WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
First of all, let me apologize for being such a noob to this forum. From doing some research, I have what I believe to be a Double Red Sea Dweller Mark II (the only thing I haven't done is pop off the backing to see the 1665 marking, s/n is 17xxxxx). My father bought this watch in the early 70's and used to wear it for every day use. One day he was skiing and the bezel popped off, never to be seen again. Since then, it has sat in a safe. After I told him that I would get it fixed, he gave it to me and off I went to figure out how to get it done. To our surprise, I have found out that this is somewhat of a rare/vintage watch and I want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to preserve the value of it.

What I'm looking for is any advice on where I should even begin when thinking about getting a new bezel or restoring the watch in any way. Any advice on who might have the right expertise or what the work might cost me would be greatly appreciated as well (we're in California).

Also, apologies for multiple (and blurry) photos. From what I understand, the crystal (plexiglass?) can be replaced fairly easily and isn't currently in the best shape, hence the effort to take photos of multiple angles. (Can get better photos upon request)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
The DR looks right...and

I would just change the tropic crystal T-39 as you stated. The bezel can probably be bought through an authorized Rolex dealer. The less restoration you do on this watch the better in my opinion.

Now the hands are a little harder to get to match as well. The problem one can face when a watchmaker by mistake may scratch the dial when removing the white lumed hands with a hand puller.

One other factor you must consider is that these DR dials chip easily at the outer edges of the dial markers. So a watchmaker unfamiliar with this type of watch dial can by the stresses of dial installation and removal can cause damage as well.

Now locating the right shade of hands is going to be quit a coup. So until you can find a watchmaker specializing in vintage Rolex, do some more research on who too trust.

Is the watch running correctly?

Arthur

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

So am I to assume that replacing the hands of the watch is ok to do?

Yes, it runs perfectly and smoothly. Of course, haven't tested whether it is still waterproof.

I plan on contacting Bob Ridley over as I've read that he comes highly recommended by those on this forum and he has worked with DRSDs before.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

So am I to assume that replacing the hands of the watch is ok to do?

Yes, it runs perfectly and smoothly. Of course, haven't tested whether it is still waterproof.

I plan on contacting Bob Ridley over as I've read that he comes highly recommended by those on this forum and he has worked with DRSDs before.
Ridely knows me...He can do the work correctly..But in my opinion the hands matching the lum on the dial can make the value increase.

However the matching lum hands to the dial have too be added correctly to the watch with no damage.

See the example below with the correct hands matching the dial marker lum..it makes a differance in appearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.