WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

For those of you familiar with my book " The Illinois Watch -The Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company" one if its most popular and unique features was the inserts throughout the book involving the "Fantastic Finds". I collected stories from dozens of collectors describing how they found Illinois watches in unusual places or uncovered great bargains or had interesting stories to tell about finding a watch. I would like to expand these "Fantastic Finds" to cover all American brands . Hence this request on the American Watch Forum.

My goal is to collect them, edit them and submit the most interesting and entertaining ones for publication in the National Watch Association's Bulletin. I have written articles for the NAWCC Bulletin before that have been published (I have an article that will appear in the March 2012 Bulletin and I am currently working on another article involving a very special American wristwatch) and would aim to add the "Fantastic Finds" as a regular feature of this publication.

All collectors love to swap stories of "Fantastic Finds", this is an opportunity to share them on a large scale. For those of you that prefer to remain anonymous your name will be left out.

If you are interested in supplying your "Fantastic Finds" please send them to me at [email protected]. There is no limited on how many you can submit and you can continue to supply them as you recall them or uncover new " Fantastic Finds".

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and hopeful participation.

Happy Hunting,

FJF

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
A great idea! These will be fun to read in the Bulletin. I have said many times that this is one part of Fred's great book that I loved reading -- it also gave me incentive to find my own treasures. I look forward to reading your stories and perhaps telling a few of stories of mine also. (Perhaps the Consul I got for melt value might be a good one?) Someone showed a nice watch they got the other day for $5... that was a GREAT find!

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
A great idea! These will be fun to read in the Bulletin. I have said many times that this is one part of Fred's great book that I loved reading -- it also gave me incentive to find my own treasures. I look forward to reading your stories and perhaps telling a few of stories of mine also. (Perhaps the Consul I got for melt value might be a good one?) Someone showed a nice watch they got the other day for $5... that was a GREAT find!
I have to tell you all...
This is my favorite part of the book!

The fantastic horology is a given, but these little true stories
in the book are the stuff of legend.

Like Rick, I read these stories and dream of being the
guy who walks into a flea market and finds the holy grail for a few bucks.

Remember the $30 Marquis/PW story we just had here on the forum!!!!!!

I actually wrote Fred years ago with my incredible find of a model #650 and that's how
we became friends.

I know you all have some very cool "Finds" gang... Please share them with Fred!!!

They are SO much Fun to read!!!

G

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you want to focus on wristwatches, or are pocket watch stories also welcome? There is a recent thread on the NAWCC message board, American Pocket Watch forum, that presents a number of stories on "What was your best find ... ?"

·
Registered
601 Posts
Does my '30 dollar two-toned Illinois' count? :lol:

Reactions: RJ007 and Valtyr

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sounds great Rick. Please write it up would like to learn about the " melt value" tale.

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to tell you all...
This is my favorite part of the book!

The fantastic horology is a given, but these little true stories
in the book are the stuff of legend.

Like Rick, I read these stories and dream of being the
guy who walks into a flea market and finds the holy grail for a few bucks.

Remember the $30 Marquis/PW story we just had here on the forum!!!!!!

I actually wrote Fred years ago with my incredible find of a model #650 and that's how
we became friends.

I know you all have some very cool "Finds" gang... Please share them with Fred!!!

They are SO much Fun to read!!!

G

Yes Greg those are exactly the type of stories I seek and they will make great reading for all collectors. Hope the person that found the 30 buck Marquis/PW will write it and send it to me.

Thanks for your strong support.

FJF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does my '30 dollar two-toned Illinois' count? :lol:

YOU BET Esrange please write it up and send the " Fantastic Find" to me.

This will be terrific if everyone starts sending their " Fantastic Finds" to me.

Thank you
FJF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you want to focus on wristwatches, or are pocket watch stories also welcome? There is a recent thread on the NAWCC message board, American Pocket Watch forum, that presents a number of stories on "What was your best find ... ?"

Hi JerryT

Any American watch works for me. I may have more questions for the submitters concerning the PWs and non-Illinois ones as to rarity and value that is all. But it is a good opportunity to expand my knowledge.

Please send them to me Jerry T.

Best
FJF

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
What I always find interesting is Russian watches that say "MADE IN USSR" instead of "Сделано в СССР" using the native Cyrilic alphabet!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
This is a wonderful idea! I hope you guys take the opportunity to share your findings. Esrange, I really hope you do. I'd love to see a find of yours and now a watch of mine in a bulletin message! How cool would that be?!!

Rick, I hope you post your melt value story here too (and email). That sounds like a dream come true for you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a wonderful idea! I hope you guys take the opportunity to share your findings. Esrange, I really hope you do. I'd love to see a find of yours and now a watch of mine in a bulletin message! How cool would that be?!!

Rick, I hope you post your melt value story here too (and email). That sounds like a dream come true for you!

We are off to a great start. One collector emailed to me this morning two terrific "Fantastic Finds". If everyone contributes this will be l a lot of fun for collectors.

Please email your "Fantastic Finds" to me at [email protected].

Thanks again
FJF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Hey Gang...
This is a rare treat to have our forum featured and I know you all have
a "Fantastic Find" or 2 to share...

I sent Fred my discovery of a super rare Illinois model #650 that I got
on ebay years ago for the whopping price of about 30 bucks...

PLEASE send in those stories as soon as possible to Fred!

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Its a very good chance at sharing your luck with the world, and helping others around you find special deals!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Gang...
This is a rare treat to have our forum featured and I know you all have
a "Fantastic Find" or 2 to share...

I sent Fred my discovery of a super rare Illinois model #650 that I got
on ebay years ago for the whopping price of about 30 bucks...

PLEASE send in those stories as soon as possible to Fred!

[email protected]
Thanks Greg your "Fantastic Find" is amazing.

Hopefully, everyone will start to send their "Fantastic Finds" to me.

FJF

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its a very good chance at sharing your luck with the world, and helping others around you find special deals!

Agree Jeff these tales are inspiring to all collectors and very entertaining.

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
My finds aren't fantastic but I was pleased. I found this factory original Spaceview at a pawn shop for $130.00.

and this Railroad Approved at a pawn shop for $40.00

A good friend bought a box of 10 watches at a pawn shop for $50. One of them was a 1947 vintage Rolex, yet it is real, one was an Accutron Astronaut II and one was a tuning fork Omega.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts