WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I look for revenues and production figures of Rolex, Cartier, Omega and Patek Philippe. Do you have some information about that? or with ideas to obtain these figures?

Thx for you help :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
15,656 Posts
Figures like what you're searching for are harder to find than a case of NOS Hamilton Rolling Rocks. General topics like European vs. Asian markets, or "(luxury) jewelry sales" are easy, but when it comes to individual brands, they really don't like divulging that kind of info. I'd think you'd have better success by contacting some of the business/financial news wire services for help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figures like what you're searching for are harder to find than a case of NOS Hamilton Rolling Rocks. General topics like European vs. Asian markets, or "(luxury) jewelry sales" are easy, but when it comes to individual brands, they really don't like divulging that kind of info. I'd think you'd have better success by contacting some of the business/financial news wire services for help.
Yes, I noted it. That's why I post on this forum. I have several estimates but differents. Have you an idea or sources about this topic ? turnover ... annual production ... ?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
There are some threads on the larger forums with production figures, but I'm not sure where the data came from and how accurate it is.

Rolex is an order of magnitude bigger than all the others on your list combined.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
You're not going to want to hear it, but you're not going to get the detailed information you're looking for for Rolex or Patek. Both are privately-held companies, and neither publicize the information, so anything out there will be someone's opinion or guess. Maybe close to being right, maybe no close.

You can see how many movements they certify (for Rolex, Patek does not use COSC), and if you average it out across a couple years you may get a ballpark, but just because a movement was certified in 2012 doesn't mean it will be sold in 2012. It may be sold in 2013 or even 2014 depending on which one it is, popularity of the parent models for it, number of models that use it, etc.

For Cartier & Omega you can get the information by digging thru their parent groups financial reports probably. For Omega it's Swatch group and for Cartier it's Richemont. As publicly-traded companies they are required to provide it, but you're going to have to dig thru a bunch of their annual reports to find it probably as they may not report it at the branded level. Contact the parent groups & request copies of their annual financial reports and see if you can peel back the layers. It's not going to be easy as their parent groups have dozens of companies under them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're not going to want to hear it, but you're not going to get the detailed information you're looking for for Rolex or Patek. Both are privately-held companies, and neither publicize the information, so anything out there will be someone's opinion or guess. Maybe close to being right, maybe no close.

You can see how many movements they certify (for Rolex, Patek does not use COSC), and if you average it out across a couple years you may get a ballpark, but just because a movement was certified in 2012 doesn't mean it will be sold in 2012. It may be sold in 2013 or even 2014 depending on which one it is, popularity of the parent models for it, number of models that use it, etc.

For Cartier & Omega you can get the information by digging thru their parent groups financial reports probably. For Omega it's Swatch group and for Cartier it's Richemont. As publicly-traded companies they are required to provide it, but you're going to have to dig thru a bunch of their annual reports to find it probably as they may not report it at the branded level. Contact the parent groups & request copies of their annual financial reports and see if you can peel back the layers. It's not going to be easy as their parent groups have dozens of companies under them.
Indeed it doesn't suit me ! :T
But why are there so many and different estimates ?

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Indeed it doesn't suit me ! :T
But why are there so many and different estimates ?
Very simple. It's the internet & everyone has an opinion! Added to that every opinion is expressed as "fact". And lastly, it's the internet so it has to be true, right? For example, here's one estimate I found within 1 minute:

Cartier:
2011 sales were 638,000 watches and approx revenue of $5.8 million (USD)

Omega:
2011 sales were 1,738,000 watches and approx revenue of $16.9 million (USD)

The source swears he believes they're 98% accurate, so that should be good enough - right? Yea right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very simple. It's the internet & everyone has an opinion! Added to that every opinion is expressed as "fact". And lastly, it's the internet so it has to be true, right? For example, here's one estimate I found within 1 minute:

Cartier:
2011 sales were 638,000 watches and approx revenue of $5.8 million (USD)

Omega:
2011 sales were 1,738,000 watches and approx revenue of $16.9 million (USD)

The source swears he believes they're 98% accurate, so that should be good enough - right? Yea right.
Yes, I had informations on Omega and Cartier just I posted here. Sorry
But informations on Rolex and Patek Philippe stay "blurred".

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
And they always will be. If the owner of the info does not make it public, no source - regardless of how much they say it's true- will be nothing more than a wild arse guess.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I believe Rolex makes their serial numbers available to their repair facilities. Based on that, they appear to average between 700,000 and 1,000,000 watches per year - much more than their "luxury" branding would lead you to believe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe Rolex makes their serial numbers available to their repair facilities. Based on that, they appear to average between 700,000 and 1,000,000 watches per year - much more than their "luxury" branding would lead you to believe
Thank you for your opinion.

But the range [700.000/1.000.000] still important. It's difficult to define the revenue. Some people say it's 800.000, others, 1.000.000 ... I'm a little lost ...:confused1:

·
Super Moderator
15,656 Posts
Anybody got a friend or relative working in the CIA? :lol:

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
It's difficult to define the revenue. Some people say it's 800.000, others, 1.000.000 ... I'm a little lost ...:confused1:
And you're going to stay lost, because NO ONE outside Rolex has the answer. The 700,000 - 1,000,000 figure are guesses based on certifications of movements, the only public information available on Rolex production. But just because something was produced in a year doesn't mean it was sold in a watch that year. It could have been cased & sold, cased & is in inventory, uncased sitting waiting to be cased, or shipped to one of the repair centers to be used for repairs. There is just NO WAY to know.

Or 'just' someone who admires both companies since many years ...
Bottom line is you're not going to get the information you seek. People far, far more knowledgeable & 'powerful' than us have been trying to get that information for years. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable in the company one is. Unless you are a high-ranking Rolex or Patek executive you're not going to know the actual figures that are in their private books. Anything said anywhere on the internet will be nothing more than a guess.

By the way, you said you had the information on Omega & Cartier already. Did it match the number I have posted above that my source gave? Just really curious if they match or are close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Answers ...

Hi everybody,

I have differents answers for my topic ... According to my differents sources ...

- Patek would produce between 30.000 and 45.000 watches for 1.000.000.000 €
- Rolex would produce between 800.000 and 1.000.000 watches for 3.000.000.000 €

What do you think ?

Thx in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everybody,

I have differents answers for my topic ... According to my differents sources ...

- Patek would produce between 30.000 and 45.000 watches for 1.000.000.000 €
- Rolex would produce between 800.000 and 1.000.000 watches for 3.000.000.000 €

What do you think ?

Thx in advance
It's CHF not € ! Sorry !

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I've got between 5-20 coins in my pocket. How much do they add up to?

The answer will be about as accurate as gauging Rolex & Patek sales numbers. You can get a good number on Rolex's volume by COSC numbers however it's still an wide estimate. But anything for Patek volume is nothing more than a (maybe) semi-educated guess. And anything to dollar numbers for both is a pure guess & speculation. No one outside the companies knows the model volumes that make up the total sales. Rolex sells models from $6,000 - $150,000, while Patek sells models from about $20,000 - 1,000,000 each. How are you going to know which each of those sold were sold at? You can't. You'd be better off trying to count the grains of sand at the beach.

So sure, those numbers sound good. Accurate? No idea and probably not, but they sound as good as any others you'll get.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Loannestudent--just a quick question, why do you want to know the sales figures for Rolex and Patek? Is this a class assignment? If so, there may be avenues business folks/business professors know that watch forum people would not know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loannestudent--just a quick question, why do you want to know the sales figures for Rolex and Patek? Is this a class assignment? If so, there may be avenues business folks/business professors know that watch forum people would not know.
Yes Pratt, it's a student work about gathering information.
I have already had answers and I post on forums because I think there are watches' collectors interested by both companies. So they might have answers for me ... It's very interesting to have your opinion and maybe a different point of vue than the press.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts