WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titanic Swiss Watches Called 'Tacky'
The Belfast Titanic Society has called for a halt to the production of limited edition Swiss watches made from parts of the famous ship. Swiss watchmaker Romain Jerome is planning on producing watches composed in part from metal and coal found in the hull of the ship for as much as $200,000 a piece.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm not that much up on maritime law, but I do believe that the Titanic belongs to those who salvage it.

I don't think it's that creepy.

How much of the metal we use everyday was recycled from cars or aircraft involved in fatal crashes?

It is tacky, but tackiness defines modern Western culture.

I wonder if Romain Jerome plans to donate a share of the profits to The Belfast Titanic Society?

At two hundred grand per each, it would be interesting to know who among the rich and famous would be interested in such an "homage."

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Grady:

I had always beleived that whomever salvaged the ship, kept the goods; however, there have been cases where countries have sued the salvegers of the ship for gold, silver, or other valuables that originated from that perspective country.

Also, I beleive there are duties/customs/taxes to ships found in US waters (coastline extends a few hundered miles off shore)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts