WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether it is the co-axial movement or any automatic movement for that matter, would you believe that it is okay to exercise, run, and/or do any activity that would require quick and fast movements with your arms?

I know that the watch is shock resistant, but I have been wondering if it would be smart to not wear a Omega watch or any watch for that matter, when you are doing any activity that would require immediate thrusts with your arm?:confused1:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Well Mike

I think the manual says that one should guard against thermal and physical shocks. I run with my Speedy Pro and while it used to gain between 5 to 8 secs, it has over the past month remained constant following a run and I have now increased my speed and distance too so I'm happy to report that all is well.

We had a discussion on this matter around the time we packed up in the old house I believe though I'm sure the members who contributed to the discussion then would be more than happy to chime in here as well.

Wish you well my friend

ZIN

·
Registered
32 Posts
I usually wear a quartz watch when exercising and such, personally I don't see a need to wear one of my nicer, generally more expensive automatics, and take the chance of damaging them in the process. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is nice! To be able to run and to something healthy and also be able to have your speedy on your doing perfectly fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually wear a quartz watch when exercising and such, personally I don't see a need to wear one of my nicer, generally more expensive automatics, and take the chance of damaging them in the process. Just my .02 cents
True, but I myself only wear my PO and don't really have another watch that I could wear since my exercise timex watch was destroyed.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Mike

I used to run with my GMT Noir as well and again I can report that it never waivered from being a +1sec a day runner and that was a 4yr-old pre-loved number.

Be well pal

ZIN

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe, just maybe keeping your watch in movement will help its accuracy. I think I recall that Omega's calibre's were ajusted for various different positions (5, I think).

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have worn my '04 seamaster almost everyday and is gets quite a bit of daily "knocks".

now i am not chopping wood or riding my mountain bike down a tough trail, but i have worn it many, many times while boating (both power and sail, hey, it's a SEAmaster), tramping around on snowshoes, setting up tents and doing all kinds of camp stuff, shoveling snow, wrestling around with the dog / kids, fishing (ice fishing tomorrow!!), hiking etc ....in general, just everyday activities where bumps are part of the deal and it is true blue (just like it's face).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would presume that the seamaster, as well as other sport related Omega's, can take a beating. Although Omega may not advertise this nor condone it, I would bet that they can really take a pounding for many years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've worn my modern Seamaster during sports and have never had any problems with it.

However, the Swiss ETA 2804 Manual-wind movement in my Hamilton Khaki Field recently keeled over after suffering a nasty collision when I was boulder hopping at a local mountain. Upon examining the movement, the watch doctor told me the main-spring was broken.

Now, these Hamilton Khakis manual-wind Mechanicals had served the American military for 50 years and were standard government issue watch, so they have a reputation for being rugged and shock resistant. If a military watch can be damaged so, then I'm sure most watches all have their vulnerabilities.

I agree that Omegas can take a pounding, but sadly one never knows when a major damage may occur...

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Guys

I think Wally's closing remark bears a ring of truth too which is why if, you put your watch through its' paces, you should also accord it the spa treatment at the appropriate times meaning do please observe your service intervals.

Be well now pals

ZIN

·
Registered
815 Posts
i think it does the watch good to vary it's activities abit. I mean what's just the point of wearing a diving watch for instance just at a desk for example?

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
You never know Jonathan ..... :001_rolleyes:

I assume you've seen The Day After Tomorrow :lol::lol::lol:

OK Yah I know it's a movie.....

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have broken two Tag Heuers (actually, I broke both of them several times), I never broke an Omega.

Any other questions?

Style, quality, accuracy, durability and afordability. You honestly can't ask for more as I'm sure Houston will confirm.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Houston will confirm and whole-heartedly indeed my friend :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hope you're keeping well Jim

ZIN

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the odd occasion I wear my PO I don't even think twice about what I happen to be doing when it is on my wrist. I work in an engineering machine shop and there are not many days where I don't go down and sort out the odd job on the machines. Both my LV and PO have seen cutting oils, knocks, bangs, welding, flame cutting, a bit of spanner work and so on, niether have missed a beat.

:001_smile:

Like my cars I buy them to drive and I buy my watches to wear

:thumbup1:

B.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts