WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

If you had to pick one TODAY - which one would you pick?

• Chopard 1937 LE

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Votes: 26 86.7%
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gents, after a few months of searching and thinking, I am torn apart between two entry high-end pieces. Need your thoughts and inputs on few questions. Let me begin by showing the contestants:

and on the other side:

As most of you already guessed, the battle is between the Chopard 1937 LE and the Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040

For all purposes of this comparison price should be considered equal, i.e. taken out of the equation.

So, my train of thought has travelled pretty much through the following stations:

Movement Chopard: Cal 1.010 - designed to be the "base" movement of LUC, suggesting volume production and possibility for modules. 60hrs power reserve. Roughly 5 years old, so not exactly proven in the field?
Movement Vacheron: Cal 1226 - unfortunately, I could not dig out data on this one, except it has 40hrs power reserve. Could be Piguet-based or in-house. Flying blind on this one.

Case Chopard: 42mm, beautifully finished. No thrills, clean lines. Crown @ 4o'clock is screw-in, providing WR of 150M. Exhibition case back.
Case Vacheron: 42mm, solid, a bit more sporty. Finished to perfection. Crown @ 3 o'clock is screw-in, providing WR of 150M. Solid case back.

Dial Chopard: appears and is bigger (thin bezel) with off-center (at logo) sunburst finish, grey color, white-gold applied indices, each polished. Almost impossible to photograph/capture the whole beauty of it. Lume on hands and hour markers.
Dial Vacheron: guiloche, mind-blowing detail on the indices (only sides are polished, else matte), no shades and still playing with light like a fairy. Lume on hands and hour markers.

Hands Chopard: "updated" Chopard, intriguing to look at
Hands Vacheron: classic, clean batton. Easy to read.

Strap Chopard: croc (downside is it will wear&tear). New one costs $550.- at present.
Bracelet Vacheron: without a doubt, one of the *most* comfortable bracelets I have ever tried in my life. Total attention grabbing device, with sides polished, tops brushed, Maltese cross visible from all angles. Thing of beauty.

Value/Depreciation Mindfunk: Here is where I choke the most. Chopards do not hold value very well. Shopping new hits you in the groin as discounts never exceed 10% (due to LE series). In addition, the object of desire has never come out for sale pre-owned to date (except for a scammer on Chrono24). OTOH, the Vacheron is easy to find, readily available pre-owned and can be had at a pretty good discount LNIB.

So, there you have it. One Chopard versus another Vacheron. Yes, I know Chopard is dressy and Vacheron is sporty - the Vacheron is actually thinner, so will slide under the shirt like a hot knife in butter.

How do things look from your side of the table? If you had to pick one TODAY, which one would it be and why? Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I'll be honest my friend. I know you love that Chopard but the VC dial just screams class to me. I love the concept of both but the VC is just gorgeous. I would buy that all day before most other watches in the industry. I'd actually love the VC more on a beautiful strap too. Bracelets are hard to relate to now that I've migrated most higher end watches to leather.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I'd be torn for sure because I like both brands. My favorite Chopard is the 1860 with the L.U.C. 1.96...

photo by Steve

.... and I like that exact VC Overseas dial layout in the 37 mm size with the grey dial. They're both great watches. Since the VC is readily available and can be bought then sold with little or no loss maybe you could grab one now and enjoy it. When a pre-owned Chopard pops up you could always flip the VC if you aren't as enamored with it as you thought.

Honestly, that's a possibility for any watch if purchased right. That's pretty much how I've moved up the ladder over the last 3 or 4 years. If a white gold version of the 1860 ever came around at a decent price I'd be very tempted to sell my Villeret.

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
Oh, forgot to add that I think the VC caliber 1126 is based on a JLC (caliber 889 maybe?).
It may be based on a J-LC , but the 1126 is an in-house movement. 40 hr. reserve, 28,800 vph, 36 jewels.
That word 'chronometer' on the Chopard dial is an awfully powerful selling tool. And it is tested and ceritfied a chronometer. But having said that, for now, I gotta go with the VC's dial over the brown. But maybe I'd change my mind if I got up-close and personal with a Chopard..

(Dennis, I agree. That 1860 is to die for.)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've seen that Chopard, and it makes an even better impression in the metal, by a lot - due respect to your pix. The Overseas is Ok, but not the VC I'd buy if I were buying VC. I'm for the Chopard.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm with Valtyr on this one. The VC is visually beautiful and impressive. Very classy. The dark face on the Chopard seems plain in comparison,but up against the Chopard 1860 pic from Ulack, Id have a hard time deciding...could be the display back might then make the difference in my choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with valtyr
does the VC come in leather? cause that would be much better.
Well, it sort of does, but the strap is not anywhere near as nice... SS case with titanium bezel, flat sunburst dial:

The Chopard does not come with a bracelet option, although a mesh would have probably suit it well. The choice at hand is really between these two: VC with bracelet and Chopard with strap. The fact that VC has an integrated braclet makes the strap look like a cheap prosthesis stitched on it.

Other variations and dial colors miss that special oomph in my eyes. :wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
All IMHO...

The Chopard is the classier of the two as far as the dial goes with its date at a balanced 6 position, Roman hour markers and the sunburst. That said, the offset crown and all red seconds hand kind of detract from it a bit. Still, it's the dressier of the two.

The VC has the more interesting dial. The off-set date and styling of the bezel, along with the applied numerics screams sporty, as you've said.

So, I guess it comes down to sporty or dressy. I'll go sporty every time.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree with what Tommy said.

As much as I like the Chopard, I am finding the second hand very hard to get along with. If that changed, I would probably go Chopard because I prefer a classy strap over bracelet. I do prefer the VC dial but the integrated bracelet limits what I would want to do with it, although the bracelet is very nice.

VC for me (still).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with what Tommy said.

As much as I like the Chopard, I am finding the second hand very hard to get along with. If that changed, I would probably go Chopard because I prefer a classy strap over bracelet. I do prefer the VC dial but the integrated bracelet limits what I would want to do with it, although the bracelet is very nice.

VC for me (still).
There is a non-LE version coming in late Sept of this year (pictures cross-linked from Purists Basel 2011 report)

As you can see - no red seconds hand + crown back @ 3 o'clock. Still not confirmed if the crown remains screw-in or is classic. Neither of the above versions rock my chair the way the LE does, though.

Keep 'em coming - you guys are great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'll be honest my friend. I know you love that Chopard but the VC dial just screams class to me. I love the concept of both but the VC is just gorgeous. I would buy that all day before most other watches in the industry. I'd actually love the VC more on a beautiful strap too. Bracelets are hard to relate to now that I've migrated most higher end watches to leather.
+ 1 for Valtyr

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hey Tom, just got back to see the silver sunburst. Dennis already said he likes it and if I had to pick between that black one with a better second hand and the VC, I think I'm going Chopard.

The most offensive thing about the original Chopard is easily the red. The one coming out with the sunburst (the other was a tad boring) is the best of the bunch. I'm a sucker for guilloche, but nothing touches the silver Chopard!!!

I think the plain one is too close to your Zurich (which is very classy).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ivan1998: I deliberately made it impossible to vote "both", as I cannot pay for both and these votes would be void. :wink: Thanks for picking one.

Thanks, Valtyr for your kind words on the Zurich. It is my go-to-watch and I love it more and more.

This is the thing with the Chopard - it is impossible to photograph, so regardless where you search, even on Chopard's very own website it looks somewhat boring or plain. Well, it is not, it is anything but... Regarding the red seconds hand - actually, it sits well against the grey dial. :wink:

Fellow tick-talk on PuristS was kind to share this information on the VC caliber

"In fact, its a renamed VC caliber 1126, which is based on the JLC 889." This confirmed ULF's statement, so we're officially in the know now :001_wub:

Here is also another article, which talks a little politics on why VC moved back to JLC movements after perusing GP before. Click.

At least we know now that the VC has not just a strong heart but one with pedigree of the highest magnitude. Based on the fact VC has somewhat old but proven cal versus the new but not so well proven in the Chopard, I would call a tie on the Movements. So, what of the rest? Lets see:

Movement: 1:1 (one point to each, as they are great)
Case: 1:1
Dial: 1:1
Hands: 1:1
Strap: this goes to VC for pure awesomness
Value: this goes to VC again.

If we handle it mathematically, above criteria say Chopard:Vacheron=4:6 Then we have your votes, which favor the VC as well... but is this the right approach to picking the winner? "follow your heart" is not working, as my heart wants the Chopard + the VC + H.Moser Monard + DeBethune DB25 + +++++++

Need my yoga to wake up to a beautiful Sunday. Chat in a bit, guys - anyone woke up to change camps? Still majority in favor of Vacheron, I take it? :cool1:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts