WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to be a proud owner of a Rolex, I've got my eyes set on the Explorer 39mm and the Sub nondate. What are the pros and cons of the models mentioned? Which would be more versatile in terms of how good they look with suits and with casual wear? The AD salesperson told me the sub would hold more value... Here comes the noob question... Is that true or was he trying to get rid of it cause it was a bit more pricey and he had so many left as opposed to the explorer? I just didn't understand it cause every store I go there there is at least one sub and hardly ever do i see any explorers. So with the concept of supply and demand, how could the sub would hold more value when there are so many out there being sold new and preowned as opposed to the explorer. I'm not trying to seem vain and buy a watch solely due to popularity, they both look great to me which is why I'm having the hardest time deciding, but i just need to know if theres something between the two in terms of movement quality, durability, time between the need of being serviced, history, or quality of parts used that makes one seem more valuable than the other.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
The Sub will hold its value a little better simply because there is more demand for it, which is also the reason they seem to always be in stock. They are both great watches and you can't go wrong with either one, so I would just choose whichever one you like better. If you like them about equal then depreciation might be a deciding factor, but you don't want to spend that kind of money and end up having buyers remorse. There is no need to have any reservations about either watch in terms of quality and durability.

·
Registered
132 Posts
At the moment I'd buy the Sub. New model just launched but won't be available till the end of the year. Current ones will only go up in value.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
the explorer is a great watch, but so is the sub, so in reality it really just comes down to what you like, I can't comment on how either of these two watches wear, cause I don't own either, but to be honest, I'm a sub style watch guy.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The advice I've been given by my AD is to buy the Sub with date. I believe it's the more popular model.
Don't listen to the AD, except for pricing.

Choose the one that you like and don't worry about anything else.

I have a 14060M and a 114270 and I like them both quite a lot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think with this comparison, it comes down to personal taste. They are both versatile pieces appropriate for anything you have in mind.

Don't let the AD talk you into either one. Buy the one you like the best, they will both hold value well. I will say that I think the 39 mm Explorer is extremely versatile and can easily be worn with a suit if that is one of your criteria.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts