WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in obtaining more information about the Chopard Quartz Mille Miglia Ref. 16/1240. Please help if you can. The watch is labelled a Professional Chronograph and is capable of timing multiple time trials in hours, minutes, seconds, hundredths of seconds and storing the information for later recall. The watch is from 1996. What is the meaning of the reference number? The watch is made in a limited quantity, so is this particular timepiece number 16 or 1240 and limited to a production of how many watches? I could not find much information on the web. Does anyone know of a link that can provide additional information? Thanks!

Attachments

· Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
What a co-incidence! Today (11:00AM local time) was the start of festivities for actual The Mille Miglia Race in Brescia Italy, just south of the Italian Alps. Day 1 of the race starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday with the trophy presentation scheduled for 6:00PM.

Oh!...the watch....The Mille Miglia is a signature line of watches for Chopard. As a racing sponsor, Chopard has more Mille Miglia variations than you can shake a stick at! There are models that honor races as well as race car drivers.
Could we bother you for a good focused photo of the back? If it exists, that's probably where the good info will be.
Usually when you see something like 16/1240 it means the 16th watch out of a run total of 1240 pieces, but 1240 sounds unusually high for Chopard. I would expect a more normal number... like only 500 total pieces.

If the watch is old enough, you may have to contact Chopard directly to find the specific info you're looking for.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch White Light Black Analog watch
What a co-incidence! Today (11:00AM local time) was the start of festivities for actual The Mille Miglia Race in Brescia Italy, just south of the Italian Alps. Day 1 of the race starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday with the trophy presentation scheduled for 6:00PM.

Oh!...the watch....The Mille Miglia is a signature line of watches for Chopard. As a racing sponsor, Chopard has more Mille Miglia variations than you can shake a stick at! There are models that honor races as well as race car drivers.
Could we bother you for a good focused photo of the back? If it exists, that's probably where the good info will be.
Usually when you see something like 16/1240 it means the 16th watch out of a run total of 1240 pieces, but 1240 sounds unusually high for Chopard. I would expect a more normal number... like only 500 total pieces.

If the watch is old enough, you may have to contact Chopard directly to find the specific info you're looking for.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill. I was not aware that the race was upon us. I have included a photo of the back. It only indicates the 1240 number, the case number 421364, and the gold hallmark. I have not opened the case back to see the inside as I do not have the proper jeweller's tools or expertise. I did contact Chopard with information from the Certificate of Origin which states: "16/1240, 750/ooo YELLOW GOLD GENT'S WATCH, MILLE MIGLIA, 13 1/4" 251. Q CHRONO, CHRONO WATERRESISTANT, MILLE MIGLIA 1996, CASE NUMBER: 421364".

CHOPARD'S RESPONSE WAS LIMITED TO : "We thank you for message.

Based on the information that you provided, please find herewith the information that we have been able to find out:

The Men's watch in yellow gold is a model from 1997 reference 161240-0001. The last registered price is from 2012: $10,700 USD"

So, now I am thinking that the model was from 1996, but this particular watch was first sold in 1997. I do not know the meaning of 13 1/4" 251. Q. Chrono. Do you know what this means?
but I could imagine that the timing mechanism is some type of hybrid comprised of mechanical of and electronic components.

· Super Moderator
17,344 Posts
That would make better sense.
(1 ligne = 2.2558mm) X (12 1/4) = (29.87mm = 1.175 inches), which is approximately the diameter of many high-end quartz movements I've seen.
No idea on the no. 251 but Q. Chrono means quartz chronograph.

Will the next answerer enter, and sign in, please!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.