WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am just back a trip to Switzerland, the undisputed heart of watch design and making, so much so that it amazes me that companies with the standing of Hermes feel they must distort the truth of 'Horology'

Flicking through a magazine in the airport lounge, I come across this lovely piece. Immediately I am impressed and delighted to see modern designs using the beautiful designs of the past.
Especially one as super as this and with out any doubt the 'beginning of the wristwatch' an are of such great interest and passion to me.

But on reading closely it says, and I quote
"On this photo dating from 1912, Jacqueline Hermes wears the ingenious leather strap encasing a pocket watch 'designed by her father'. A century later, Hermes draws upon its historical expertise in re-issuing an exclusive limited series call In The Pocket"

"Designed by her Father - in 1912" - Really? I think not.

We know these leather conversion straps - known as 'WRISTLETS' were worn by officers in the Boer War some 12 years prior to 1912!
I have copies of adverts from 1901 designed by a London Company! Indeed we have mention of these Wristlets as far back as 1887 - so how does Hermes justify designing (inventing) these in 1912 - I think not.

That said, I LOVE the concept and design, and I am glad that Hermes has re-launched such a fantastic concept - I ust wish they would stick to the facts. The 'WRISTLET' was designed in the 1890 by a London company, and came to fame by officers who wore them in the Boer War (1899 - 1902)

Here is the Hermes Advert - Its a GREAT - COOL Concept - See Jacqueline in top right picture - wearing her 'Wristlet'

Here We have a soldier (actually Major General Baden Powell) Boer War (1901) wearing his 'Wristlet)

Here we have the advert from 1901.

And my own Wristlet and article:

So Hermes - 'eat your heart out' - another myth bites the dust.

Mine - Currently on display at NAWCC Museum - Pennsylvania.

Regards
adam

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Bravo Adam!!

I bet they would LOVE to see this thread... and I would also enjoy hearing their response!
Also there is quite a bit of calculation using the word "Designed"
and I am sure we would all enjoy seeing the original "sketches"
that would prove Hermes designed this!

Super Horology as always Adam!!!
G

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet they would LOVE to see this thread... and I would also enjoy hearing their response!
Also there is quite a bit of calculation using the word "Designed"
and I am sure we would all enjoy seeing the original "sketches"
that would prove Hermes designed this!

Super Horology as always Adam!!!
G
Greg
NEXT port of call. Exactly my thoughts.
Will keep you updated
Thanks
A

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
"On this photo dating from 1912, Jacqueline Hermes wears the ingenious leather strap encasing a pocket watch designed by her father. A century later, Hermes draws upon its historical expertise in re-issuing an exclusive limited series call In The Pocket."
Adam,

I think you might be mis-reading the ad. I think the advertisement is perhaps telling us that Hermes designed the pocket watch, not the leather wristlet. Please re-read it again with a focus on the words I have put in bold. :wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Adam,

I think you might be mis-reading the ad. I think the advertisement is perhaps telling us that Hermes designed the pocket watch, not the leather wristlet. Please re-read it again with a focus on the words I have put in bold. :wink:
Actually, if you read the (presumed) original French, I believe Adam is correct. The English translation is a little ambiguous.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adam,

Hi. I think no. That would be worse! For certain Hermes never designed 'the pocket watch'.
I believe the pocket watch was designed prior to 1912! Lol

No they are implying the 'wrist let' in 1912 which is not true.

Regards
Adam

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Hi. I think no. That would be worse! For certain Hermes never designed 'the pocket watch'.
I believe the pocket watch was designed prior to 1912! Lol

No they are implying the 'wrist let' in 1912 which is not true.

Regards
Adam
It does not say he designed "THE" pocket watch. It says he designed "A" pocket watch. Also, no where in the ad does it say that he designed THE first pocket watch. It doesn't even say he designed THE first Wristlet, it merely says/implies he designed A/THIS Wristlet. I read ads every day talking about cars that different makers designed, many with references to their glorious cars of old... but I NEVER presume to think they are in any way implying that they made or designed THE first car... why would a watch advertisement be any different? The purpose of this ad (and any ad) is not to he a historical document about horology... it is to sell the item.

Perhaps it says something different in French? Not sure... I don't speak French, and I SURE don't trust them. (THAT was a joke... intentionally with no mention of my favorite line from The Simpson's.) ;)

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To me (the general public) it implies they (Hermes) designed (invented) the wristlet. Simply incorrect.
They never designed or invented it, if they were being correct they would use the words 'copied or launched' a wristwatch based on 'the,
' wristlet designed circa 1900.
This advert is surely implying the invention was theirs (there fathers).
Simple incorrect.
Anyway that is both my interpretation and opinion.
Others can decide. I see Jerry already supported my thoughts based on French translation

Regards. Adam

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
To me (the general public) it implies they (Hermes) designed (invented) the wristlet. Simply incorrect.
They never designed or invented it, if they were being correct they would use the words 'copied or launched' a wristwatch based on 'the,
' wristlet designed circa 1900.
This advert is surely implying the invention was theirs (there fathers).
Simple incorrect.
Anyway that is both my interpretation and opinion.
Others can decide. I see Jerry already supported my thoughts based on French translation

Regards. Adam

Adam,

By using the handle NAWCC on watch forums, you might arguably lose the ability to consider yourself as part of 'the general public' when it comes to a discussion about old watches and/or misleading watch advertisements. You are a bit of a horological Gladiator, after all! :wink:

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe you are right, for certain my only passion these days is Horology, and NAWCC is a fantastic place to work, albeit only as a guest curator.
My views on curator ship and the job of a Museum seemed very closely aligned to its director Noel Poirier.
For certain, I always copy him to my threads.
One update point, I asked my lady friend who speaks French and she confirmed as Jerry had said, it implies they invented the wristlet strap.

I appreciate your input - really thanks
Adam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.