WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a reasonable response time to an email I ask:confused1:. I'm a Dinosaur and when it comes to emailing, I try to respond as fast as my Arthritic fingers will allow, but just lately I have emailed 4 Gurus of a certain brand with 50% results. 2 replied with the enthusiasm that made me feel my questions and needs were serious. The other 2 obviuosly couldn't give a rodents rectum about my enquiiries. I have cash for purchases (printed yesterday) and not in Ethiopian Flugals. What gives, Are some heads getting too big???:wink:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldn't take it personally Brian. Some people have time to answer right away (me) and some people are too busy to answer in what may be a timely fashion. It could also depend on the subject matter and perception of how important the subject is.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
you bring up a valid point Brian, I'm not sure there is etiquette as far as email goes anymore (or anything else).
folks get so many emails and many go to the "spam" folder without knowing gets deleted..

a few years ago I decided I wanted a Planet Ocean in the 42mm size and one popped up on a sales forum as I was looking. everything looked great including the selling member with 8000+ posts and I emailed him on the spot, asked one question and told him if that was a positive answer, I wanted it. I waited all day for an answer and when I got it he said he'd already sold it. I wrote back and asked how that could be, I responded within 1 minute of his post at 2am in the morning. he came back the next day and said, "I picked the 1st email on the subject and that guy wanted it, but I'm confused.. his email was 10 hours after yours"... we figured out that the first email he came to was the last email he got, he admitted I was first and he had made a mistake but he had already promised the other fella. I told him it was easy, he hadn't accepted payment or shipped it, tell the guy it should have been mine and sell it to me. he would not do it, no etiquette at all. BTW, after that happened 4 more times I vowed to never buy a Planet Ocean in this lifetime, must have been a sign or something.

politely write them again, or write them off as people that most likely you don't need to have any interaction with anyway.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're asking for free help from people. Perhaps you should lower your expectations a tad.
No John, I was enquiring for pricing and services with real cash to spend and a simple, I will get back to you shortly would be enough. Like I said 2 very popular repairers replied within the hr, 1 got back to me 5 days later and I am still waiting for the 4th guy. But your right I should relax my expectations a bit, but things get exciting when your chasing parts.

Diver, I agree with your disapointment, been there and done that!! What's that new word I can't stand - - - CHILLAX- - - another one will come along.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Well, you don't give a lot of detail so it is hard to say. If it was a "I want to buy X that you have in stock, what are shipping terms" then a long delay is not a good sign. But if it is a complex question about something that is not an everyday thing then it may take a bit of time.

Also I know that in a busy email then messages can fall off the front page of go down the screen far enough that I just forget about them. That happened today to emails I had. In the end I deleted them rather than answered because they were now so old that it was irrelevent. Good? No. Human nature? Sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.