WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

In my travels on the big www, I came across a post by Chuck Maddox, that great enthusiast of the Speedmaster who was written in September 2006 by Blake Bartosh, whose father was a collector of interesting material. Sent by Blake to Chuck were some scans from an auction catalog with information on Ed White's Speedy.

All along, most of us had understood that NASA had given Ed White's Speedy which was recovered from the remains of Apollo 1 to his widow who in turn passed it onto their son. This would appear to be the last known journey of the watch. Ed White, Roger Chaffee and Gus Grissom have been fondly remembered on WTF and as their anniversary approaches in the coming month, the sadness of their passing illustrates in part, the random nature of human existence. To Ed, Roger and Gus, thanks for the memories.

Pictures and information courtesy of Chuck Maddox

Y'all be well pals :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone heard anymore of this pals?

I don't know who the buyer was and wished in some way it could have been the Smithsonian or Omega. The first, as it should be the rightful home of this historic watch and Bienne because it would grace the museum well.

Y'all be well now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Zin. I had no idea that the watch was in the fire and that it survived. What a piece of history. A friend of mine bid on quite a few smaller pieces in that auction...I have to give him a call and see if he bought anything.
Mike

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Mike

We'll be glued to our screens!!!

Amazing story about the watch, isn't it? Hey that in itself would have qualified it for use almost anywhere!!!

Best to you and the ladies :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think like the Speedmaster Mr Time, the flag and other items may have been given to Ed's widow who again possibly with the watch were handed over to their son. The notes in the auction catalog do refer to the " ... ex-The Ed White II Estate collection " which suggests that Ed White's son may sadly too have passed on.

I would agree it might have been nice for the nation to have acquired these but like the auction of JFK's memorabilia someone felt these items would be best treasured in the public's as opposed to the nation's hands.

Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I would have been happy to pay $35000 (or £17500) if I had that kind of money to spend on such things. There can't be many more important watches in history than this. As you suggested Zin: It was a horrible way to find out but it was amazing that the Speedy Pro survived and was able to proove itself.

Now, if anybody knows of Buzz Aldrin's Speedy Pro (the first watch on the moon) resurfacing and going up for auction let me know and I'll buy a lottery ticket that day.:biggrin:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh, Heh Tricky

I think you'll have to fight off the other bidders

and

BuZZ himself !!!

Be well now :)

ZIN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts