WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a thread where this would fit. In Raleigh,NC the oldest Jewelry store Jolly's (108 years old) is going out of business. So I was there yesterday and stopped in to view their Ball watches. No great deals.

Then I stopped into another NC based Jewelry store and discovered they were now carrying Ball watches. Salesman proceeded to tell me how they were the HOTTEST selling brand and only ones with tritium tubes and even used an LED flashlight to show me the lume.

Now I try to be modest and not all knowing etc (cause that is the case) but I could not resist saying well I don't know if they are but I guess you haven't heard of Lum-Tec (he did write it down to his credit) and I beg to differ that Ball only one with tritium. WIth usual bad luck, I was wearing an Omega so I couldn't show and tell :sad:

So just curious: how often do you all run into this and how do you handle?

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's a lot said by folks from all walks of life, and within all occupations, that doesn't necessarily require an answer. Can't blame a salesman for doing (or trying to do) his job... and besides he can only sell you what he has (not what he doesn't have), and he can only tell you what he presumes to know, or BS you (many salesmen are good at that). :) What you have to decide is how much you, want (or need) to teach the world. Sometimes I just like to observe it, but I'm funny that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fact is, no matter how much you or I may love Lum Tec, they are a smaller company that for obvious reasons, doesn't have the advertising budget that an Omega, or a Tag, or a Ball Watch Company have. More advertising dollars means more public awareness, which obviously translates into more sales.

I happen to have owned two Ball Watches. I sold one of them, but I do feel that they are an amazing value, well crafted and probably have been my most accurate watches... generally within 2 seconds + or -.

Ball have recently been among the top ten watch producers as far as advertising budget, and they make a great product at what I and many other people feel is a very fair price.

I don't think the salesman was lying! He obviously simply didn't know about Lum Tec.

There are a LOT of excellent watch companies... I don't think any of us have to select only one!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Didn't see a thread where this would fit. In Raleigh,NC the oldest Jewelry store Jolly's (108 years old) is going out of business. So I was there yesterday and stopped in to view their Ball watches. No great deals.

Then I stopped into another NC based Jewelry store and discovered they were now carrying Ball watches. Salesman proceeded to tell me how they were the HOTTEST selling brand and only ones with tritium tubes and even used an LED flashlight to show me the lume.

Now I try to be modest and not all knowing etc (cause that is the case) but I could not resist saying well I don't know if they are but I guess you haven't heard of Lum-Tec (he did write it down to his credit) and I beg to differ that Ball only one with tritium. WIth usual bad luck, I was wearing an Omega so I couldn't show and tell :sad:

Quite often and I do about you did - let them remain ignorant and go on about my business.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The people who tend to know about things like LUM-TEC are like the guys I run into at the local cigar shop and occasionally sit down and smoke one with: independent, tough-minded. They are the only people who have commented knowingly on the brand when it's been on my wrist. I don't expect the salespeople at the myriad of overpriced jewelry stores in my neighborhood to know about this brand at all, and I don't test them. I go there to buy sparkly things for my wife, not watches. If LUM-TECs are ever carried in any of my local jewelry stores, I will know that Chris & Co. have disappeared into the great corporate beyond (from which I happily escaped years ago when I started my own small company.)

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
There are a gazillion watch brands. Most Jewelery store clerks don't even know about the watches they have in their own case.. No way they are ever going to know anything about an awesome brand like Lum-Tec unless one of US buys a Jewelery store. :laugh:

·
Registered
292 Posts

The salesman was clearly way off on his assertions about Ball's exclusive use of tritium tubes. But are you saying he used his light to somehow "charge" the tubes? That would be fascinating to watch. One thing I do have to say, however, is I've owned just a few watches that have rivaled the lume of Lum-Tecs in my opinion. But then again, the lume of any watch is only a minor aspect of the entire package as far as I'm concerned. I would never buy any watch just because it glows well in the dark.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are a gazillion watch brands. Most Jewelery store clerks don't even know about the watches they have in their own case.. No way they are ever going to know anything about an awesome brand like Lum-Tec unless one of US buys a Jewelery store. :laugh:
The sure test for sales ignorance in the Mall stores is simply to ask what the movement is. If you're lucky, you might find someone who says "automatic", for a watch clearly marked "automatic", but don't be surprised to be told "it's quartz"! :blink: ETA is a brand of peanut butter, I believe :lol:

Reactions: JulyWest

·
Registered
155 Posts
i was in the carribbean a few weeks ago wearing my m51 into a duty free store called Little Switzerland...i can see the salesman staring at my wrist and trying to guess what kind of watch it was....when i took my watch off to try on a super nice Tag grand Carrera with brown face, he looked at my watch and asked how to pronounce the brand....when i told him, he said...hmmm...never heard of it.
i just said it was a small company and asked how much the TAg watch was after discounts....$5k was a bit out of my budget and i told him the m51 was under $1k.

·
Registered
659 Posts
This!

and I've had watch store clerks call me and ask what is the difference between an automatic and a hand wound movement. (I kid you not)

·
Registered
176 Posts
People often ask me why this brand or that brand is in the locale jewelers store and others are not. The fact is the jewelers for the most part only carry the brands that go to the large jewelry trade shows. Which there are **** few. In fact when I look at the watch brands going to those shows. I roll my eye's and chuckle. Also as has been said most of them don't have a clue about the watches in their own case. Fact is watches for most jewelers based on the jewelry trade publications I get account for as little as 3% of their overall sales. At most 13% here again based on stats I see in the top trade publications for the jewelry trade. No wonder so many jewelers that used to carry watches don't even bother. This also explains their lack of product knowledge.

Your average net watch dealer most likely sells more watches in one month that the typical brick and mortar jeweler will sell in an entire year. Fact is if your serious about watches the net is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
People often ask me why this brand or that brand is in the locale jewelers store and others are not. The fact is the jewelers for the most part only carry the brands that go to the large jewelry trade shows. Which there are **** few. In fact when I look at the watch brands going to those shows. I roll my eye's and chuckle. Also as has been said most of them don't have a clue about the watches in their own case. Fact is watches for most jewelers based on the jewelry trade publications I get account for as little as 3% of their overall sales. At most 13% here again based on stats I see in the top trade publications for the jewelry trade. No wonder so many jewelers that used to carry watches don't even bother. This also explains their lack of product knowledge.

Your average net watch dealer most likely sells more watches in one month that the typical brick and mortar jeweler will sell in an entire year. Fact is if your serious about watches the net is the way to go.
I guess I'll be the first to date himself. What did serious watch buyers do before the net? There are a bunch of cool older watches - I have a few - not typical jewelry fare. Glycine, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I'll be the first to date himself. What did serious watch buyers do before the net? There are a bunch of cool older watches - I have a few - not typical jewelry fare. Glycine, etc.
Back in the day :biggrin: when I first wanted a nice watch (then to me meant $$$) I travelled a lot and I did compares in nice jewelry stores and yet it was mostly Rolex Omega TAG etc... I thought I was really making a choice by choosing Omega over Rolex at the time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But are you saying he used his light to somehow "charge" the tubes? That would be fascinating to watch.
Ball Watches, along with Luminox and several other brands, don't need to be "charged"... they'll glow for somewhere between 10-25 years, without ever seeing natural or artificial light, being they utilize tritium tubes rather then Superlumenova or some other derivative!

Go into a movie theater, and even if you're in the movie for three hours, the tritium tubes will be glowing as brightly AFTER the movie as they were when the opening credits were playing.

That being said, they do NOT glow as bright as, say, a Lum Tec which has just come in from outdoors on a sunny day. But while the display on a Lum Tec will get dimmer and dimmer over time, the watches with Tritium tubes will basically not change (technically, they are dimming... over ten, fifteen years, but you'll not be able to notice it over a few hours, weeks or even months)

Ball Watch company provides some dealers with black light flashlights. By pointing the black light at the Ball Watch face, the tritium tubes will glow as brightly even under bright, indoor lighting conditions as they do in complete darkness. Being Ball Watch provides some of their dials with different color tubes (blue, green, red, etc), it's rather impressive to see them glowing, and helps with making the sale!

·
Registered
176 Posts

There are always exceptions but you go into 20 mom and pop jewelers then come back and tell me what brands you find. Things change it's not like it used to be in many ways.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
There are always exceptions but you go into 20 mom and pop jewelers then come back and tell me what brands you find. Things change it's not like it used to be in many ways.

Yeah, that was the point of my question; how was it done before the internet. I have never been in a jewelry store in my entire life, nor have I ever looked at a watch in a retail outlet. I wouldn't know where to start. Sears? I don't know.

What I do know, Google is a mother. Nothing can hide from it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ball Watches, along with Luminox and several other brands, don't need to be "charged"... they'll glow for somewhere between 10-25 years, without ever seeing natural or artificial light, being they utilize tritium tubes rather then Superlumenova or some other derivative!

Go into a movie theater, and even if you're in the movie for three hours, the tritium tubes will be glowing as brightly AFTER the movie as they were when the opening credits were playing.

That being said, they do NOT glow as bright as, say, a Lum Tec which has just come in from outdoors on a sunny day. But while the display on a Lum Tec will get dimmer and dimmer over time, the watches with Tritium tubes will basically not change (technically, they are dimming... over ten, fifteen years, but you'll not be able to notice it over a few hours, weeks or even months)

Ball Watch company provides some dealers with black light flashlights. By pointing the black light at the Ball Watch face, the tritium tubes will glow as brightly even under bright, indoor lighting conditions as they do in complete darkness. Being Ball Watch provides some of their dials with different color tubes (blue, green, red, etc), it's rather impressive to see them glowing, and helps with making the sale!
Yes the one I was at had a black light flashlight. Was impressive. Customer beside me said that's nice but then discounted himself by saying "Oh well who needs a wristwatch to tell time, use cell phone". I decided that did not warrant any response other than to place distance between myself and him.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that was the point of my question; how was it done before the internet. I have never been in a jewelry store in my entire life, nor have I ever looked at a watch in a retail outlet. I wouldn't know where to start. Sears? I don't know.

What I do know, Google is a mother. Nothing can hide from it.
LOL Sears I think not. see my post above. I for one used to enjoy finding different items when travelling be it watches or clothes. Now with the WWW you can probably do more exploring at home. Having said that if you are ever in Tucson drop by Stewart Boots if they are still in business. Best custom boots for the money, I have found but no internet presence.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
LOL Sears I think not. see my post above. I for one used to enjoy finding different items when travelling be it watches or clothes. Now with the WWW you can probably do more exploring at home. Having said that if you are ever in Tucson drop by Stewart Boots if they are still in business. Best custom boots for the money, I have found but no internet presence.
Stewart Boots History

Be sure to view the "history" video.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Stewart Boots History

Be sure to view the "history" video.
Interesting. Learn something new everyday altho I'm not sure I get the of California part. Knew some of their history including all the boots are marked as 1977 had something to do with copyrights.

AH i see thru some of the other videos that it appears Victor Borg has sold at least some of the company to another fellow. I suspect that has led to the new world.

Sorry to go Off Topic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts