WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
inv box.jpg
Nice Box

I received the Invicta 1453 in a yellow pleather box that would be identical to a Rolex box if it was green or contained anything approaching quality. Instead it contained a heavy, gaudy, battery-powered chronograh with unreliable pushers, questionable materials, and a dial designed by Dr. Suess. On the other hand, it never pretends to be something it’s not – a feature that’s increasingly rare amongst entry-level brands – which I find to be at least refreshingly honest to consumers in the S1’s target demographic. Had it been functional in any kind of way, I might even recommend it to rookie watch collectors. Since it wasn’t, I wouldn’t.

inv face.jpg
The Watch

Case: The S1 comes in a heavy stainless steel case that measures a rugged 48mm across and 15mm tall. For a quartz watch, this seems to be more for fashion than function, however, its curved lugs and ease of wear redeem its superfluous dimensions. The thick polyurethane strap keeps its weight from moving all over the place on the wrist, and it never appears to be oversized, even on my smallish, seven-inch wrist. Contrasting the brushed metal case are two polished bevel edges that snake from lug to corresponding lug, shiny and smooth around the matte, rubberized-looking bezel. Style points would be awarded for this detail if it weren’t for the coneheaded crown that protrudes roughly three millimeters too far from the case, stabbing into bent wrists, popping open under the slightest pressure, and looking all kinds of incongruent – like a clown hat on a badger.

inv wristie.jpg
Wears Comfortably

Strap: This is actually the watch’s best feature, as its secure tang buckle and rugged, polyurethane, 23mm width keep the hefty paperweight snug against the wrist without any slip or discomfort.

Dial/Movement: Beneath the “Flame Fusion” crystal lie messes of metallic looking shapes that are almost illegible in the daylight and certainly unreadable at night. Sources confirm the dial does contain lume, but I had a hard time getting the watch to glow enough to be visible, and when it was glowing, the application was inconsistent and weak. As if the lume was an afterthought. Or made with watercolors.

inv lumeshot.jpg
Lume Shot

The black dial is decorated with shiny silver bits, matte gray bits, red bits, white bits, and a cornucopia of shapes that basically provide the readability of a spilled erector set. The one slick aspect is the tiny date window located between the 4 and 5 indices, which displays the date in upright numbers instead of the usual angled numbers. That’s the last convenient attribute of the dial.

Where most chronographs try to increase precision, this dial configuration seems bent on confusing and frustrating potential wearers. There are four red hands, for example, and none of them correspond. The red central seconds hand is always ticking and is not part of the chronograph at all – it’s also always a millimeter and a half from being in alignment, a personal pet peeve. The retrograde register at 9’o’clock measures the chronograph minutes, but with its silver tip, not its red tip (and from the bottom up, confusingly). The matching retrograde register on the dial’s opposite side seems to be a 24-hour hand unrelated to any of the other red hands (or even the time, since it can't be adjusted – it’s kinda doing its own thing). And finally, the chronograph’s seconds counter is located at a subdial at 6’o’clock, has three distracting branches, and, most absurdly, when the chronograph is reset, it spins counterclockwise for the ENTIRE length of measured time. If you recorded a 57-minute event, resetting the chronograph requires that you wait for the seconds register to make 57 backwards rotations before resetting. Functionality is the nail in the S1’s coffin.

Final Thoughts: At this price point, you get exactly what you pay for, and Invicta makes no apologies for that. On a 5-star scale, this watch sets the bar for what constitutes a one-star watch.

inv package.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The black dial is decorated with shiny silver bits, matte gray bits, red bits, white bits, and a cornucopia of shapes that basically provide the readability of a spilled erector set.
:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I agree with many of the points you make in your review regarding this watch but, I'm not sure how the tone and injected humor helps out Zai and the Discount Watch Store. I would suggest being more objective in your observations instead of making fun of the watch and brand. Deficiencies can and should be pointed out in an objective manner.

As is, how can Zai use this review. Remember its his business to sell watches, and I believe your review is disrespectful of his business. Remember he is compensating you with discounts and credits for your reveiws. This is my personal opinion only.

It's also my opinion that when doing a review you should take into account the price point of the watch. This watch sells for just a tab under $100.00. Is the watch a good value at that price point in comparison with other watches at a similar price point? What did you expect at this price point?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Patsbosoxfan, thank you for your feedback. I want to be clear that I was charged with reviewing a watch, not selling one. This watch performed poorly in almost every aspect except for the few items it excelled at, and I mentioned these (i.e. the strap, the comfort of wear). I did not want to include the price of the watch because, as stated, the business and marketing aspect is something I don't need to be meddling in - it is not up to me to publish the prices of Zai's products. Since you brought it up, however, this watch would be a poor buy at even at its low cost, in my opinion, which is all I volunteered to provide. I think it would be more misleading if I praised a watch of poor quality, since that would be dishonest and would render the benefit of a watch reveiw obsolete.

I also tried diligently not to implicate the BRAND, as Invicta has its high points, but this specific watch A) isn't Invicta's best (and thankfully doesn't pretend to be) and B) is priced accordingly. Objectively, one can find other watches hovering around the same price point that are at least are legible, functional, and at bare minimum, have hands that align with their indices (again, a pet peeve). I apologize for not making it clear that I felt this watch wouldn't even fare well against similarly priced watches. All I'm trying to provide is an honest review, and this watch simply didn't pass muster.

On a personal note, reading a COMPLETELY objective watch review seems redundant, since a review that only includes its dimensions and appearance can be found on any "specifications" list on any number of sites. While the humor I used is, in this case, jeering, in a review of a higher quality watch it would be equally effective at honestly assessing the watch. This watch really is hard to read and harder to use, and that's all I was trying to convey.

That said, I honestly do appreciate your feedback. I write the kind of reviews I would want to read - ones that actually tell me more about the watch than what I can glean from Google, and more than what I'm told by websites that employ marketing tactics to dilute honesty. In other words, the kinds of information I could only get from someone who is a watch fan his or herself, who has physically held, worn and operated the watch and has tactile, first-hand experience with it - this, I think, is the whole point of Discount Watch Store's review team. If I can provide this service in a more digestible way to others, I'm more than happy to accommodate your concerns. Please look forward to my future reviews.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I think its a funny review and can appericate the writers words, good job.:lol:

If we were only looking for the objective, unbiased, and usually dishonest review we can read Invictas description.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I thought the review was funny and well done too. If it were a review for the forum I wouldn't have had any issue with it. Instead this was a review for the discount watch store who's business it is to sell this watch. I never said for him to be dishonest, I felt the comedy was a bit much and was disrespectful to Zai's business who is compensating him for a review. I never stated that he should be dishonest only more objective. You can point out deficiencies without all the jokes. Which were very funny.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
If we were only looking for the objective, unbiased, and usually dishonest review we can read Invictas description.
What does this mean? Objective, unbiased, and dishonest? How can someone write a review that is objective and unbiased but also dishonest?

·
Banned
964 Posts
Thats easy its done by using the usual specs of the watch, the original description provided by the manufactuer, and giving no personal opinion as to form function, quality, usefulness, materials and calling it a review. Its done by explaining things most already know about the product and pretending to do a review while asking the seller to give a discount so you can review the product. You did a review of thr 8926, that review has been done thosands of times on hundreds of websites, the only thing diffrent is the movement but most already knew that. This is a slow moving review giving no new information and just repeating information found everywhere. Also some of the information provided is wrong and the same wrong information you provide is contridicated on Invictas own website.

You misrepresented the crystal material and gave the impression the bracelt was somehow less in quality when infact its the exact same bracelt they used from the start.

I also believe the seller compensating you for a review says it all, however for the seller to accept the review favorable or not also says alot. It would appear the seller is intereted in a honest review from a buyer good or bad. A good seller will want to know if the products hes offering are not measuring up to expections of the customer, so if the prodcut is sub par perhaps the seller will no longer stock the item.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
You seem to be taking my points further than it was intended when I posted them. Opinions and deficiencies with the product should be included in every review, but as I said, should be made in a respectful manner for the business. That is the limit of my argument.

If you have issue with my review you should have posted them under my review.

I did not chose to do a review of the 8926. The reviewer does not have a choice in what gets sent to him. I know the 8926 has been done a thousand times and I chose to write my review for those who might be looking at it for the first time not for people who already are familiar with it. When you say most already know these things you are limiting your field of view to only those that participate in forums which probably represent less than 10% of those buying these watches. These are not reviews written for the forum and its members who are uber educated about the product but for those who might be seeing the watch for the first time.

The crystal is listed as FF on Invicta's 2011 catalog, but three websites that currently sell the 8926 all list it as a mineral crystal. Without a 2012 catalog and taking into account the information from these websites with Invicta's history of mistakes in their descriptions I opted for the mineral crystal. The magnification appeared to me, to be at least 2X and possibly more. The bracelet is the same, and I don't say there is anything wrong with it, but in my opinion it felt light. I qualify this in my review by saying that I'm used to heavier bracelets.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
If you want to continue to discuss my review please do so in the appropriate thread.

This discussion has turned away from the OP, any further off topic posts will be removed or moved to the appropriate thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the review. I just threw all nine of my Invictas in the trash. I'm too embarrassed to wear them now. Not.

When a watch catches my eye is is NOT because of its complications or the number of hands circulating around but elegant simplicity and subdued colors. I'm guessing watches, such as the one reviewed, meets a price point and may have been designed by someone from a different part of the world thus reflecting that taste. Somebody thought it was worth producing looking as it does.

Now, I have never figured out why men are supposed to be in love with chronographs? How many of you time things during the day...if ever? I guess that is a dim bulb gimmick for us knuckle dragger's who like the complications. Of the nine I have I had to settle for three chronos. GMT or a rotating bezel is fine.

Just my 2 piasters on the subject.

:wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wwoof - organic farms?

Also, I agree. I lot of watches at this price seem determined to imply functionality by incorporating unnecessary distractions like chronographs or sliding calculators that measure things I have no interest measuring. I prefer straightforward legibility to feigned complexity. The Invicta featured at the top of this forum, for example - the photo contest winner - is gorgeous. It probably cost significantly more, but you can at least read the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts