WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zai from Discount Watch Store sent me a watch that really surprised me. He's running it on sale right now too: Luminox 8822.MI Recon Point Man Watch

Luminox 8822.MI Recon

Right out of the box it's obvious this is a cool watch. What surprised me was how light it was for it's 46 mm x 13 mm size. The high impact carbon reinforced plastic case is the reason, making the watch very comfortable and balanced on even a modest sized wrist. My second surprise was the sapphire crystal - very nice to see at this price range. When you factor in the rugged and reliable Ronda 515 quartz caliber inside along with 200 m of water resistance it adds up to a pretty tough watch that looks the part too.

There are quite a few nice features like a supple rubber strap with a dual tang buckle, a unidirectional bezel with a solid clicking action, a crown that operates easily, and a silky smooth date change. The compass bezel and tachymeter are worthwhile additions to a field watch. Oh, by the way: BLACK & ORANGE rule!!!

The were only a few drawbacks I found in my initial inspection like the lack of a screw in crown, and the second hand misses the markers - a typical thing with quartz watches. Neither would be a deal breaker, but the non-screw-in crown might bother some. One other detail that could be construed as a minus was the 23 mm lug width which could hinder finding an aftermarket replacement later down the line.

A third pleasant surprise was the packaging. Not the box and papers - they were fairly normal. A belt pack is included with velcro attachments.

The lume glowed all night, evenly and consistently through to 7 AM, as tritium tubes should. It isn't like superluminova - it doesn't light up like a torch and fade quickly. That makes sense for a watch named the "Point Man" since you don't want your equipment giving away your position. Once your eyes adjust to the dark this is a very legible watch.

Overall, this would be great on a boat or beach and could easily handle yard work or any other beater duty you could throw at it without feeling cumbersome. I don't usually go for this style but I'd buy it. It has a lot of features for the money.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
I've dealt with the Discount Watch Store...fantastic people to do business with. Two weeks after my watch arrived, Zai contacted me by email to make sure I was happy with my purchase. These fine folks care about their customers!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Out of curiosity I clicked on the seller's link to see the price of that fine looking Luminox. I saw the "make an offer" button. I did not make an offer, but feel their asking price is too high. I have never paid more than $135 for a Luminox, new or used, and I have owned 4 of them over the years. Just my 2 cents. Cheers, Bill P.

Here is the Luminox that is on my wrist as I type and I really like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts