WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The recent thread by Spaceview M2 prompted me to have another look at some of the very earliest Accurton solid gold cases just to see if any in white gold could be identified by reference number and/or model. I started with those made in 1960 for introduction at Baselworld and likely cast by Bulova at Sag Harbor, NY. What I found was amazing if not shocking. The photos posted here are of what appears to be a 2319 "Spiral Lug" case in "14K" white gold with an "M0" date code. I had saved these photos, probably from eBay, on March 20 of last year for future use but never looked at them closely.

Is that "brassing" I see or is it a yellow gold case showing under white gold plate?

A little Photoshop to bring out the color of the underlying case material.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
Hmmmm......? It does appear to show some rub-through to a different colored base in the areas that you would typically see some common rubbing/wear areas. As you mentioned, would it possibly be a yellow Gold case with a Thin micron layer of Rhodium to make it look like white Gold that has worn through overtime?

I know Replateit does offer a 'decorative' 5-micron thick layer of Rhodium as an 'option' when you have a white gold case restored. It's not a necessity as part of restoration but they do offer it as a final finish decorative option. You really can't tell the visual difference between a non restored white gold case and a restored case with a decorative Rhodium layer applied. But if a thin decorative layer was put over a true yellow gold case, would it eventually rub through like the pics above?:unsure:

I can't say any of my white gold cases ever looked like the pics you have provided.

Below is a pic of two 2304 cases. The one of the left has been restored by Replateit and it had a 5-micron thin layer of Rhodium applied. The right-hand case is factory and crisp and has not been restored. As you can see, the Rhodium applied case looks nearly identical to the factory white gold look.

So a thin layer of Rhodium(or whatever white gold appearing application they may have been using back then) could have been applied to the YG 2319 case in question and eventually rubbed through.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am intrigued. All the early advertisements I have for the spiral lug accutrons shows the 18k model with yellow gold. I don't know when the 14k spiral lug was introduced as I have only seen those in later production years. I haven't tested my spiral lug 114P prototype case to see if its 14k or 18k yellow gold, but it's certainly possible Bulova made a few 14k white gold spiral lugs at that time. It's also possible somebody a long time ago put spare parts together, replated it, and it has since worn off the plating.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
I am intrigued. All the early advertisements I have for the spiral lug accutrons shows the 18k model with yellow gold. I don't know when the 14k spiral lug was introduced as I have only seen those in later production years. I haven't tested my spiral lug 114P prototype case to see if its 14k or 18k yellow gold, but it's certainly possible Bulova made a few 14k white gold spiral lugs at that time. It's also possible somebody a long time ago put spare parts together, replated it, and it has since worn off the plating.
If you have any of those ads showing the 2319 case in 18kt gold, I would like to see them. The only 2319 Spiral Lug cases I have seen were from 1960-1965ish and all were 14kt yellow or white gold. If I recall correctly, we have had two forum members that owned this 2319 case and it turned out to be a Gold Filled Case. Very interesting story about it if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
The recent thread by Spaceview M2 prompted me to have another look at some of the very earliest Accurton solid gold cases just to see if any in white gold could be identified by reference number and/or model. I started with those made in 1960 for introduction at Baselworld and likely cast by Bulova at Sag Harbor, NY.
Here are three 2319 case Models. 2 are white gold. You may already have these on file.

Shows the 556/557. Article dated Mar 1961

·
Registered
123 Posts
20+ years ago my Wife and I were on an Alaskan cruise and took a shore excursion to one of the towns along the way. She hauled me into a jewelry store where she found a ring she liked. It was available in either yellow or white gold, and she chose white.

Couple years later it looked kinda like the case you show (she suggested we go back and return it, lol). I have no idea what the plating was, but she wore the ring for many years and it at least appeared to be yellow gold underneath the plating, as it didn't tarnish like brass would have.

Maybe someone bought the watch in question, then had it plated white? Doesn't appear to be white gold filled with brassing; not enough wear/polishing has occurred to disturb the original sharp corners and contours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I find this topic by accident looking for white gold M0 Spiral lug photos. Look at this one
IMG_2117.jpeg
, do you see something interesting? May I ask where and when you bought your watch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts