WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion regarding what is a true ?Limited Edition? timepiece, and a Limited Run of a certain model. Some models (such as the Subaqua) state on the case back that it is a LIMITED EDITION, which by definition should have a numbered run, thus creating exclusivity. But when questioned, a representative from Invicta stated that the Subaqua Noma is NOT a Limited Edition, it is Limited Production and the design will be going under constant change, thus no Limited Certification will be issued on them. They further added that the Meteorite dial SA was the ONLY Limited Edition in that series. Why then does it say Limited Edition directly on the watch?

Response.....

The Subaqua was a limited edition piece. We use the serial number on the watch to keep track of its issuance, though there is no definition that states a limited Edition has to have a numbered run. I don?t know where you are getting your definitions but do to the confusion we have since discontinued the Subaqua and have also developed a system for defining our limited pieces. A limited Edition will be numbered and certified. A limited Edition Production like the new S-1 watch will be numbered, but it will not carry a certificate to its lower price point. A limited Production means that we will only make an unspecified number of that piece in a certain amount of time. It may be a year or six months

.http://www.watchuseek.com/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/classics&cmd=get&cG=837323&zu=383732&v=2&gV=0&p=

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
The whole limited edition thing is over hyped anyway.
How "limited" is something with 3000 or 4000 pieces.

GV2 has been using this "limited edition" scam for years. Essentially producing the same watch, just changing the model number but nothing (or little) else, and calling it a new LE.

LE's only matter on really high end watches. But a $150,000 watch is limited by its very price.
Bushwah!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Some models (such as the Subaqua) state on the case back that it is a LIMITED EDITION, which by definition should have a numbered run, thus creating exclusivity.
A "Limited Edition" could also mean that it was produced only for a particular period of time.

I work for a guitar manufacturer, and we've done "LTD's" in limited numbers, and we've done them for a limited period of time.

I agree with you, in principle, though. If it says "Limited", it should be "limited" by something...

·
Banned
927 Posts
It is Limited...
too how many different versions they can produce...
and how many they can sell.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
I did get a chuckle regarding one of the recent OTV's, the diamond quartz LE Pro Diver. I think that 5,000 mens and 1500 women's watches were made AND the were numbered on the caseback. But how limited is 6500?

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
Mine has "limited edition" engraved on the side... Looks way cool :D I believe they made 1,000 of them in each of the three colours... But don't care how many they made... It just looks cool (but I already mentioned that :wink:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is Limited...
too how many different versions they can produce...
and how many they can sell.
Very true... and it gives us more cheese to talk about.

I love the variations and it appears a vast majority of the consumers out there do also.

IMO... just plain good business sense!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get a chuckle regarding one of the recent OTV's, the diamond quartz LE Pro Diver. I think that 5,000 mens and 1500 women's watches were made AND the were numbered on the caseback. But how limited is 6500?

I will compare the Invicta idea of Limited Edition to another TV brand such as Renato. My Host pick Renato is limited to 600 units period. My Rose Gold/brown version is limited to 60 units period. Compare that to the many versions of the Subaqua "limited Edition" watch.

On the high end of watches there are some that abuse "limited" or "exclusive". Rolex is one IMO. Hard to be limited when you make 1 million watches regardless of price and versions.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The SubAqua II's were true limited editions. Chrono's 1000 of each color. 3-Hand 500 of each color. I'm unfamiliar with the Subaqua III's. I do know there are at least seven different incarnations of the SAIII. The first SAIII black and silver bracelet with the VJ7751 was a true limited. I think the latest ones, ie: quartz, goldtone, blue/silver, brown/silver, and new three hand, might not be.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I don't think it's much different from car manufactures, there have always been LTD's but they produce 300,000 of that model. It does seem the term is over used and I agree that limited should mean exactly that...limited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts