WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am betting some don't know just how limited the Bull 45 A16H RG's are and I think you can still order one (You will have to check the Lum-Tec site etc. =)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am betting some don't know just how limited the Bull 45 A16H RG's are and I think you can still order one (You will have to check the Lum-Tec site etc. =)
No, I didn't know that. I only have one A series, an A6. I've just found the right strap for me - NATO - a five ring black and burgundy from Panatime. I don't like the feel of rubber straps. They look great, but here in Florida they feel clammy clingy.

May check into the A16H. I don't have a gold watch in my kit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, I didn't know that. I only have one A series, an A6. I've just found the right strap for me - NATO - a five ring black and burgundy from Panatime. I don't like the feel of rubber straps. They look great, but here in Florida they feel clammy clingy.

May check into the A16H. I don't have a gold watch in my kit.
AMEN! Rubber straps just feel creepy (and clammy and clingy). Well said, Laz. I think learning about NATOs from WTF is the second best thing I have learned.

Back OT...20 is a small run even for LT!

Chris

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes, I know and own one of them :w00t: I should wear it more than I do though...

The A16H (RG) is very comfy to wear and quite unique in the Bull line-up being to only non-quartz model.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have looked at that watch too! It is one of only a couple of Lum-Tec styles I do not own yet! Just not sure if the Bull works in Gold:confused1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It looks pretty cool in RG... In real life it is less red than the picture but you get the idea...

Wearing mine right now :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It looks pretty cool in RG... In real life it is less red than the picture but you get the idea...

Wearing mine right now :thumbup1:
The gold makes it really unique for an 'A' and the movement is my all time favorite. Too bad my watch budget is broke for a while - a long while --- mid year at least.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Yes, I know and own one of them :w00t: I should wear it more than I do though...

The A16H (RG) is very comfy to wear and quite unique in the Bull line-up being to only non-quartz model.
CT, I have been straddling the fence for a couple years, now, about Lum-Tec bulls. The A16H has been the one watch that's been almost irresistible in the bull line. I love everything about it, except for the location of the crown, the winding issues it presents, and the fact that -- given the watch's mechanical watch movement -- it needs to be wound every day. I have bugged Chris about seeking a "custom" solution by way of substituting a larger crown, etc. I can notch a strap, if necessary, to accommodate a larger crown, if that turns out to be necessary.

I also have the usual nitpicking list -- much of it well rehearsed by other LT lovers -- concerning minor A16H "improvements" that are really more "style" than substance; I wanted to know how you felt about some of these, too.

The Bull case looks massive to me, which I like, but what I'm concerned about is that fitting it with a thick strap wouldn't be possible owing, again, to the 12 O'clock crown location and its interference with the lug-end of the strap. As the owner of two mechanical Bulls, your experience on this issue -- especially where strap options are concerned -- would be very helpful: Are you limited to thinner (e.g., the OEM rubber or NATO-style...) straps? When I first got my V1, I wasn't happy with it until I fitted it with a MUCH thicker/wider strap. I think massive watch cases look very strange when fitted with small, underweight straps. Kinda like the 265 pound, Michelin-inflated Arnold Schwarzenegger, when he used to oil up and pose wearing a Speedo; not a good look.

In looking at pictures on the web, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the A16H taken from the side, with the watch laid on a flat surface. What I'd like to see is an image that shows how close the crown is to the lug-end of the OEM strap. Can you mount a thicker, aftermarket -- say 6mm+ strap to this watch -- and would you still be able to pull the crown out to set the time? The thing that makes me dubious is that I haven't seen any pictures of A16Hs -- or bulls in general -- on heavy straps.

I'm also disappointed by the small window in the display caseback, which shows only a small part of the beautiful ETA 6497-1 decorated movement. Wondered how you felt about that, too.

I've been tottering on the teeter for a long time, and it wouldn't take much to persuade me to buy this watch; there are plenty of them left, so I don't feel panicked, and I'd really appreciate your views.

Also, any pictures that you might have handy that show the case from the side (closeup of the crown/strap intersection) would be VERY much appreciated! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
CT, I have been straddling the fence for a couple years, now, about Lum-Tec bulls. The A16H has been the one watch that's been almost irresistible in the bull line. I love everything about it, except for the location of the crown, the winding issues it presents, and the fact that -- given the watch's mechanical watch movement -- it needs to be wound every day. I have bugged Chris about seeking a "custom" solution by way of substituting a larger crown, etc. I can notch a strap, if necessary, to accommodate a larger crown, if that turns out to be necessary.

I also have the usual nitpicking list -- much of it well rehearsed by other LT lovers -- concerning minor A16H "improvements" that are really more "style" than substance; I wanted to know how you felt about some of these, too.

The Bull case looks massive to me, which I like, but what I'm concerned about is that fitting it with a thick strap wouldn't be possible owing, again, to the 12 O'clock crown location and its interference with the lug-end of the strap. As the owner of two mechanical Bulls, your experience on this issue -- especially where strap options are concerned -- would be very helpful: Are you limited to thinner (e.g., the OEM rubber or NATO-style...) straps? When I first got my V1, I wasn't happy with it until I fitted it with a MUCH thicker/wider strap. I think massive watch cases look very strange when fitted with small, underweight straps. Kinda like the 265 pound, Michelin-inflated Arnold Schwarzenegger, when he used to oil up and pose wearing a Speedo; not a good look.

In looking at pictures on the web, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the A16H taken from the side, with the watch laid on a flat surface. What I'd like to see is an image that shows how close the crown is to the lug-end of the OEM strap. Can you mount a thicker, aftermarket -- say 6mm+ strap to this watch -- and would you still be able to pull the crown out to set the time? The thing that makes me dubious is that I haven't seen any pictures of A16Hs -- or bulls in general -- on heavy straps.

I'm also disappointed by the small window in the display caseback, which shows only a small part of the beautiful ETA 6497-1 decorated movement. Wondered how you felt about that, too.

I've been tottering on the teeter for a long time, and it wouldn't take much to persuade me to buy this watch; there are plenty of them left, so I don't feel panicked, and I'd really appreciate your views.

Also, any pictures that you might have handy that show the case from the side (closeup of the crown/strap intersection) would be VERY much appreciated! :thumbup1:

Hi Ladd,

I feel the one downside this watch has, winding it, doesn't weigh in heavy enough to pass on it...

Indeed winding it is a bit of a challenge but I have so many watches I simply don't wear this one each and every day, and as such I don't need to wind it all that often. :T
That said, the times I do need to wind it makes you want to try out a few different techniques, but it always remains a bit of a challenge due to the small crown.
It certainly is do-able, you just have to take a little more time on this one than your average hand winding watch...

A bigger crown could be a solution, you could notch a strap, but can you notch a spring bar? :lol:

As for straps... mine is on a ~4mm thick leather strap at the moment. There are 2 sets of holes so you definitely can still go with a thicker strap.
Else, you could always think about something like you did with the V leather strap that had the V shape leather on top?
In other words start to make it thicker where the strap clears the lug area, so you won't get in trouble with the bullhead crown at all...

I will try to take some side/lug shots of my watch to give you a better idea of the crown clearances tomorrow and post back here.

Oh, I have to agree it is a pity that the back crystal isn't any bigger.
Bes said they found the Bull to look too tough for a dressy full size display back...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts