1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)
OK folks,
some really good pictures are posted on this forum,
do you use a light box, or just wing it.

Show us your set up please:thumbup:

:):)
diver88

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
95% of the time my shots are done in a light box - I think they are critical for taking truly good watch photos.

Here's something of a photo of my set up:

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I'll sometimes use a homemade lightbox and, other times, I'll just wing it.

Believe it or not, I actually prefer the shots when I wing it...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've only just started to compose my pictures and I just set up a few things on my desk in front of my monitor and take some shots, tweak them, crop them and post them. I've done a few shots outside in the sunlight, using the natural "habitat," so to speak.

I'm enjoying this aspect of the board and with time I might rig up something more elaborate, but so far, I'm pretty satisfied with my results.

A couple of examples:

I hope to get better.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I find shadows and reflection attractive in any watch photograph. My most favorite assistants, the November sun, and common table lamp.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Those shots are stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
95% of the time my shots are done in a light box - I think they are critical for taking truly good watch photos.

Here's something of a photo of my set up:

Where is the pic? :confused1: Thankfully I've been over to see the setup first hand.

And as for a reply to the thread, yes, I use a light tent to get even lighting around the watch.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Where is the pic? :confused1: Thankfully I've been over to see the setup first hand.

And as for a reply to the thread, yes, I use a light tent to get even lighting around the watch.

Photobucket does seem to be down at the moment. Perhaps if you were a more regular participant here, you wouldn't have caught the photo during this moment of Photobucket problems. :001_rolleyes::laugh:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Photobucket does seem to be down at the moment. Perhaps if you were a more regular participant here, you wouldn't have caught the photo during this moment of Photobucket problems. :001_rolleyes::laugh:
Hey, its not my fault you use an inferior photohosting service. :001_tt2:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
How's this? Maybe a bit too bright.

·
Registered
301 Posts
do you use a light box, or just wing it.
I just wing it most of the time, and when i dont im not using a light box but a box of light.

A quick set up on the kitchen counter ..................

the hardest part was getting those little z scale guys to stand up :wink:

and a shot of the set up ...............

·
Registered
748 Posts
I do not use a light box, although if I do watch photography as a sourse of income, I may give in and get one for speed...

Anyway, I prefer to use a mix of light sources, and control direction and intensity very closely, so a light box may actually hinder me more than help me.

On the EL shoot for example, I used three types of light (one of which was candle light) to get things to look 'right' to me.

In the light boxes, the subject tends to look 'sterile' and 'fake' where as with natural (and other types of) light, and good control, you can get a very good representation of what things look like in real life- we don't usually spend our lives with our hands in a light box (unless you are a hand model!).

So, I just 'wing it' as you say; however it's never quite that simple...:cursing:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

By tbarry3

I differentiate between light tents and light boxes. I usually use what I call a light box - as shown - with daylight balanced fluorescent tubes in preference to my light tent. These were designed to allow you to backlight your transparencies (slides). I use a shoe-mounted bounce flash. With the light box turned on, there are no shadows and no tedious setting up of a light tent.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts