WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have viewed this site several times but just decided to join. My question...I recently purchased a new Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ceramic XV, due to mostly favorable reviews. During the first 24 hours of wearing the watch, I found it was gaining four minutes and hour!!! I immediately returned it to the distributor. They are getting me a new watch but I am now concerned with the quality. This was a certified chonometer after all.
Does anyone have any experience they can share?

Thanks,
Tom from RI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the watch was brand new I was not going to hang on to it with a problem this obvious. I returned it to the distributor with no problem. They are getting me a new watch, holding it for a day or so to confirm proper function. I asked the AD to advise me what Ball found as the cause. Not sure if I will actually hear anything but will advise if I do.
Ball is a new brand for me. I guess my confidence was shaken out of the box (so to speak). I just wondered others experience. Hopefully this was just a fluke.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You did the right thing by returning it, The only way a watch will gain that much time is a problem with the hairspring. Sometimes as simple as when being assembled in the case it got magnetized or a drop of oil got onto it (holding 2 coils together) This is not the norm by any means. Ball is a very accurate watch and I am sure your new one will be great.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

My AD must read the forum. He said Ball advised that possibly some oil caused an issue with the hairspring. I would drink the kool-aide except the watch was supposed to be certified after assembly. I now have a new watch and all seems well so I guess we will leave it at that.

BTW, thanks for your sponsorship of this forum and the valuable feedback you offer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tom,
Glad I could help a little. It is my understanding that the movements are certified prior to being put in the cases, therefore any number of things could happen (although this is rare, especially with Ball) Good luck with your new one and I hope you love it as much as the rest of us do!!
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.