the buck hands down.:thumbup:

You can pay more (and much less), but they are hard to beat. And when they do manage to break or get stolen, you don't cry; you just pick up the phone, call B&H and have another the next day...

Mine has survived North Africa and quite a few other unsavory places and still works like new (but the black anodize is wearing in places).

I don't think I'll EVER get that North Africa dust out of every crevice however...

The quick-release plates are great, and I've never had any problems supporting even my old 800mm/5.6L lens on it, with the old Canon 'New' F-1 and motor drive.

I would go heavier for video use, but no need for film/digital... The tripod and head weigh less than my EOS-1d and 24-70/2.8L lens.. Not heavy at all...

If you haven't figured it out yet, Highly recommended!!!:lol:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
For the last three years, I've been using a Dynatran tripod I got from Amvona.com. Mine is the ATH-903, but I don't think they offer that model anymore...at least the model number anyway.

It's my studio tripod....I want to say I paid around $50.00 for it and it has been great for the money. Built like a tank and very versatile.

Amvona sells on ebay and sometimes you can get their products cheaper there than on their website. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have two Gitzo tripods with ball heads. A small G126 Tatalux that I use for small cameras and I often strap it to my camera bag just in case I need a support in the field. I also have a larger Studex that I have at the office for studio work and to support stationary cameras for video shoots.

You will only need to buy a Gitzo once. :thumbup1:

-Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts