WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or know anything about the E. Keller & Sons watches? They were a fine jewelry store in Allentown PA where my grandfather lived. Watch dates to 1930's or earlier because they went out of business in the 30's. I've looked all over the internet and I've only seen one other. The movement inside is marked E. Keller & Sons (unlike the other I saw that had an Elgin movement). I know Keller employed watchmakers. Is it possible that it is their movement? It has a serial number, but I have no idea what site might list Keller serial numbers. Certainly none I would normally use to look up. It's in a full hunters case, J Boss 20 year gold fill. It is in beautiful condition and runs well. I just want to know more about it, but no idea where to look.
Thanks for any information anyone has! Happy New Year!!
Watch Analog watch Blue Clock Material property
Automotive tire Circle Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory
Body jewelry Silver Jewellery Twig Circle
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Cosmetics Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Silver

·
Administrator
6,978 Posts
Sorry, i was doing two things at once and mixed the information. I've tried searching the Waltham database with that serial number but its not coming up with anything that matches. It's possible that it is a Waltham movement (I'd have to do some more searching) that was sold to Keller & Sons with Keller's name on it for their own private label pocket watches. I would suggest though that you post this same information over on the NAWCC forum under their "American Pocket Watches" section. I'm sure that the boffins over there will identify it quickly.

btw... Keller likely did what many jewelers / watch makers did back in the early 1900's. They would buy a batch of movements from one of the big makers (ie Elgin, Waltham, Illinois, South Bend etc) and have their name on the plate so that the pocket watch could be sold as a 'private label' watch. I have 3-4 similar watches in my collection. Keller watches wont likely have a database of serial numbers as the quantity they sold wouldn't be that large and they did not make their own movements.

After a little more searching I think it is a Waltham 1894 movement. Best of luck in your search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts