WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each day we are given the opportunity to "like" the watches our fellow watch talk members choose to display on their wrists. The styles, sizes, and color combinations as well as number of complications can be staggering. I will admit there are times when I will click on the "like" button for a watch I would not wear on my own wrist. Various reasons come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Roman numerals but some watches I like. Solid gold cases are not for me, but I can still like a good looking gold watch. 50mm watches are definitely not for me but some I like seeing. So do you some times find you "like" some watches even though you wouldn't want them in your collection? What do you "like" but wouldn't own?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Most certainly.
In case of sentiment (heirloom), something someone has saved for/wanted for some time, a watch someone is obviously proud of, superior photography, something funky, a vintage that has been rescued or well preserved.
These things cause me to hit the "like" button.

·
Super Moderator
16,890 Posts
(1) There are one or two brands I don't care for, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what went into creating them.
(2) I don't think all that highly of the "fashion watch industry" and try not to financially support it, but there are a few designs out there that I really like.
(3) But mostly, I'm not all that far from retirement and, past a certain price point it's just not a smart way to spend money.
(4) Artistic composition of the photo will also factor in to a "like".

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I like watches I would never wear on a regular basis. Just because I would not wear a watch does not alter my ability to appreciate a watch! I like to believe I am capable of appreciating many things not right for me!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Comet Hunter said it well as usual. I'll like some watches because of what they mean to the owner, an heirloom or a commemorative of a highlight in their life etc., or because of the composition of the photograph. I generally don't care for chronographs., especially if they are the size of a wall clock, but will like one if it is really striking looking.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, I frequently hit like for watches that I wouldn't wear. Particularly vintage wristwatches in odd shapes or art deco style. They are just cool but I would not wear one. Reflecting on this post I realised how frequently I "like" certain members posts and that they have similar taste in watches.

I will also "like" a post because of the OP's story. I particularly like the story of their chase or the circumstances surounding the watch.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Rarely.

Maybe for vintage watches that I find classy, interesting, appealing etc but rarely for a modern watch. Sonetimes this makes me feel guilty if don't like the watch but I like the poster - but in the end I try and stay true to myself. Besides if I say I like a watch then at least the owner knows I mean it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most of the watches I buy I "like" initially but after a short time just don't feel comfortable wearing them, or maybe I can't get them regulated close enough to suit me.
I have nephews and nieces who will wear anything so long that is is free, so I give many watches away.
I have 3 watches that I love enough and are accurate to to within plus 1/2 to 1 seconds (not quartz) a day so wear them and only them, two for casual and one for special.

·
Super Moderator
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this string and the answers you have provided to the questions. It's nice to know we have many like minded members who can like a watch even though it may not be a must have for them. Congratulations to all for the fine watches we see every day on this forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.