WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a lot of antagonism towards Invicta in the forums ranging from accusations of mis labeling to really poor QC and Customer Support. How bad a watch does Invicta make; I've been happy with all the ones I've received. Any discussion of this here in the Invicta forum?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quite a lot of antagonism towards Invicta in the forums ranging from accusations of mis labeling to really poor QC and Customer Support. How bad a watch does Invicta make; I've been happy with all the ones I've received. Any discussion of this here in the Invicta forum?
This is a real slippery slope. I composed two other responses, but erased them hoping that some others would chime in first. I don't post much, but I joined here about five years ago. At that time there were a number of avid supporters of the brand. You'll find some of those people on other forums and they no longer support the brand, and in fact have become quite negative. Much of the disenchantment revolved around place of manufacture -- Switzerland vs Far East. Some felt they were led to believe they had purchased Swiss made watches, or Swiss movements and the reality was otherwise in some cases. There have been some quality issues over the years, especially in certain higher end watches and this, too, caused quite a furor. This led to quite a few people getting banned from a company-supported forum for questioning company practices. I actually dropped out of the hobby for a couple of years when the crap really hit the fan.

Bottom line, know what you're buying. At certain price points it's hard to beat the watch and the company has produced some beauties over the years. I just started buying again, but I know at my price point I'm getting a Far East sourced and manufactured watch. Remember, it's a marketing juggernaut with a captive audience.

Then, too, many folks have just moved on to other brands. Some have moved to true Swiss brands, or to brands with perceived higher quality. I still watch the TV shows, but I usually DVR them and watch at 5X speed. Don't have to listen to the endless chatter, and especially the callers. They can be painful at times.

It will be interesting to see if there are many posts on the topic. I imagine the long-time posters already know the history.

edison

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Invicta isn't known for their great customer service or Quality Assurance, at least in the past. They are also accused of marking watches Swiss Made when they might not be. This is the way it use to be in the past. I haven't been keeping up with them so perhaps things have changed.

But honestly, the thing that counts is, like what you buy and buy what you like. There will always be haters.

I had a 8926C and had zero issues with it before I sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I feel the same and totally agree with what has been said so far. Invicta did alot of damage to their own reputation for all the reasons listed above. Knowing all this, I continue to own and purchase (all older models now) additional watches from the brand. I made an informed decision and have never had a bad experience with them. I also choose not to be dragged into old arguements that keep popping up on the forums. Some people just can't move on.

I'd like to give Invicta credit though. They have made an impact on the industry and they are a true gateway drug into the hobby of watch collecting. Many of the members here, including the founder of this forum, started with Invicta. They get people excited about watches, and spark alot of discussion. Both of which are great for the hooby we love.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also choose not to be dragged into old arguements that keep popping up on the forums. Some people just can't move on.

I'd like to give Invicta credit though. They have made an impact on the industry and they are a true gateway drug into the hobby of watch collecting. Many of the members here, including the founder of this forum, started with Invicta. They get people excited about watches, and spark alot of discussion. Both of which are great for the hooby we love.
Good points. Yes, I blame the now-departed Shawn Wilsie for hooking me about 3 a.m. during one of his shows. I thought long and hard about even responding to the OP on this topic. I remember how heated it got at times.

Your point about Invicta being a gateway is spot on. I'd be sporting an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean now, but I spent too much buying all those Invictas over the years.

I know several people who got into the hobby via Invicta. They love to show me what they have on their wrists. Some have definitely moved on to other brands.

edison

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
At that time there were a number of avid supporters of the brand. You'll find some of those people on other forums and they no longer support the brand, and in fact have become quite negative.
This is Invicta's own fault. They sell their product like schlockmeisters and have legendarily poor CS.

The one member that sticks out in my mind is Bob who joined another forum or three as ExInvicta4ever (or something along those lines). I think he owns an Omega, a Breitling, and a couple other nice sport watches.

I'd be sporting an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean now, but I spent too much buying all those Invictas over the years.
This is a point I've tried to make to n00bs, and the more times I've repeated it over the years the less subtle I am.

This hobby is a journey where you learn along the way. Luckily there are forums like this to help the curve, but sometimes the lesson has to be learned the hard way. In short, buy what you like - but don't complain later when you end up with exactly what you were warned about. When I see the $$$ spent one way that could have been put to wiser use it tweaks me because I believe it's my mission to steer newer members in the right direction so they don't get hosed.

That being said, wearing any watch is better than using your cell phone.

·
Banned
21 Posts
own two invicta watches, 9937 and 2014 and enjoy both of them but both are older watches from several years ago. Prefer dive and vintage watches. Invicta did a lot of damage to themselves when forums like this started to question some of the claims made on air and at a sponsor controlled forum. It really hit the fan when they attacked for want of a better word, a former member of theirs both on air and on the net.

He started a forum of sorts, brought to light some of the tall tales and behavior of two of the former forum owners and the slide really seems to have begun at that point. It probably began sooner but I think this indivdual did the most damage to them. The bottom line is as had been mentioned, investigate before you purchase and go from there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd put my 4463 COSC RPD up against all others any day. :001_tt2:
I don't believe anyone has said that Invicta can't produce, or have produced, an excellent watch. That COSC 4463 is a good example of what the company is capable of doing. If my memory is not too far off, I believe that was a limited production model from around 2008. My take, and this is only my not so expert opinion only, the company was headed more upscale, but the economy tanked and the company changed direction. I imagine the company's bread and butter has always been the lower cost-high volume lines. You can see that even high end models get degraded over the years as the company finds less expensive ways to produce them. My first SAS came with an ETA 251.262. My later models came with ETA G-10s, a much less expensive movement. In less than a year the price had dropped $300. I was sick, but that enabled me to buy two more models.

The OP originally asked why so much negativity on some boards. I could only assume he did not know some of the recent history, the plusses and the minuses. I come here and post here because this is a very civil board. I don't see the rampant adulation you find on some boards, but a more realistic appreciation of the watch as a watch. Nor do i see the insults and constant critism. And no, I don't think I'm getting a Rolex or Omega for $149. My SW200 equipped 9937 may not be COSC, but it keeps **** good time for an automatic. It was interesting to see the restrained responses.

edison

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
My two cents worth...

Hi all,

As a "noob" to this forum, and a complete noob to the whole watch thing (although I think I've caught the bug...and my wife is groaning and shaking her head...) I'd like to add my two cents worth to this topic from my perspective.

I posted my first thread here over a year ago (ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER...) and recieved a lot of support and advice. Much of which I listened too, some of which I didn't (I can be stubborn that way!)...but it was all helpful, so thank you again to all you who helped me take my first "hit" of this "gateway drug/watch"!

I think the important thing here is that I went into this purchase with eyes wide open. I had read much of the postings on this forum and others - both pro and con - and a whole lot of general goggling on the inter-web. So I knew that the potential was there for some dissatisfaction. I also knew that I wasn't able to find a watch that I wanted in any retail store I could find (certainly not for the $!) so I "pulled the trigger".

More importantly, I had my expectations in line. I was prepared for the eventuality that it wouldn't look the same as the pictures, or that I'd find some glaring deficiency that those carefully posed pictures didn't disclose. I also wasn't expecting the kind of service I would expect from a retailer selling me a Breitling...or whatever. So if I had a problem, other than a complete disaster, I was ready to deal with it myself...and with some help from you guys that worked out!

The reality was that I was buying an automatic watch (which is what I wanted) with a swiss movement (which is what I wanted) with the design that I liked...and once I got my head around the idea that I wasn't buying a Rolex I was able to relax, pull the trigger and look forward to my new watch.

When it landed, I was VERY PLEASED! In fact, there were some aspects of the quality that surprized me...the substantial feel, the quality of the bracelet...the condition were all excellent. Yes, there was a perceived mechanical issue with the rotor movement at first, but that seems to have resolved itself almost completely (it's been exactly one week on the wrist) so all in all, I think I got a pretty good bang for my buck.

I think the best advice I could give to anyone in my position would be "relax your expectations and you may be pleasantly surprized"!

BTW...after almost 48 hours from setting the time to atomic clock, I am only 4 seconds fast...seems pretty good to me, but waddo I know !?

Just my two cent's worth...y'all can keep the change!

Duggie

P.s. I just notice my first scratch (very faint) on the side of the watch case :crying: ...so now that the "new" has worn off of this one....

·
Registered
31 Posts
No sweat Duggie- scratches are inevitable, unless you just keep it in the watch box. That means that you're wearing it and enjoying it! :biggrin:
I know, and I am enjoying it...it's just like that first scratch on a new car. Next thing you know, you're parking it next to the beaters in the walmart lot and running it through wire brush car washes.....:wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with edison...great looking watch. It was on my "final 3" list before I went ahead, and the only real reason I went with the 9938 was I had it in my thick head that I had to have a swiss movement! Hey, nobody said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.