WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused1:
Okay, can anyone clear this one up? I have seen a fairly even split in postings describing bracelets/clasps that either talk about a deployant clasp or a deployment clasp.
I can't find any dictionary or encyclopedia that defines deployant (after a quick online search). I even tried French & German since I figured Swiss watches have these influences in terminology, but - Nada, nothing, zero, doughnut, zip.
So, opinions/help please - is there such a word as deployant?
Probably a strange thing to wonder, but I'm curious about the origin of this word.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
:confused1:
Okay, can anyone clear this one up? I have seen a fairly even split in postings describing bracelets/clasps that either talk about a deployant clasp or a deployment clasp.
I can't find any dictionary or encyclopedia that defines deployant (after a quick online search). I even tried French & German since I figured Swiss watches have these influences in terminology, but - Nada, nothing, zero, doughnut, zip.
So, opinions/help please - is there such a word as deployant?
Probably a strange thing to wonder, but I'm curious about the origin of this word.
Cheers.

Deployant. :cool:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
According to Webster's, "deployant" does not exist.

Frankly, I don't much care what they're called. I just want the little metal clippy-thing on my strap watches...

:biggrin:

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Apparently the word only exists in the world of watches.
It is however the term I use because I have heard it more often than deployment

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
From my readings, the term deployant is correct, but in terms of usage, the terms deployant and deployment are used interchangeably by reputable sites.

Deployant: Google Search

Deployment Buckle Google Search

From one source:

"Deployant This clasp mechanism found on most high-end watches derives its name from the French adjective Deployant - which means to unfold, unfurl or spread out. Commonly and mistakenly called Deployment, the Deployant clasp is an expanding metal clasp that permits both metal and fabric bracelets to close invisibly around the wrist."

Gemnation

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Deployment is something that happens to troops.

Trust you to come up with this BoZ.

Well you have a point there Mr Time.

If Homer qualifies, so should WISes

WatchRob

I love your avatar

and Mr Philpott

I believe you've cracked it

Y'all have a nice weekend pals

ZIN

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Grady, I knew someone here would have an explanation. Strange that I couldn't find it in a French-English dictionary, but never mind.
Thanks all for your comments.
Perhaps someone could post a pic of a deployment of deployants :001_tt2:

From my readings, the term deployant is correct, but in terms of usage, the terms deployant and deployment are used interchangeably by reputable sites.

Deployant: Google Search

Deployment Buckle Google Search

From one source:

"Deployant This clasp mechanism found on most high-end watches derives its name from the French adjective Deployant - which means to unfold, unfurl or spread out. Commonly and mistakenly called Deployment, the Deployant clasp is an expanding metal clasp that permits both metal and fabric bracelets to close invisibly around the wrist."

Gemnation

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Another horological conundrum solved.
Thanks Grady.
Tonite I shall sleep the sound sleep of a satisfied WIS!!

until I start thinking about whether or not movements "settle in" or how long an automatics service interval is or how to say ETA or..................................................:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Fixed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts