WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased on E-bay. Paid $300.00 MGI confirms authenticity. Had watch fully serviced. Sufficient value to add to homeowners policy as separately scheduled item? Any ideas as to how to value? How rare is the thing? I know it's only a quartz mov't, but it does have a lot of complications and you really don't see a lot of this modle in worn but vg cond. Can't really call it NOS because the case does have some minor wearing scratches, but except for that it's perfect - new crown, crystal, deployment clasp, etc.

Thoughts?

· Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Is that the model with the blue dial and gold accents? If so, I think it is a very attractive watch and $300 certainly is not out of line. "Rare" is a relative term, and can mean anything from limited edition, number watches (where only a few were made) - to a particular vintage watch in which it is almost impossible to find one in really good condition - to simply a matter of its not having sold well in the first place and discontinued by the manufacturer as a result - to rare in the seller's mind because he doesn't know anyone else who has a watch like his. Consequently, it is difficult to know what a private seller means when he refers to a watch he is trying to sell as "rare."

Most homeowner's insurance policies allow for you to add coverage for especially valuable items such as jewelry, watches or silverware. Usually, they'll insured them for replacement value. If you are interested in insuring your watch (or watches), it might be helpful to contact your insurance company to see what their particular policy is on that.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts but ...

I guess I was not really clear, my bad. I know my homeowners will let me schedule jewelry, I guess my question was "in your opinion (collectively), is the watch unusual enough to warrant the protection?"

BTW, this is the strap watch with the white dial, gold roman numerals, in a gold plated case. Its a good looking piece.

Thnaks for your comments.

Todd

· Registered
2,434 Posts
No.
I guess I was not really clear, my bad. I know my homeowners will let me schedule jewelry, I guess my question was "in your opinion (collectively), is the watch unusual enough to warrant the protection?"

BTW, this is the strap watch with the white dial, gold roman numerals, in a gold plated case. Its a good looking piece.

Todd

· Premium Member
2,265 Posts

Todd
I agree with Watchbreath. As a general rule of thumb, unless a watch is made of precious metal (gold or platinum), it's value is extremely subjective.

A few exceptions can be made for certain watches made by certain manufacturers such as Breguet, Patek Philippe, Blancpain, Rolex, Ulysse Nardin, A. Lange & Söhne not necessarily in that order, to name a few. Even then, most of the value comes down to what they can fetch at auction from a collector [or collectors] bidding on them. You'll see some of these on Christie's and other Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous auction house sites.

So, when it comes down to it, a pre-owned watch is only worth what someone else will pay for it, and frankly, most of the watches we bid on on sites like EBay will not fall in this category - no way near. 99% of the time, if we win the bid on a watch on EBay it's because nobody else wants to pay for it much more than what we paid for it, although sometimes we really get lucky and happen to bid at the right time and under the right circumstances and come away with a near steal! If you can re-sell it for what you paid for it - that is the best possible outcome. But you'll find that the average collector on here buys a watch simply because he wants that particular watch.

Unless I bought a Rolex or something similarly priced, I wouldn't worry too much about insuring it. But that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.