WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I picked up a strange expansion band for my '53 Bulova.
It is the old Scissor Type Expansion band and it has a small window equipped with 7 gold colored calendar pages which can be switched out.
No markings I can find other than "Pat Pending" on the back side of the calendar window.
Is anyone familiar with this or similar expansion bands?
This was the first I had ever seen and it actually looks pretty neat on my Bulova.

Vehicle Watch Automotive lighting Finger Material property

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My Dad wore one of those on his Elgin in the late 60s and early 70s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Banker is right- they were available into the 70s. There were several varieties made. Some were simple- a square of stamped tin with tabs on the corners you bent around your band and had the month printed on it. At the end of the month you threw it away and replaced it with the next one. Others, like the one shown, stayed on the band all year long. Only the window was removed and the appropriate month's calendar was then slipped inside and the window replaced

A top-of-the-line model contains a perpetual calendar. It has 7 months, each starting on a different day of the week. They are just as good today as they were back in the day. If anyone is intrigued by this idea, I believe Scott has a couple over at http://www.timesofplenty.com/ Times of Plenty
(This is not a Times of Plenty photograph, but it is the same band as what I'm describing)

·
Banned
645 Posts
This 1969 advert I found recently gives a clear view of the "Time Center" line from Bulova.
Get your rears over to mybulova and check out all the new ads, you have to flick through the New Forum Topics on the bottom right of the home page to find the ads by decade on page 3. Loads of new Bulova watch names, watches and variants found, too many to mention!
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Poster

Also lots of Accutron ads, with the model numbers too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.