WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By a vote of WTF members in December, 2007, an overwhelming majority approved the formation of a new forum, focusing on Hamilton watches. So on January 1, 2008 on behalf of my colleague and co-moderator, foghorn, we welcome you to our new home.

This original American brand, born in Lancaster, PA in 1892 has a rich history and tradition. Among the highlights are the Broadway Limited, a pocket watch that made the railways safe, serving the US Army with the company's first wristwatch, and the design of the first electric and digital watches.

With roots in fine Swiss watchmaking tradition, this American company became part of the Swatch Group in the 1990's yet it has not forgotten its American upbringing, values, and style.

We hope you visit often, posting comments, pictures, questions and anything related to Hamilton watches.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts

The coming of a Hamilton Forum deserves a celebratory momento

MANY CONGRATULATIONS

Hillary didn't have anything to do with this Rusty? :confused1:

Perhaps Al Gore may have invented it ;) :lol:

Only j/k pal

Have fun here guys

and a great 2008

ZIN

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I am so excited about this new forum, even though I have only one Hamilton so far. :D

I thought I would sum up a few interesting facts about Hamilton, along with a link to the source "Wikipedia."

1. The Hamilton Watch Company was established when the Keystone Standard Watch Company was forced into bankruptcy and sold at a sheriff's sale to a group of Lancaster, Pennsylvania entrepreneurs whose "objective was to build only watches of the highest quality."

2. Hamilton Watch Company was housed on a thirteen acre complex in Lancaster. Hamilton eventually took possession of 'Aurora's' machinery shortly after incorporation. With quality being Hamilton's primary goal, the company set out to manufacture "America’s Finest Watch."

3. In 1951, Hamilton rebuffed a hostile takeover bid by the Benrus watch company.

4. In 1962, Hamilton entered into a joint venture (60% owned by Hamilton) with the Japanese watchmaking firm Ricoh to produce electric watches meant primarily for the Japanese market. The electronic components were produced at Hamilton's Lancaster factory while production of the mechanical works and final assembly was undertaken in Japan. Although production levels of Hamilton-Ricoh watches was high (over 1000 per month), demand was low and consequently, the Hamilton-Ricoh partnership was unable to compete with the substantial market presence of Seiko. The partnership was dissolved in 1965, with the remaining Hamilton-Ricoh electronic movements (marked "Ricoh 555E") re-cased as "Vantage" and sold in the US.

5. In 1966, Hamilton acquired the Buren Watch Company in Switzerland, including all factories and technologies that had been developed by Buren up to that point. From 1966 to 1969, Hamilton Lancaster and Buren Switzerland were operated as a joint concern, with Hamilton using a number of Swiss movements for their "American" watches and Buren utilizing a number of components manufactured by Hamilton Lancaster.

6. :scared: :sad: In 1969, the Hamilton Watch Company completely ceased its American manufacturing operations with the closure of its factory in Lancaster, PA, shifting the entire balance of its manufacturing operations to the Buren factory in Switzerland. From 1969 to 1972, all new Hamilton watches were produced in Switzerland by Hamilton's Buren subsidiary. In 1971, the Buren brand was returned to Swiss ownership and by 1972, the Buren-Hamilton partnership was dissolved and the factory liquidated, due to decreased interest and sales of the Hamilton-Buren product.

7. :thumbup::thumbup1: In 1972, SIHH (Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie) purchased the Hamilton brand and utilized the Hamilton name for a number of branding efforts, including numerous Quartz watches in the 1980s. The Hamilton brand was eventually purchased by The Swatch Group Ltd. in the late 1990s.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this. To fill in much more detail, go to the source!

Swiss Joint Venture Rare Hamilton/Buren 666 Caliber Microrotor Movement

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
@KW

I think we've been around forums too long Eric-I remember when you got the Lloyd!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts