WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or, for that matter, any watches ?
Yeah Yeah, I know, watches are for telling time like cars are to be driven but I wear a watch for a day at a time and I have 9 automatic watches that I wear one day per month and, once in a while, I just can't seem to take one off so it gets worn 2 days. The rest of the time I grab the Accutron that trips my trigger that day but it's getting to the point that keeping all of them running is a hassle.
Therefore, I have started retiring some of them. I get them serviced and working perfectly and then take the battery out and put them into a display case. It is my plan to always have at least 10 different models running.
Anybody else do anything similar ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I keep all mine serviced and running in my display or my safe. All of mine are restored to like new condition so I do not wear them except for a Swiss Chapter Ring Spaceview that is a duplicate of another. The others are never worn because it would make me sick to scratch or ding up one or destroy a genuine Bulova Spaceview crystal. So they are enjoying a nice retirement ready to be handed down when the time arrives

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
At this time I am still rotating the watches that are running. As batteries die I may partially retire some. Maybe rotate them on a yearly basis them. Don't think I need a couple dozen running at all times. I am still in the process of getting all up to date on service. When that is complete late this year I will then make the decision. It is very easy to remove the batteries on our 214s so no big deal there. It's the others that are more of a hassle. Don't think I will ever permanently retire any. I subscribe to the "Use It and Enjoy It" club.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, two different answers and both well reasoned.
ACCUTRON, how do you deal with the batteries since some are put away ? Do you change them on a schedule or do you check them occasionally and change the ones that have stopped ?
I hope we hear from some more.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Interesting, two different answers and both well reasoned.
ACCUTRON, how do you deal with the batteries since some are put away ? Do you change them on a schedule or do you check them occasionally and change the ones that have stopped ?
I hope we hear from some more.
A few Years ago I started changing them all on January 1. It makes it easier to remember

·
Registered
176 Posts
I only have two accutrons and I keep them both running and wear them regularly. I believe that watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed. Of course if I had 15 or 20 of them I might think differently.:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I only have two accutrons and I keep them both running and wear them regularly. I believe that watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed. Of course if I had 15 or 20 of them I might think differently.:001_rolleyes:
In my original 218 SS Accutron I purchased in 1973, I will keep a battery and use the watch regularly. Same for my wife's 1974 Ladies 230 Christmas/engagement gift watch. Others as described in previous post.

Funny, when I was younger and in my career stage, I wouldn't be caught w/o a watch. Would even wear one to bed. Now, time is no longer as important and I usually only wear one when going out.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My Accutrons aren't old enough to retire but some of them take a power nap now and then. I had one in a coma due to mercury exposure during childhood and another was having fits as a direct result of global climate change or excessive amounts of carbon dioxide. The doctor wasn't sure. My opinion that the fits were caused by toxic levels of 387S, as required by the EPA, was discounted by Accutron authorities. After transplant surgery, both are recovering nicely and should be home from the Accutron hospital soon. :wink::wink:

A recovery room photo of My 1970 218.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts