WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all i'm new to this forum. i have been planning to get a watch and being a student, i have quite a tight budget, ard S$200.

i've been looking through ebay for some nice watches and seiko watches appeal to me quite a lot. however, the prices on ebay are so much cheaper than those watch shops that i have gone to. this watch : "Sorry not a sponsor admin". from ebay would only cost me S$160 odd while a retail shop was selling it at a S$265! Although the retailer from ebay has loads of positive feedback i'm wondering if there's anything i am missing? like top-of-the-end counterfeits or scams or anything like that?

would anyone who have bought from ebay stores enlighten me as to whether it is safe and whether these watches are genuine? i don't want to a bad experience getting my first "real" watch. Thanks in advance all! :001_smile:

P.S. Anyone with good suggestions with watches that are within my budget pls kindly share it with me! (because my knowledge of watches is VERY limited) The watch i plan to get should not be too "loud" and should go well with jeans and polo tees. :001_smile:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Although the auction looks ok, I dont think we are permitted to post links to ebay auctions (i may be wrong here). Check out our sponsors, I think some may sell seiko!
Fred

·
Banned
927 Posts
That is a well known and trusted vendor on ebay and has been for quite some time. The only issue you might have is warranty service down the road, as most of his offerings are Japanese market watches, but then again, it's a Seiko.

I bought from him about 2 years ago with no problems.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
A friend of mine bought a Perigaum on eBay. I'd never heard of the brand. It's a German automatic (probably a Japanese movement). I was skeptical but, I gotta' tell you, for two hundred bucks, that's one substantial watch.

The jury's still out as far as how good it is, as he's only had it a few weeks, but it surprised me that he got the watch he did. I didn't expect much.

I would have no problem buying from an established eBay vendor...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy with Perigaum

A friend of mine bought a Perigaum on eBay. I'd never heard of the brand. It's a German automati View attachment 15003 View attachment 15004 View attachment 15002 c (probably a Japanese movement). I was skeptical but, I gotta' tell you, for two hundred bucks, that's one substantial watch.

The jury's still out as far as how good it is, as he's only had it a few weeks, but it surprised me that he got the watch he did. I didn't expect much.

I would have no problem buying from an established eBay vendor...
Old thread but bumping it up since there hasn't been much written about Perigaum and I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I was looking for a quality 43mm automatic to use as a dress watch. I wanted complications and needed month, day, date but not a chronograph. I didn't want to pay a thousand or more. So, I recently bought several Perigaum Datomats because I liked the design and the product descriptions indicated the potential for quality. The dealer accepted offers which made the deal even better. From what I read on several forums, The German Masters Co. (Perigaum) is a global effort with headquarters in England, service and possibly final assembly in Germany, distribution in the U.S., using Asian and Swiss movements. I was a little concerned from the forum comments I had read which were cautionary. But many of those comments were by those who didn't recognize the brand or didn't have first hand knowledge. And then of course, there's the "black list"!! I felt I was taking a risk but then the price reflected that. I was resigned to receiving either junk or a gem.

Well, I am happy to report that these watches are gems (at least to me and so far). They have weight and presence (about 178g). The movements look like they are from Millionsmart (Chinese) and very nicely constructed. I read that some scoff at the open heart design as a poor man's tourbillon (if you've got $100K to spend on a watch, more power to ya!) but to me the balance wheel mechanism up front looks good in its own right. The overall watch appears to be beautifully made and has fine finishing. It is as accurate as any other automatic I own. The push buttons are firm and responsive. The push-pull crown is small and protected so that it doesn't catch on your pocket and pull out. An unexpected feature is the inside rotating bezel which was a surprise (I thought the watch in the ad photo had a misaligned bezel so I was hoping for the best!). All in all, the watch brand doesn't have name recognition yet but the timepiece is made well, looks great on the wrist, tells great time, and all for about $250. Hope this helps. I am not affiliated with the company or a dealer in any way.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts