WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing breath-taking but I like the small changes. My favorite is the "Do Not Disturb" customizable feature and more realistic maps.
On the new iPhone 5 I'm VERY impressed with the processor speed and as far as the new features: Panorama pictures are as impressive as they are easy...and yes, the device itself is pretty slick with its fit and finish.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I DL iOS6 on my iPad3 the day it came out. While I didnt see any earth moving features.. I did like Siri and asking her dumb questions to see what she said. After the novelty of that runs out, it seems pretty stable build. I wonder how much of a slug it's going to be on the 3GS?

I'm due a phone upgrade in a few months and I'll proab get the iPhone 5

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
A lot of people aren't very happy with the new maps! Some are wondering if it is a sign of Apple decline, saying a step backwards in functionality would never have happened under Steve. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it myself yet tho.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Apple Maps aren't as good as Google Maps, but hopefully over time they get better. There is a Google Map app that is awaiting approval from Apple. I believe this is Steve's doings. He hated Google because of Android and wanted to rid Googles apps from iOS. Steve could be a bully even in spite of progress.

I just placed a shortcut on my screen to google maps and YouTube to replace the missing apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Apple have become obsessed with google to the point of it being not in their users interests, much lke how they were obsessed with Microsoft after the release on windows. Add on to that they are acting like Microsoft did by litigating rather than competing. Not good signs.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pretty soon - just like Microsoft - Apple is becoming a bully ....
--------------------------

Couple more comments on ip5 and iOs6 that I have observed over past week of hands-on usage:

- despite me using, still testing and playing with the phone quite a bit, the battery DOES last longer

- it for sure charges much faster that my 2 yo iP4

- I did not have Siri on my iP4. I do set A LOT of personal and business reminders, so having Siri doing it via quick voice commands is beyond excellent for me.

- dictation feature in text messages, emails and web searches is a HUGE plus for me personally.
(I am glad my dictations are well understood despite my foreign accent ;)

- with Siri and dictation, sending a text message while driving is no longer more dangerous than making a phone call (no lecture/debate needed - I AM aware that in some states and countries it is illegal even to make phone calls while driving). All you have to do now is pick up a phone and speak.

- "location reminders" are a big plus for my personal as well as business use. (I just push a button and say: "Remind me to check the timer on sprinklers when I get home"....and the phone does as soon as I am approaching my driveway :)

- I'm a big fan of opening apps by voice commands

- while i uderstand that in some countries people do not like the new maps, I have. no issues here and I love the new "spoken turn-by-turn directions" GPS/navigation feature.

============
If Apple allowed for a free file structuring and made a slot for micro-SDcard, then this thing would be REALLY great.

PS:
This was all dictated....I would have never made a long post like this with my phone in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.