WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Having made the Switch from Rolex to Omega a couple of years ago with a Planet Ocean Chrono I've been longing for a more "everyday" watch due to the weight of the Planet Ocean. I wanted something vintage and being taken with the Omega brand I started looking at vintage Omegas.

In particular I wanted a Seamaster De Ville, stainless model with an automatic movement and I've seen quite a few on ebay. Tonight I tool the plunge after looking at this watch for a few days and put a bid in and won (Sorry if there's anybody on here who was also bidding). I wonder if you could give your opinion as to if you think its a wise buy?

I intend to wear the watch daily.

thanks in advance
Steve

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Lesson time! Our rule is ASK BEFORE YOU BUY - and this is a good example of why.

Since you wanted opinions, here you go.... but you aren't going to like it. You paid over $700 for a refinished dial on a watch that's possibly a franken (assembled from parts) and there are no pictures of the movement despite the seller saying it was serviced (which would mean the movement was out of the case). The words 'Seamaster De Ville' weren't put on a dial until 1963. Market value for a garden variety original / correct Seamaster De Ville is more like $375 to $500 tops for a watch in similar condition. Hopefully you can get your money back because the seller describes it as having a quick set date function which the caliber 562 did not have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There are many hazards to negotiate in the vintage Omega market on eBay and without experienced help this is what happens. Try to return it and we'll help you find a better watch to spend your money on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lesson time! Our rule is ASK BEFORE YOU BUY - and this is a good example of why.

Since you wanted opinions, here you go.... but you aren't going to like it. You paid over $700 for a refinished dial on a watch that's possibly a franken (assembled from parts) and there are no pictures of the movement despite the seller saying it was serviced (which would mean the movement was out of the case). The words 'Seamaster De Ville' weren't put on a dial until 1963. Market value for a garden variety original / correct Seamaster De Ville is more like $375 to $500 tops for a watch in similar condition. Hopefully you can get your money back because the seller describes it as having a quick set date function which the caliber 562 did not have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There are many hazards to negotiate in the vintage Omega market on eBay and without experienced help this is what happens. Try to return it and we'll help you find a better watch to spend your money on.

Oh Dear!

I agree, I should have asked before buying, I'm in the UK by the way and the price seemed lower than equivalent models, obviously if you say it is assembled from parts then that is perhaps the reason. Would this render the watch worthless do you think or is it possible the seller has perhaps got his dates mixed up or perhaps it came to him after having a new dial fitted? Excuse my lack of knowledge and thanks for the reply.

Steve

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been looking for a vintage Omega as well. I've been looking at watches on eBay and I started noticing a lot of the vintage Omegas and Rolexes were coming from Indonesia, India, and other far far away places.

I've been looking for one like this forever but I'm not going to pay $800 dollars for something that should be 300-500 ><

Omega.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dennis is the Yoda of vintage Omega! As far as I know only God knows more than he does. This is why I don't buy from eBay or vintage. Hope you can return it and find a better one!

Good luck...

P

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed a lot are coming from far away places too.

I've been in touch with the seller and spoke at length with him and explained my concerns. He has said that He is more than happy to give me a full refund or send the watch, let me have it looked at and if I'm not happy I can return for a full refund. I've thought about what it is I wanted from the watch when I bought it and it came down to two main points really.

1) A reliable movement

2) The Aesthetics

I'm not a collector and I fully intend to wear the watch as frequently or perhaps more so than my Planet Ocean, Given the watch is only costing a fraction of what the Planet Ocean cost I figured that I'm not overly concerned about if the watch has had replacement parts. The seller tells me his information was pulled from the Omega site. He even directed me to the exact page. I told him (without making reference to this forum) that a concern had been raised regarding the piece being 1962 and yet if so wouldn't have had that function. He has admitted that this has caused confusion even with him now as to whether the watch is 1962 or 1965 and whether it has 562 or 565 movement. It wasn't he who serviced the watch, He isn't a Jeweller. His manner and personality came across as being genuine in our correspondence and so as I still really like the look of the watch and with the guarantee of a refund if not satisfied I've asked him to send it today.

If it was a £1000 watch I may have lost my nerve at this point but on reflection it is only £400.

Once it arrives and I get chance I'll take it to a Jewellers that I know who deal in used Omegas, Rolex, Patek etc and ask them to identify it.

I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your responses.

Best Wishes
Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow great thread and very honest and quick information. Steve sorry to hear about your purchase but if you end up liking it in the end that is great, its all about what makes you happy.

Dennis I will have to contact you later this year, I would love a vintage Omega but don't know anything about them other than I've seen some crazy prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The watch arrived today and I must say I'm overjoyed with it's appearance. I can't do it any justice in a photograph although I have taken a quick picture with my phone of it sat next to a stable mate in a winder. (yes the Planet Oceans' date is wrong and its 5 minutes ahead of time, it's been in the winder non stop for a month and I haven't advanced the date at the end of April).

Anyway, Still haven't opened the case but I can confirm that it does indeed have the auto date function so it's actual year is still a mystery. Most importantly (for me at least) is that it looks like brand new, has kept time well on my wrist all day and to be honest I'm really pleased. I will try to get it to the jewellers at some point and solve the mystery of what movement lives inside though but for now, despite it's possible mongrel composition (maybe it'll turn out a pedigree) I'm happy with it and happy with the price paid.

Thanks again for your input everyone.

Best Wishes
Steve Omegas.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts