WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Elgin watches that i wouldn't mind knowing the model names for (if they exist).

First one is an Elgin De Luxe and dates to 1944 (558 movement & ser# T849596). The case is by Wadsworth.

Second one dates to 1950, (554 movement, F674241 ser#). The inside case back is inscribed Star Watch Case Co. #6727.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think you're out of luck on names. These date from the time when Elgin didn't generally name their individual models. They started using names in their ads in 1951, with one or two - the Clubman, the Black Knight - and in mid 1952 put names on all the watches in SOME ads. The DeLuxe, being from the 1940s, likely never had a name, while the other one appears in ads from 1951 and early 1952, both times with no name attached. I can tell you that the faceted crystal is correct - both ads mention a '3-plane crystal'.

Nice watches, very typical of the time, and the movements, when clean, are good runners.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Prior to 1951, most Elgin models did not have names.

From the mid-30s on, they had a 4-digit model number, but it was not until about 1951 that these were routinely stamped in the caseback. Finding the case model for pre-1951 watches involves finding an ad or catalog with the number. Elgin only put the numbers in the ads from about 1934 till 1942. For those from 1942-1951 - good luck!

Even after 1951, Elgin used the model number, rather than the name. The names appear in ads, and on some of the G-S replacement crystal packages along with the model number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.