WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang...

A friend of mine picked up this little guy on the swamp and was asking me some more details about it...
It is an Elgin Avigo, but there is something different about it.

It has an area for a second hand (sub 6) on the dial but has it has a more modern second hand
that sweeps... (Red)

A Red "Sweeping" hand
This is odd because there is no "hole" for the seconds hand (sub 6 area) on the dial

Here is the movement:

Elgin case:

Interesting...

I have seen the watch and the second hand does seem to sweep...

Does this make sense?

G

(sellers photos)

Here was the original description:

1933 Elgin Avigo aviators style wrist watch. Here is an amazing survivor, one that you will not see for a long time if ever.
This is an extremely rare watch, probably one of the very last Avigo watches produced. This watch will certainly be a gem in anyones collection. There were very few of these watches produced by Elgin, and it represents the very first sweep - second hand watch produced in this Avigo model. Search as you might on Ebay, this particular model very rarely is seen. There are many many examples of Avigo watches that have surfaced on Ebay and other auction sites demonstrating incorrect crowns, inferior redials, wrong cases, and even wrong movements, but they are still pronounced to be Avigos. This watch is a scarce exception. The CASE: This is the first center-mounted sweep second hand case made by Elgin for a man's watch. These Keystone cases were works of art, and unfortunately were never used following this short period. The cases condition is absolutely remarkable, showing very little wear. This is a true masterpiece by Keystone Watch Case Co., J. Boss, and is 10K gold-filled. Those other 95% of the Avigos made from 1928-1934 were all base-metal / nickel cases. This unique case measures 35mm lug tip to lug tip, by 28mm across minus the exceptional original crown. The interior of the case reads, Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch CO. Keystone J Boss 10K Gold Filled #65415. THE DIAL: This dial is as absolutely mint as you will ever see, and you may never see one in this condition again. This is an original dial. Inferior re-do dials all have thicker wings / feathers, one of the first things to look for. Super - thin lines cannot be accomplished like the factory did. There is nothing like an original. Besides its crispness of all line work, there is the lack of a cut hole (which would have been used) for the second hand. yet the original design remains unchanged. The hands are incredible examples with all the lume still present. The scarce RED sweep is a super - scarce example, beautifully executed by Elgin. . You won't find hands in finer condition. THE MOVEMENT: This movement is a correct 7 jewel, the last 4/0s made by Elgin. This was the only year this movement was made, very very rare and few are known to exist. The watch is running well, starts after the first or second wind, and sets and winds very smoothly. The original crown sits close to the case,with absolutely no wobble. Visually, the movement looks great, and is signed Elgin with the number 34748712. Inside the caseback looks new, and it only shows one service scribe. It could have been some time since this watch was last serviced. Though the watch keeps good time and runs well, the new owner may want to have this fine gem serviced. THE CRYSTAL: I believe the crystal is glass and it shows little or no marks on it. THE BAND: A year ago I had a brown authentic Alligator strap custom made for this watch by the renown Montana Watch Company. The strap shows very light use and is in excellent like new condition. presently I own way too many watches, and seldom get a chance to wear this beauty. As much as I love it, it is time to pass this watch on to a new owner who will cherish it as much as I have. This watch is truly exceptional, and the new owner will be thrilled when they put it on their wrist.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Elgin made size 4/0s movements with a sweep second hand and a sub-second hand.

The dial has been refinished to look like an Avigo dial and that is not one of the Avigo cases.

Hope he did not pay too much for it ! ! ! !

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Greg,

I knew that I had one of these, just took me awhile to find it.

This is probably what this watch looked like before the dial was refinished.

Red sweep second hand and all.

The serial numbers are pretty close, they were made not too far apart from each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.