WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brand comparison site splise.com says the five most popular watch brands are:

1. Rolex
2. Movado
3. TAG Heuer
4. Omega
5. Seiko

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I understand all EXCEPT Movado.
I agree from a WIS standpoint, but it's amazing how many plain ol' folks think Movado is a high-end watch. I've got several friends (men & women) who think their museum line is a luxury brand. It's priced in the luxury, but I bet most of us would classify it there. And trying to convince them otherwise is like beating your head into a wall.... Not to say they're not nice. They are a nice, good quality watch but I do believe they're greatly overpriced for what you get most of the time (deals can be found though).... Just my opinion..

But, the public perception is 99% reality.... :confused1:

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
I am with Scott on Movado. By no means am I knocking anyone who owns one (to each his own!); but, I would not classify them as a high end watch. But, hats off to their marketing department. If they are in the top 5, they are certainly doing something right.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This has to do with popularity and public perception, not WIS-dom. Most regular folks think Movado is a high quality luxury watch

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
That's a nice watch Foggy...

Movado does make a nice watch. I think they're a high end fashion line. My wife has one & loves it. They don't do anything for me as they're all a bit small (both diameter & thickness for me) but if they made a large 'dive style' or large dress watch I'd be interested. They are too much money at MSRP or even 10% off for what you get IMO, but if you can get a great sale, then they're a good buy.. My wife got hers about 50% off, so it wasn't bad at all.

But then you can say many a watch is too much on the MSRP's...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I agree with most here that the Movado "Modern Watch" line is anathema to me. I mean a watch without calibration? That's like a woman without, well, nevermind.

As far as Movado's quality goes, I'm hoping it's good, because I just bought that ESQ, which is one of Movado's brands.

Here are some Movado watches that might interest some here.

Junior Sport

Metio

Museum

Series 800

1 - 12 of 12 Posts