WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I purchased a 1986 Gucci 4200 on ebay and decided to polish the case. Such was my vigour that I have rubbed off
most of the gold plate.
I can post the watch to the uk and have the case electroplated in gold. This will cost about £75.00 including postage back to me in spain. The company will strip the watch for me which is included in the price.
However the minute hand has fallen off. As an alternative I can buy on ebay a brand new watch case for about £40.00
including postage. I must then pay a jeweller to change over the case and re-fit the minute hand.
My first question is rhetorical and is whether the seller of my watch had the original case very cheaply re-plated because
I didnt use an abrasive polish just a soft cloth. Alternatively did my watch leave the factory with the thinnest possible gold plating in which case it seems pointless buying another new one. Perhaps having the case re-plated may well place a thicker coating of gold on the case.
What might a uk jeweller charge for changing a case and re-fitting the hand.
All opinions would be very welcome. thanks jack.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sounds like a "re-plate" to me. I doubt that Gucci would have put out a crap product especially with their reputation on the line. For the price of the new watch case, that's what I would do. I have no clue what a watchmaker, NOT A JEWELER, would charge for a swap out, but I can't imagine it would be too bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hawk53, thanks very much. Come to think of it when I first got the watch I thought it looked as though it had gold coloured paint on the case but decided that I was imagining it. Perhaps I wasnt. The new case it is. Thanks again. jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts