WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on another forums which shall remain nameless, there was some criticisms being directed a Lum-tec, I felt compelled to defend the brand and Chris, especially when one poster called us all fanboys that didn't really know what a good watch is, some others supported those sentiments, here is my post.

I just signed up to post in this thread, I am that passionate about Chris and his company Lumtec.
I started watch collecting only about 1 year ago and I already have 11 watches now, seven of which are Lumtecs, 3 Quartz, 4 Mechanical. I also have a couple of Stolas, a company that is like Lumtec in many ways, just a little different style.

Here are the points I like about Lumtec from my personal experience.
1)As far as I am concerned they offer the best $ for dollar value in the industry, and I own the most expensive watch they made.
2)I have communicated directly with the President of Lumtec numerous times, Chris is awesome.
3)The one real problem I had was instantly rectified for free no questions asked.(It's wasn't even with the watch but the strap)
4)When I tested there legendary customer service beyond the call of duty, as in returning a watch($1000) that was in perfect shape for full credit 6 months later, they did it. I just didn't want it anymore, pretty amazing, right? That's what you can do when you develop a relationship with a smaller watch company, where the President actually knows of you.
5)When I asked for deal on price, I got it.
6)There delivery is extra fast compared to other internet vendors.
7)Finally Chris listens to his customer base who influence the design of his watches and are more Prosumers than customers.

So call us fanboys if you like, but the above listed reasons are why I am a huge fan of Lumtec watches, and it why the fan base is growing.

Anybody that is considering any Lumtec watch should order with confidence. But be warned they are addictive as I found out, to the detriment of my wallet.
The Lumzilla is not my style either, and is not representative of the entire line up. I just got a Super-combat from them and it is such a tough looking manly watch on a black Nato strap, it just screams I mean serious business on the wrist.
Interestingly, not one person responded to or addressed my post.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No need to get too worked up, no watch brand is unanimously loved by all, not even Seiko.

Firstly, Lum-Tec is no Kobold. Kobold is one of the few watch companies that actually makes me cringe. $4000 for a non-scratch resistant PVD watch.

Secondly, I love the polished and super hard M Tungstens and I think they're well worth the price considering the case will look almost pristine decades later.

Thirdly, yes some watches are pricey, but some of the designs/lume combos/materials are very hard to come by.

I have no insecurities about being a Lum-Tec fan.

·
Registered
455 Posts
People on that forum just want something to complain about, I wouldn't worry about it.

The fact is that LT should not be free from criticism. They are a new company that will have their issues. The great thing about Chris and company is that they genuinely care and listen to the people that buy and love the watches. Quality problems will arise as with any new product, and they will adapt and improve.

Call me a Lum-Tec fanboy of you want, me and my M26 don't care :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
All brands will suffer from some criticism. Even Rolex, Omega....you name it.
Some will not even be convinced by anything anyone would say. Usually the same people who ASSumptions about a brand, what it represents, and the people who buy them.

As long as you are happy with the brand and know what you are buying and why, stick with it.

We all have our own reasons for buying watches.

Edit: One reason I like Lum Tec...I also like getting involve and seeing the design process. You won't find that in any of the big name brands.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I love Lum-Tec watches because they are manufactured by some great people! I own some seriously high end watches and I have never heard from anyone in those companies! I proudly wear my Lum-Tec's as part of my rotation!

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
All watches do the same thing; they tell time.

I own several "prestige" watches (e.g., Rolex, Omega, etc.), but none has given me the fun that my Lum-Tecs have. That's purely a subjective thing, of course, but -- objectively speaking -- my odyssey of repair and service disappointments with high-end manufacturers of Swiss watches is instructive. I just got my one of my dad's watches back from Rolex/Houston, and the tab was $685.00 for "cleaning and battery replacement."

Say, wha...?

Service, after the sale, is HUGE for me.

Lum-Tec is all about service. If you have a problem with a watch, they will make it right and -- in my experience -- company integrity extends well past the warranty period. If it's a watch component failure -- and it's clearly not a result of customer abuse/stupidity -- you can count on your watch being fixed, without cost, virtually forever.

Free lifetime battery replacement? Free automatic movement regulation for the life of the movement?

Who does that??

Then there's the fun of interaction with Lum-Tec principals and staff on this forum; they are great guys, and they actually listen to our design input. What's that worth to you, and where can you duplicate that experience anyplace else in the watch ownership universe?

You won't find it in Geneva. :001_tt2:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you guys are saying is true, but it's like they are slandering the brand, and that I will not tolerate, slander is not an opinion.

Ladd even brought out more points than my seven as well, things I had forgotten about, or services I have never used yet.
One person even went so for as to say service has to be better because the brand is poorer, and has more problems.
I was, WHAT? Not my experience at all, rather the complete opposite.

Another poster said they sold all there Lumtecs, I think they had three, because "he wanted to like them, more than he actually did".
The word "fickle" comes to mind. But then lots of that goes on, flipping watches, but even in this sub-forum you don't see people totally abandoning a brand, selling all of that brand off, usually they at least keep one, for diversity sake.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I know what you guys are saying is true, but it's like they are slandering the brand, and that I will not tolerate, slander is not an opinion.

Ladd even brought out more points than my seven as well, things I had forgotten about, or services I have never used yet.
One person even went so for as to say service has to be better because the brand is poorer, and has more problems.
I was, WHAT? Not my experience at all, rather the complete opposite.

Another poster said they sold all there Lumtecs, I think they had three, because "he wanted to like them, more than he actually did".
The word "fickle" comes to mind. But then lots of that goes on, flipping watches, but even in this sub-forum you don't see people totally abandoning a brand, selling all of that brand off, usually they at least keep one, for diversity sake.
There's an upside to this, man...

It's in my interest for Lum-Tec to remain a small, family owned brand plagued by one sub-set of humanity's perception that "the brand is poorer." This way I won't ever have to compete for Chris' attention when I want something, PRONTO.

I'll trade this twit's low opinion of Lum-Tec, any time, for the exclusivity I'm enjoying because I don't recognize a bad watch when I see one. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's an upside to this, man...

It's in my interest for Lum-Tec to remain a small, family owned brand plagued by one sub-set of humanity's perception that "the brand is poorer." This way I won't ever have to compete for Chris' attention when I want something, PRONTO.

I'll trade this twit's low opinion of Lum-Tec, any time, for the exclusivity I'm enjoying because I don't recognize a bad watch when I see one. :lol::lol:
Good points, as always, big enough to be excellent in style and substance, small enough to give personal attention to each customer who asks for it. I think it's a great spot to be in the watch market these days.
Of coarse there are those that will continue to critique it, because they will only buy in-house movement brands, and I will put my M26 and it's movement up against all those feelings, and feel confident that they spent more, for whatever reason they perceive.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
We really appreciate all of your support! There will always be some people who don't like the look of a watch or they are a big fan of a competing brand so they will do everything they can to put the said brand down for no logical reason other than to attempt sound intelligent. The fact is that it is most likely most of these people have ever even seen our watches in person much less owned one. It is the same with any product or any brand. There are always those select few people who want badly for someone to fail. Its sad that some people can be like that. We do everything possible to ensure our owners are happy with thier watches. I don't care if they bought new, 2nd hand, 3rd hand or 4th hand or if they are under warranty or not. If you own a LÜM-TEC, we want it to be prestine and working perfectly and we want you to enjoy it to its full extent! We put so much attention into the details and quality control that we see VERY LITTLE amounts of our watches back for service. Probably around 20-25 watches/month and that would include adjustments and battery replacements as well as damage repairs, customizing, etc. and we sell on average 5000 LÜM-TEC watches per year and much more than that we manufacture and warranty for other brands.. I would say thats pretty amazing for any type of manufacturer! Also our average service turnaround has got to be the fastest in the industry with an average time of 2 business days. A lot of guys on said forum compare a Seiko price to our prices. It is completely irrelevant as we are making super small quantities and using higher grade components as well. When you make hundreds of thousands of one watch as compared to our 100-300 of each, of course the cost is MUCH lower. I believe our pricing is extremely good for what we offer and the 5000+ LÜM-TECs we sell per year are a pretty good indicator that we have our watches priced right. Again we really appreciate you guys sticking up for us and we appreciate your support for our brand. We will continue to keep improving and we will continue to do what we do best: Making the watches you love!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments. They are greatly and sincerely appreciated. We equally welcome praise and constructive criticism.

We are well aware that in 7+ billion **** sapiens sapiens gifted with free will inhabiting (read infesting) Earth, there will be a significant percentage of those not happy with what we make. And that is perfectly OK.

In the immortal words of the venerable Alfred E. Newman:

Be happy, great things are right around the corner! :001_smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
It takes Blancpain 8 weeks to service a watch ;)

I own several watches ranging from 500 usd to 50.000 USD and it's all about what you like and love. My lum-tec is no less to me then my 50k Christiaan van der Klaauw. They are just in a different leagues and I wear them at different occassions. But if you look at the passion about watches there's no difference. I recently visited the van der klaauw "factory" and felt the love and passion about watches. They make about 350 watches a year. Their servicing takes about 4 weeks. But they respond in the same manner as LT does. My experience with LT is great but the first watch (a SC B1) has still to prove itself in durability. I have no doubts that it will but I just own it for a month now. What I like about LT is the influence we have on the upcoming products, the innovative thinking about case-material, the fast communication cycles and willingness to solve the issues at hand. You get the feeling that LT really listens to it's customers or potential ones.

So keep the good work and I'll be ordering some more in the future.

Still anxiously waiting for the 2 300M's I ordered :D

Erik

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Frankly I don't care what detractors say about Lum-Tec. Those of us who are fans of Lum-Tec watches and the company that makes them know what we have and what the company is all about. That is enough for me! :thumbup1: Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Meh let people hate LT, more for me. I have had nothing but great experience with LT, they are the standard I will use to judge all other watch brands. In short Lum Tec and the LT team rock.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just tweaked their jets a bit on the other forum.

You're right .... there are some nimrods hanging out there .... some real know-it-alls .... educated far beyond their intelligence.

I've seen their kind before. In my mind's eye, I see them as short and rather portly, most likely wearing a tee-shirt, three sizes too small, stretched over their pussel-gut, with their belly button showing. Oh, and they probably drive an old crapped-out Chevy van that sports a faded Native American motif paint job, and it probably has at least a dozen antennas mounted on top because they are in to ham radio. I see them all the time riding around, backing up traffic, with their arm hanging out the window because their A/C died a decade ago. You can't carry on a conversation with these guys because they try to suffocate you with their "knowledge." Real loserville, if you ask me. Misery on two legs.

Celebrate the truth!

Lum Tec speaks for itself.

OkeefenokeeJoe

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.