WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this early enicar, De Luxe in 14k solid gold case, all I know so far, case is S&W case was made in the USA by Schwab & Wuischpard, UOB import, I found watchmaker marking for 1947, can anyone add more information as to year model etc, I did see one similar in steel case but little information. I assume its a pretty rare watch given how hard to find,

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts
Making assumptions can be dangerous. There is nothing special about this watch, and as a brand, Enicars were generally reliable and rather common. Enicars rarely sell for over a hundred bucks on eBay. And even if a watch is rare (hard to find), that doesn't mean it's valuable! It could just be a really, really unpopular model!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most Enicar's as you say for simple common daily wear get little over $100, the diver and more exotics far exceed the $1k $2k.
Rare/scarce, it is, (show me another?) as from simple fact that many times more steel are sold than gold, not many of this example in steel are to be found, let alone a gold example, I see date of 1947, being close to war years I wonder when it was made.
As to value lets start from the $600 of scrap gold, a true Enicar collector (I am not) may as you say in your other response on Hamilton waiting 11 years for one to show, may pay well over the odds for a gold example, if he knows about this model. but again trying to identify model and details.

·
Super Moderator
6,063 Posts
I think you will have a great deal of difficulty finding out much more about that watch due to a lack of 1930's & 1940s advertising & documentation from Enicar. I would suggest that its actual model name is "De Luxe". As for value, I would agree that SS versions of Enicar generally sell for more than $100 and are reasonably well regarded in the watch world. Most of the demand for Enicar today is for their chronograph models of the 1960's. I dont think there is much 'collector' demand for your particular watch and as such, its value would likely be gold scrap value or just slightly higher so i would suggest somewhere around $650 USD or so. It is a nice little mens watch though.

The movement model number should be stamped just under the balance wheel. It may help in providing further information on the watch itself.

Enicar existed from about 1913 to 1988 when it was sold to interests in Hong Kong. It is now exclusively marketed in Asia. An interesting info tidbit is that the name 'Enicar' came from the surname (spelled backwards) of the original founder.

IF you really want to chase down further information there is a specific forum for Enicar owners & admirers here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mikey, Interesting detail on Enicars, not something I looked into previously, always had people wanting to buy them, enough details to add to a label and put in the show case, I have been told best bet is that a person with connection with Asia will spot it where it no doubt will go and there love of smaller gold watches.
we have a base value not that I intend to melt a nice watch, and can be talking point until right person finds it and it goes forth. in a few years it value in gold will only increase.

·
Super Moderator
6,063 Posts
Thanks Mikey, Interesting detail on Enicars, not something I looked into previously, always had people wanting to buy them, enough details to add to a label and put in the show case, I have been told best bet is that a person with connection with Asia will spot it where it no doubt will go and there love of smaller gold watches.
we have a base value not that I intend to melt a nice watch, and can be talking point until right person finds it and it goes forth. in a few years it value in gold will only increase.
Edit: after looking at your photos again, that "S&W" refers to Schwab & Wuischpard who were an independent case maker based in New York in the early-mid 1900's. They also made cases for Hamilton, Elgin etc. And from that, it would mean this movement was imported into the USA and then cased / sold there.

Btw.... if you join that Enicar group and they can provide further information on your watch, please post it here too ?? There are a few of us here who have a real interest in vintage watches of that era.

·
Super Moderator
6,063 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have done, but seems like very little info on this, I contacted "Enicar" and they pointed me towards a FB group,
The current owners of Enicar likely dont have the records of the pre 1988 Enicar watches as they only bought the rights to the name. My guess would be that the original records were disposed of by the original owners after the bankruptcy sale. That happened to many of the watch companies (ie Gruen, Bulova, Benrus etc) that existed thru the early-middle 1900's. The FB group is probably made up of members from that Enicar site and if i remember right, it seemed that those members were more interested in the 1960's 'Sherpa' watches & chrono watches. Did you ever find the movement model# from underneath the balance wheel ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts