WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally received my second- hand, non worn LZ5 today and of course, after 2 weeks of waiting, I was ecstatic. It is a gorgeous watch and the pictures definitely didn't do it justice.
After the new watch afterglow wore off, I started the inspections and tests. The watch is in immaculate condition. Really was never worn, impressive. Then I discovered, inside the crystal, a nice little piece, about 5mm, of a hair or fiber, on the dial in between the 47 and 48 second marking. This could not have happened from the previous owner. This had to have happened during assembly. This irks me so much I can't even look at the time without going right to the fiber and becoming frustrated that I can't brush it off.
The lume is also disheartening.
After weeks of reading these forums and seeing all the praise I knew I was in for a watch I could wake up at 3am and tell the time.
So I set the watch underneath my UV lamp for an hour and came back. It was glowing so bright I feared I would be contaminated with radioactivity! So I went and sat in my pitch black walk in closet and set it down beside me as I read the news on my phone. After about 25 minutes the lume was completely gone. I am very displeased with this.
Is this a problem with this particular model? I never see anything about the LZ5 which leads me to believe it isn't that popular. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Now, on to the strap. The strap is very nice. It's a very nice, leathery feel. I enjoy that the rubber doesn't attract fuzz like my other rubber straps. The sizing is an issue though. I have an exact 7" wrist. This leaves me with the 2nd and 3rd available holes to use. The 2nd is too tight and the 3rd is too lose. There is, unfortunately for me, no comfortable medium.
These 3 issues are very bothersome to me to where I won't be wearing this watch. Very sad for me since I was eagerly anticipating this piece.
The hair on the dial is my biggest peeve.
I would return it had I bought it new.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I can't seem to figure out how to get the tap talk feature to turn on so I can't upload from my phone. I cleared cookies and everything and no pop up for the tap talk feature.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I finally received my second- hand, non worn LZ5 today and of course, after 2 weeks of waiting, I was ecstatic. It is a gorgeous watch and the pictures definitely didn't do it justice.
After the new watch afterglow wore off, I started the inspections and tests. The watch is in immaculate condition. Really was never worn, impressive. Then I discovered, inside the crystal, a nice little piece, about 5mm, of a hair or fiber, on the dial in between the 47 and 48 second marking. This could not have happened from the previous owner. This had to have happened during assembly. This irks me so much I can't even look at the time without going right to the fiber and becoming frustrated that I can't brush it off.
The lume is also disheartening.
After weeks of reading these forums and seeing all the praise I knew I was in for a watch I could wake up at 3am and tell the time.
So I set the watch underneath my UV lamp for an hour and came back. It was glowing so bright I feared I would be contaminated with radioactivity! So I went and sat in my pitch black walk in closet and set it down beside me as I read the news on my phone. After about 25 minutes the lume was completely gone. I am very displeased with this.
Is this a problem with this particular model? I never see anything about the LZ5 which leads me to believe it isn't that popular. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Now, on to the strap. The strap is very nice. It's a very nice, leathery feel. I enjoy that the rubber doesn't attract fuzz like my other rubber straps. The sizing is an issue though. I have an exact 7" wrist. This leaves me with the 2nd and 3rd available holes to use. The 2nd is too tight and the 3rd is too lose. There is, unfortunately for me, no comfortable medium.
These 3 issues are very bothersome to me to where I won't be wearing this watch. Very sad for me since I was eagerly anticipating this piece.
The hair on the dial is my biggest peeve.
I would return it had I bought it new.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I can't seem to figure out how to get the tap talk feature to turn on so I can't upload from my phone. I cleared cookies and everything and no pop up for the tap talk feature.
Why couldn't it have happened from the previous owner? Even I can open a watch, remove the crown and stem and expose the dial.

As for the lume - it's relative. I've never expected all night visibility from C3 or any hand applied lume. Doesn't work for me, maybe for others... but I grew up with tritium tubes and that is that when it comes to night visibility.

And by the way, I own seven Lüm-Tec watches. They're more than lume.. Get the fiber out of yours and you'll begin to appreciate that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why couldn't it have happened from the previous owner? Even I can open a watch, remove the crown and stem and expose the dial.

As for the lume - it's relative. I've never expected all night visibility from C3 or any hand applied lume. Doesn't work for me, maybe for others... but I grew up with tritium tubes and that is that when it comes to night visibility.

And by the way, I own seven Lüm-Tec watches. They're more than lume.. Get the fiber out of yours and you'll begin to appreciate that.
Well, the main draw was the lume for me. I wanted a watch I can read in the theatre mainly. People say the lume lasts all night, so I expected that.
I highly doubt the watch was disassembled from an owner who never wore it. Especially a watch that apparently requires a special tool made by LT to open.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Vengeance,

I think if you call Lum-Tec and ask for a service form, Bes or Chris will take care of you. They'd probably service the watch, replace the battery, give it a thorough inspection and get it back to you for a very nominal fee, or just for good will's sake, depending on your approach.

I've been around here for a while, and can count my encounters with dissatisfied customers on one hand. Contact Lum-Tec Lum Tec, LLC

Or email Chris, directly, (he's the owner) and get his input: [email protected]

Good Luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vengeance,

I think if you call Lum-Tec and ask for a service form, Bes or Chris will take care of you. They'd probably service the watch, replace the battery, give it a thorough inspection and get it back to you for a very nominal fee, or just for good will's sake, depending on your approach.

I've been around here for a while, and can count my encounters with dissatisfied customers on one hand. Contact Lum-Tec Lum Tec, LLC

Or email Chris, directly, (he's the owner) and get his input: [email protected]

Good Luck.
I DO like the look of the watch. The battery is fine. Everything is fine really. Save for the fiber, uncomfortable strap fitment, and lackluster lume (maybe I was just overhyped or need to wear it to the theatre first and see.)
The only thing they could really do for me is remove the fiber.
I'm in no way trying to knock the LT brand. Band fitment is out of their hands and that isn't their fault. I'm just giving my short experience with the watch. Not trying to flame or anything.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I never have lume all night as well. Probably, I usually wear under my shirt cuff. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
On the lume front, let me tell you my own experience.

I have three Lum-Tecs, but I don't have an LZ5 (great looking watch, by the way.). I have an M28, SuperCombat B2 and a V1. I think the lume is outstanding in all three, but I've never checked out an LZ5 at night.

People's expectations vary, vis a vis lume. Also, I've discovered that there's a wide range with regard to "night vision" and individual sensitivity to light. Human vision is highly variable, and we all have different percentages of cones (color) and rods (light acquisition) in our eyes. I have crappy eyesight, but I can see at night very well.

I can see each of my Lum-Tecs throughout the night and tell the time, no problem. Ditto movie theater viewing. Laz is right, I'm afraid: If you want a guaranteed early morning solution, Tritium tubes are going to be your only option. I'm not a big lover of the gas tube, route, because I like walking into a dark space -- say entering a dark restaurant from a bright sidewalk -- and being able to see the blazing readout that only excellent lume will give me.

I hope you resolve the issues you have with your LZ5 because it's a beautiful watch and you won't find a watch manufacturer that will be as responsive to your concerns as the guys at Lum-Tec.

·
Registered
750 Posts
^ Well said Ladd.

One other suggestion I'd make, Vengeance, is to perhaps test out a couple other methods of charging the lume. One hour under a UV lamp seems a bit excessive to me. I seem to recall Chris posting once (but I can't and/or I'm too lazy to find it at the moment :T ) that charging the lume up to its maximum brightness will give a great initial glow (great for photography and for showing off the lume), but the longevity of the glow suffers. To get the maximum longevity of glow from the lume, don't charge it to its maximum brightness. I think the suggestion was about a minute charge will do... hopefully someone else remembers reading that same post by Chris and can correct me if I'm remembering wrong!

ETA: Found the post I was referring to! Try these suggestions out, Vengeance, and see if they help any.

It is really a science in it's own but here is a quick reference of what we have found so far in our own testing:

Brightest lume = charge with a bright light or UV light long enough to charge all layers, about 60 seconds.

Longest lasting lume = charge with a normal light like a 60 watt bulb or sunlight for about 60 seconds.

It seems the brighter you charge it, the more excited it gets, and the faster it drains. If all layers are charged, it will glow the longest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Perhaps the other "issue" is one of expectation. The lume on my M19 glows a lot at first when coming into a dark area from even room light. But it doesn't stay that way all night. I can still read it after a few hours in the dark, but it won't glow as brightly but it is still much brighter relative to other watches (except those with Tritium...which I don't have).

As someone else mentioned as well...more than lume, they are also about customer service. One thing that I find enjoyable is the interaction with lum-tec and the sharing of ideas and design. You don't get that with others...and I think it is also one of the reason why this constantly has good traffic on the board.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I DO like the look of the watch. The battery is fine. Everything is fine really. Save for the fiber, uncomfortable strap fitment, and lackluster lume (maybe I was just overhyped or need to wear it to the theatre first and see.)
The only thing they could really do for me is remove the fiber.
I'm in no way trying to knock the LT brand. Band fitment is out of their hands and that isn't their fault. I'm just giving my short experience with the watch. Not trying to flame or anything.
None of your issues is serious enough to cause you toss and turn at night. First of all, give customer service a call, most likely you will be talking to Bes, one of the owners, they will take the watch back, re-align the spacer and dial, clean it up, give it a new seal, they might even send you a pre-paid lable to send it back. 2nd, order a deploy buckle, that will solve your small wrist with 48.5mm watch problem. 3rd of all, leave you watch by the window for whole day, then see what happens. I don't get whole nigh on my M13 and M25, but 3 or 4 am easily.
Btw, congrats on your first LUM, I don't have a LZ5, that is a beautiful watch, just little too big for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I get that the customer service is outstanding and I've talked to Chris via email briefly before receiving the watch. He responded within a minute of me hitting send. I was shocked.
I'm going to buy a new M from the LT site within a week or 2 and give that a shot. The LZ5 does need some field use, whether too tight or too lose I wear it. These were just initial impressions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
None of your issues is serious enough to cause you toss and turn at night. First of all, give customer service a call, most likely you will be talking to Bes, one of the owners, they will take the watch back, re-align the spacer and dial, clean it up, give it a new seal, they might even send you a pre-paid lable to send it back. 2nd, order a deploy buckle, that will solve your small wrist with 48.5mm watch problem. 3rd of all, leave you watch by the window for whole day, then see what happens. I don't get whole nigh on my M13 and M25, but 3 or 4 am easily.
Btw, congrats on your first LUM, I don't have a LZ5, that is a beautiful watch, just little too big for me.
Little underhanded on the wrist size comment.
Anyway, the watch wears much smaller than the case size suggests. And apart from my average wrist size, the rest of my arms are fairly built and defined, thus making the watch size appear appropriate regardless of my wrist.
It's not the case size that is the problem, it is the space between the band holes that is. They are too far apart and I refuse to cut a new hole into a watch limited to 150 pieces.
This is the first time I've encountered this problem with a watch strap.

I feel as if there are going to be more overtly defensive replies.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
at night or in the dark your eyes need to adjust and I noticed you said you had your phone out. the brightness of the display may have messed with your night vision and lessened the perception of your lume.. I don't know, I've not seen that watch but if you try 1 minute under a light source and then check it a few hours later after your eyes have been acclimated to the darkness, you might see a difference.

the best long lasting lume I have had was my Seiko Dive watches and the M49 I recently picked up is pretty comparable to them as far as I can tell. I understand some Lum-Tecs have better/longer glow due to the type of application, again I have no idea how the one you have stacks up since I've only seen one Lum-Tec (my M49) in person.

hope everything works out,:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, the main draw was the lume for me. I wanted a watch I can read in the theatre mainly. People say the lume lasts all night, so I expected that.
I highly doubt the watch was disassembled from an owner who never wore it. Especially a watch that apparently requires a special tool made by LT to open.
I now see your problem.... You don't know. It does not require a special tool from Lum-Tec to open the case, only a case wrench, which anyone can buy for ten bucks. No special tools. Just watch tools anyone can purchase.

And why do you automatically assume the "owner never wore it"? It's the same as a used car owned by a little old Sunday school teacher who only drove it to church services. Yeah.. right after the drag races.

The lume... you've got that one. I've heard and read the all night claims - and I love Lüm-Tec watches - but that has not been the case for me - and I have stated just that before on this forum. So, everyone is not saying they last all night -- I don't -- just the ones you've read.. There will be blood over this issue, as always. As I said, it's relative.

Get the trash out of your watch and enjoy it. Or see if the Sunday school teacher will refund your purchase price. Saving money sometimes is costly. If you can buy it new from the manufacturer, even for a few bucks more, you can keep several doors open to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I now see your problem.... You don't know. It does not require a special tool from Lum-Tec to open the case, only a case wrench, which anyone can buy for ten bucks. No special tools. Just watch tools anyone can purchase.

And why do you automatically assume the "owner never wore it"? It's the same as a used car owned by a little old Sunday school teacher who only drove it to church services. Yeah.. right after the drag races.

The lume... you've got that one. I've heard and read the all night claims - and I love Lüm-Tec watches - but that has not been the case for me - and I have stated just that before on this forum. So, everyone is not saying they last all night -- I don't -- just the ones you've read.. There will be blood over this issue, as always. As I said, it's relative.

Get the trash out of your watch and enjoy it. Or see if the Sunday school teacher will refund your purchase price. Saving money sometimes is costly. If you can buy it new from the manufacturer, even for a few bucks more, you can keep several doors open to you.
I do not exactly recall if I read it here or WUS, but it was stated that the case was made in 3 pieces that required a tool that LT created to separate these pieces.
It's very clear it was unworn, as in, nothing further than trying it on. No indentations of previous use. I can't wear any of my pvd watches longer than a week before I've gone and nicked them up. I wear all my watches to work and they hit against a lot of hard surfaces during maintenance. That's ok, I enjoy pvd wear.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do not exactly recall if I read it here or WUS, but it was stated that the case was made in 3 pieces that required a tool that LT created to separate these pieces.
It's very clear it was unworn, as in, nothing further than trying it on. No indentations of previous use. I can't wear any of my pvd watches longer than a week before I've gone and nicked them up. I wear all my watches to work and they hit against a lot of hard surfaces during maintenance. That's ok, I enjoy pvd wear.
'Kissy, kissy make it well' ain't gonna happen. Live with it. You bought something you don't really like. I suggest you become a "Sunday school teacher" and sell the never worn watch, however you had best quieten down a bit or the entire watch buying world will get wind of your "hairy" watch.

By the way, do you suppose this watch owner who never wore this watch was also a blind watch owner who did not also see the big old hairy deposit laying on the face of his never worn watch? You may need to reevaluate what you think and expect of internet sellers.

Fun's over, I'm done here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd echo what some of the others have said: send the watch back to Lüm-Tec to clean the face. And I would expect the problem with the lume was that you were reading a smartphone in the closet, thus compromising your night vision. Try this instead: charge it up one evening (i.e., after sunset). Then put it in a darkened room. An hour later, go into the room, and wait for your eyes to adjust.

I have around 7 Lüm-Tec watches and have found that they last through 2-3 hour movies pretty well. I've also noticed (with my M6) when I would wake up before sunrise, that the watch was still glowing faintly.

YMMV, of course, but I'd say you should try your own movie theater test to see what happens.

Lastly, about the strap, see if Lüm-Tec has any spares. Then, if you drill an extra hole in yours, you can at least be confident in knowing that you can get a replacement strap if it breaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
'Kissy, kissy make it well' ain't gonna happen. Live with it. You bought something you don't really like. I suggest you become a "Sunday school teacher" and sell the never worn watch, however you had best quieten down a bit or the entire watch buying world will get wind of your "hairy" watch.

By the way, do you suppose this watch owner who never wore this watch was also a blind watch owner who did not also see the big old hairy deposit laying on the face of his never worn watch? You may need to reevaluate what you think and expect of internet sellers.

Fun's over, I'm done here.
It would appear I have assaulted something dear to you. I will keep any future initial watch impressions away from you. Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A Lumzilla dying within an hour? I find that shocking as they look to be among the most heavily applied watch. one thing with Luminova that you have to understand is that the first hour die off curve is disheartenening when you are used to tritium. The brightmess is cut in half every 15 minutes or so. But I would think you could read that watch for seven 8 hours at your bedside no problem. Will it wow you after an hour? Nope. But it should be readable. Half the fun of Superlumoniva is getting yourself a small bright little flashight And charging that sucker because when it's at full bang nothing can touch it. I bought a very small 190 candlepower flashlight for 60 bucks for just this reason.

I'm in the habit of passing certain lamps and stopping and holding my wrist over it. I feel like an idiot if I wore a tritium that day, lol.

All that said there is a huge variation among the models in the brightness and longevity that has never been addressed adequately so that the customer has no idea what to expect until it shows up. Some watches last several hours longer than others and besides asking a forumer ahead of time there is no way to determine performance before you get it. But A Lumzilla should have the full piled high treatment and last you well into the night. You just have to understand that after an hour or so a 15 year Luminox will be beating it handliy in brightness but it will have a slow simmer where it's readable for a quite a long time. Especially at bedside. In a car at night or out in city lights you tend not to see the lume as much.

If they could only figure out a way to attenuate that first hour drop off so that it died more slowly. Even if it was only 80% as bright as now but the dropoff curve wasn't so severe I think that would be a performance improvement overall. Not going to happen though. Superluminova is neat stuff but you have to adjust your expectations from the tritium world. There are plenty of $3000 Swiss watches that can't touch a Lumtec in brightness. To half the industry Lume is an after thought. Rarely mentioned in reviews or detailed in specs. Glowing hands and markers. Too many people are satisfied with that description. You want some real fun go talk Lume with a watch salesman and watch the ignorance flow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will be giving LT a call after the holiday weekend about the fiber. If I have to buy a replacement strap to custom fit it, so be it. I really think this watch is gorgeous and I want to wear it. I'm sorry if my initial impression post was so super offensive to some.
About the lume being piled high, it's not really. I would assume the LZ7 is very thick in lume, but it appears very thin on the LZ5.
I did state that my first lume trial was just that, a first run and that I still need to take it out for normal use. I do have a UV LED flashlight I keep in my car for instant lume pop in the go, which is nice.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.