WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The National Watch & Clock Museum is presenting an exhibit in 2010 on the art of the watch maker, from pocket watches to modern wristwatches. As we've been planning the exhibit, we wondered how many "museum" pieces are in private hands...and whether those hands (wrists actually I guess) would be willing to see them exhibited as part of this great exhibit...

Can your watch be exhibited next to a Tompion or Breguet pocket watch from the 18th century or a Blancpain Repeater wristwatch? If so, let us know and we'd love to consider it as an object for exhibition.

Hope to hear from some of you!

Noel Poirier
[email protected]

· Banned
3,657 Posts
yes, I am proud to say I 'believe' I do have two museum pcs (Possible 3), that I intend to donate to museums

The first is:
1) Peseux 9kt gold Jump watch 1932.
The movements is made by the great Charles Bernese, the gold case by the also great Georges Ducommun et Fils who only supplied to the most famous movement makers.

The British Museum has one of these watches on permanent display. Theirs is broken and no case.
Mine is in mint condition.
The movement is marked "Cut @ Comp. Balance. A.1"
This watch holds the ORIGINAL patent dated 1923 for Jump Mechanism, I have copies of the patent (no 104593)

The second:
2) Harwood Gold 1929
The significance of this watch can not be overstated. It was the first ever automatic wristwatch. Is is the ancestor of every self winding watch on the market and represents the 'genesis' for this type of movement.

again there is a silver cased Harwood (1929)on permanent display at British Museum. Mine is 9kt in mint condition.
John Harwood recieved the British Horlogical Institute Gold Medal in 1957 this ONLY being awarded to 4 other people in last century.

And both these watches will go to Museums.

The third is a very large silver pocket watch, made in Switzerland in 1890 which has an alarm function, not sure how rare that is though, compared to above 2.

If you would like me to post pictures I can do it, and I am both ready to loan or discuss any museum about these two watches

Regards

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're focusing on watches that demonstrate significant advances/shifts in the design of watches (either technologically or artistically). Some of these watches may not be "rare" in the collector sense, but had a significant impact on those watches that came after them. That being said, we are very interested in watches that are at the cutting-edge of design in both the way they tell time and the way they present the time...

I hope that makes sense...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.