WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Do you worry about getting mugged for your watch?

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  PremierCurrency 
#1 ·
I read this article on another thread. I bring it up here because I want to discuss it further, and don't want to do any thread hijacking. Here it is:

F1 President Bernie Ecclestone Mugged in London; Hublot Stolen From His Wrist | WATCHTIME.COM

I sometimes worry about my old Sandoz being mistaken for a Rolex and getting me mugged. In fact, I put it in my pocket whenever I must walk through 'dicier' neighbourhoods. I wonder if any collectors of Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, or whatever have the same worry.

So, what's your opinion?

#3 ·
Nobody would know the names of most of my watches since they aren't TAG or Rolex. What mugger would want some old "aw duh mars" or some Jaromir Jaeger tribute thing? 3 of the 4 Jaegers I own are black & yellow gold so they pass for Pittsburgh Penguin colors. :laugh:

mugger: "Give me your wallet and your watch!"

me: "This cheap thing? It's one of them souvenir watches for the movie Constantin. Look - it says so right on the dial. What can I say? I'm a hopeless Keanu Reeves fan."

mugger: "Just give me the wallet NOW!"

#4 ·
I had a work acquaintance recently mugged for his Rolex outside of a pawn shop at night in a lower income part of Houston, unfortunately he didnt survive the incident. Since this situation, I know that I am more cautious of my surroundings, and more often than not, I will not wear a watch at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
I had a work acquaintance recently mugged for his Rolex outside of a pawn shop at night in a lower income part of Houston, unfortunately he didnt survive the incident. Since this situation, I know that I am more cautious of my surroundings, and more often than not, I will not wear a watch at night.

That's horrible, sorry to hear about that... :crying:

#5 · (Edited)
I think we're not stupid enough to wear expensive watches, thick gold chain and take a walk down the poor neighbourhood.
If you want to show off, at least show it to the rich and well off.

Also I don't think I'll be rob of my rolexes because my last name is not Esslestone or Mandoff or Murdoch. No one knows me, 9pm............Hehehe

#11 ·
This is really irrelevant, crime of opportunity can happen anywhere - even in upscale or "rich" areas. And most thugs don't care what your name is. I agree personal awareness & common sense are great mitigators (don't wear the blingy diamond-encrusted Day-Date thru a downtown alley at night), but crime isn't limited to the ghetto's. Again, common sense is key here. Be aware of your surroundings, if things don't look right they probably aren't, don't stand out or try to look flashy when it's not common, etc. I can say my destination and surrounding does play a part in what I wear, but it's not just my watch. Clothing & cars are probably more of a mugging-magnet than a watch.

#9 ·
That's one of the nice things about living here in flyover country among well armed ******* hillbillies. I wear my Rolexes wherever I want to go and my wife can go for a walk at midnight with hers if she wants to. We have a criminal element but they seem to pretty much prey on each other. I don't know anybody who has been the victim of a mugging.

#15 ·
Oh Boy, how to respond while being PC enough to avoid being banned ? I will respectfully suggest that anyone who doesn't profile has to be insensate.
Does anybody lock their doors and roll up their windows because they see a 65 year old woman coming walking down the street or when they see a middle aged man in a business suit ? How about the mail carrier or the paper boy ?
Do we then profile based on what we see on the local news in the evening or in the local newspaper ? Doesn't common sense dictate that we do exactly that ?

#22 ·
I was referring to racial profiling specifically. I can trust Chris Rock not to rip me off, but I wouldn't trust Heath Campbell with so much as a rusty paperclip. Yeah, a bum with a shiftless look in his eye and a bottle in his hand is someone I'd avoid, but a guy in a nice suit or a lady in a nice dress is someone I'd be more laid back around.

#17 ·
Being aware of your situation is a must. I have a good friend who got his C/C permit last year because he got mugged leaving work. Not a big watch guy, but it was his dad's watch, mostly sentimental value.

While I'm not comfortable carrying a firearm around, I did buy a rifle, 6 magazines, and enough ammo to face a zombie apocalypse (right before it went up in price and became scarce) as crime from the People's Paradise of Cincinnati :001_tt2:is spilling over into the burbs.

Recently two guys dressed up as Duke Utility Workers broke into a 70 year old vet's home down the street from me, beat him up, stole his wallet, watch, and his Purple Heart. Being an old Marine, he did get a few licks in, but unfortunately he walked in on them and couldn't reach his gun.

Crime is all around. It can be the obvious and come from the unexpected as well. Just be aware of your surroundings and be prepared. If it seems wrong, it probably.

Bottom line, I'm not going to forfeit my life for a watch in my collection if I get accosted while out. At home, another story.

#21 ·
I purchase my watches to wear I'm not affluent enough to say I have such and such watch and not wear them However just like dressing for the occaision I wear a watch for the occasion Going to an affair or nice dinner wear upscale watch Going to movies or a concert wear nice watch but not blingy. As Ulack stated most muggers wouldn't know if a watch is any good if it doesn't say rolex breitling or Movado The entire package is enticing to crooks ei: nice car nice clothes or coat will assume expensive watch More worried about thieves at upscale stores and places you may feel comfortable and let your guard down Have heard several stories of people shopping putting down the watch and have it disappear Being aware is politically correct Whatever you perceive as a dangerous or uncomfortable situation to you that's what it is and act accordingly. I'm afro American and I profile situations that I may not feel comfortable in However once I put on my watch I don't worry

#25 ·
SemperEadem2 --- "I was referring to racial profiling specifically. I can trust Chris Rock not to rip me off, but I wouldn't trust Heath Campbell with so much as a rusty paperclip. Yeah, a bum with a shiftless look in his eye and a bottle in his hand is someone I'd avoid, but a guy in a nice suit or a lady in a nice dress is someone I'd be more laid back around."

I'm sorry that my reference to profiling based on "What we see on the local news in the evening or in the local newspaper" wasn't clearer. I'm not very good at PC speech, maybe somebody else can or will do it better.

#32 ·
I've never seen Rolex pens, knives, leather wallets, etc for sale at Wal-Mart, KMart, Target, Nordstroms, Dillards, JC Penny's, Sacs, etc... If you have enthusiastic collectors, it seems its only logical to cater to them. Kinda like Patek with cufflinks, pens, wallets, etc.............................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.