WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few invicta dive watches that have some desk diving marks on the braclet and clasp. What do you guys recomend to get rid of those, should I just use some metal polish and a rag? or get some rags that are already soaked in polish? They don't really bother me, I just want to clean them up you know.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If they are brushed, a green scotch brite pad, if they are polished, some cape cod cloths work decent. If you want a little more muscle, you can try some brasso with a polishing bit for a dremel tool, but use low speed and be careful. The dremel's bit is a on the small side and can dig in a little too much if not careful.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If they are brushed, a green scotch brite pad, if they are polished, some cape cod cloths work decent. If you want a little more muscle, you can try some brasso with a polishing bit for a dremel tool, but use low speed and be careful. The dremel's bit is a on the small side and can dig in a little too much if not careful.
x2 :thumbup1:

The scotch brite for brushed is quick and does a great job, polished takes a little more work especially is it's a Cape Cod cloth, if you haven't bought them yet DON'T, way over hyped...plenty of other products just as good , most better.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what sort of other stuff is out there? the bracelets are polished, there not brushed, I mean there not super bad, I just want to clean them up, I mean can I just take some mothers metal polish and rag to them? or is that gonna be too harsh you think?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
what sort of other stuff is out there? the bracelets are polished, there not brushed, I mean there not super bad, I just want to clean them up, I mean can I just take some mothers metal polish and rag to them? or is that gonna be too harsh you think?
I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish on mine and it works like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
15,657 Posts
I swear by Mother's M&AP! A little goes a very long way. The stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, I have a can of it in my garage from when I polished the tunnel on my snowmobile. I have planned on doing it today, I'm kinda looking forward to cleaning all my dive watches.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
thanks for the info, I have a can of it in my garage from when I polished the tunnel on my snowmobile. I have planned on doing it today, I'm kinda looking forward to cleaning all my dive watches.
Some 'before and after' pics would be really appreciated. Members are always keen to see the results when one type or brand is recommended over another, especially if one is cheaper, better, or easier than the other(s) :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some 'before and after' pics would be really appreciated. Members are always keen to see the results when one type or brand is recommended over another, especially if one is cheaper, better, or easier than the other(s) :thumbup1:
I will do that, I plan on doing this on saturday night actually, so I will take some pics of my severely owned grand diver and 9210. Thats a good idea too, I have never done anything such as before and after pics, but this will be agood way to get my feet wet. stay tuned!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Should have done before and after thread on my dad's watch I let him wear. I used some dremel bits and MAAS polishing creme and Pinnacle Polish for my brushed satin finish watches.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
well guys, here are the pics from me polishing the band on my invicta 9210, which was really beat up from desk diving. Well today I had some free time, so I went into the race shop and grabbed the Honda metal polish and a new rag. First I took some pics of the damaged band. Granted I don't have a great camera so the pics might be a little iffy.

Here are the before pics

As you can see there are some pretty serious marks on the band. I used a good amount of polish and a new cotton rag, I applied a few coats of metal polish then slowly rubbed it in, applied a few more coats and then really rubbed it off. It took me about 30 minutes or so, and I think it turned out pretty good, I know you never gonna get all of the scratches out, but I just wanted to clean up the clasp and the band. The clasp was the easiest to clean, the band it's slef wasn't bad to clean since you can manipulate the band and clean all the tiny little areas.

applied polish

finished product

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Thanks for the before & afters, they do show the big difference you've made :thumbup1:. It's an inexpensive and effective way to breath new life into watches that are starting to look well-worn.
Cheers.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i am a micromesh man myself. for matte finishes i use 1500 then 4000. for polished finishes i use 1500 then 4000 then 6000 then 8000 (16000 is sort of overkill but some folks like overkill). micromesh is very pliable and flexible and one can have more control over it in tight spots. since i have the stuff around for woodworking the cost is nothing--you can wash the stuff.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the before & afters, they do show the big difference you've made :thumbup1:. It's an inexpensive and effective way to breath new life into watches that are starting to look well-worn.
Cheers.
thanks for the kind words, I enjoyed cleaning and polishing the band, and it did really come back to life. Some of the desk diving scratches were pretty bad. My invicta grand diver is to the pint of no return, the logo is completely worn down and smooth, the bands has chips out of it, and the case is pretty much destroyed.

Sorry my camera sucks you guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts