WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Rolex Company monitor this forum?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm. I wonder. What makes you ask?
I was just curious to know if Rolex is reading my posts. If you guys at the Rolex company are reading my posts, send me a signal. :biggrin:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was just curious to know if Rolex is reading my posts. If you guys at the Rolex company are reading my posts, send me a signal. :biggrin:
:lol::lol::lol:

have you said or done anything that have infringed or damaged the Rolex brand name....? :lol:
that's what usually gets Mr Rolex's attention :biggrin:

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
....well, if they are, here is my message.

"Stop jacking your prices, your watches are not THAT special".!!

;-)

·
Registered
108 Posts
....well, if they are, here is my message.

"Stop jacking your prices, your watches are not THAT special".!!

;-)

:001_rolleyes::lol:

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
same can be said for all other luxury and high-end brands right?
:001_rolleyes::lol:

FOR SURE !! Some less, some more (most more, LOL ! ;-)
....but IMO Rolex is leading the way with the best of them, in my book the last 2-3 years, that's for sure.
(.....and mind you that this coming from a Rolex devotee that owned more than 2 dozen of Oysters at one point.
....but has not bought one since 2005 (...and now down to the last 3 favorites)

·
Registered
108 Posts
FOR SURE !! Some less, some more (most more, LOL ! ;-)
....but IMO Rolex is leading the way with the best of them, in my book the last 2-3 years, that's for sure.
(.....and mind you that this coming from a Rolex devotee that owned more than 2 dozen of Oysters at one point.
....but has not bought one since 2005 (...and now down to the last 3 favorites)
:biggrin:
yes, Mr. Patek :thumbup:

agreed that Rolex has take it too far recently.... wont be surprised if i dont get any this year (waiting on Basel 2012 :lol: )

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree that Rolex pricing is way too aggressive lately. I was shocked when I realized that the Rolex I purchased only as long ago as 2005 now costs nearly twice as much already! That's just crazy. Do they think they can continue to increase the price every year until an "entry level" Rolex costs as much as an entry level Patek, and buyers will just be OK with that and keep buying?

Then again, maybe they are right if global demand is what is doing this. Lot of developing countries out there buying up luxury goods. But still...there has to be a limit somewhere. :001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Improvements to the watches as well as market forces and currency values all contribute to the price increases. In many cases, the watch model you might have bought 10 years ago is not the equivalent of the same watch model you would buy today.

It should be noted that there was no price increase last fall, as there has been for several previous years.

Here's a chart of Rolex price increases through the years.

Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex Price Evolution for Rolex Watches

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Improvements to the watches as well as market forces and currency values all contribute to the price increases. In many cases, the watch model you might have bought 10 years ago is not the equivalent of the same watch model you would buy today.Here's a chart of Rolex price increases through the years.

Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex Price Evolution for Rolex Watches
You are right, Grady...those are all valid points......but I would like to add another one to the mix if I may: GREED

SS SUB was $3000 back in year 2000, today SS SUB is $8000 !
Yeah, ceramic bezel insert, new improved machined clasp (finally !).....big deal, otherwise
we are still talking pretty much about the same SS watch with caliber showing minimal change,
that is now $5000 more.

Is it still a great looking and well built watch? Heck yes !!!
Is it worth $8000 and essentially $5000 price increase in 11 years? Not to me.
Hopefully (for Rolex), there are less people out there thinking like me and more of those
drinking the green Rolex kool-aid regardless of what prices they are asked to pay :wink:

Is the 'value' there ? It is an iconic watch / brand, good looking, well built, the resale value is there,
as it will be probably $12,000 new in a few years. So I guess the answer is 'yes'.

OTOH, when you mess with watches for a while, you start caring less about what is 'on the dial'
vs. what is 'below' the dial. At these prices I just simply think I can get a better watch from another maker.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You are right, Grady...those are all valid points......but I would like to add another one to the mix if I may: GREED
Maybe, but Rolex is not a publicly owned company. There are no stockholders and no board of directors that I'm aware of.

The lion's share of their profits go to charity.

Rolex is a well-fixed company, to be sure, but greed does not seem to fit with their business model.

Rolex has never operated as a charity for watch owners and have always priced their watches such that buyers have to reach, but they have always worked to maintain and improve the quality of their products and to improve the industry as a whole through their research and development.

I might agree that Invicta is a greedy company and it may be that Rolex is a greedy company, but it is my observation that a company that does not cut corners is also not motivated by greed.

Reactions: skypilot

·
Banned
2,653 Posts
Don't know about this forum but the word is they have someone check in on another forum and report any thing of interest to management. PP does monitor another forum on a daily basis.
How do you learn about these things?

For example, JCB of Hublot has participated in the past on forums not sponsered by the brand. Has anyone connected high up in Rolex or PP ever participated on a forum and made it known?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Has anyone connected high up in Rolex or PP ever participated on a forum and made it known?
Not that I'm aware of. When I met with Allen Brill (former CEO of Rolex USA) for the first time a few years ago, he talked with me in some detail about the articles which have appeared on this site....so he'd either read them or an underling had. :laugh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find it impossible to even imagine that someone within the marketing departments of absolutely all watch companies, doesn't regularly follow all the major watch forums. It would be completely crazy not to, and it costs almost nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts