WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I bought mine on a whim, it's an auto (Miyota)...they are Chinese made off the shelf bulk designs where minimum orders are usually 500 or more with custom logos and slight design changes.

It seems rugged enough, the fit and finish is OK, the bracelet rough and cheaply made compared to a Seiko of the same price range.

It's thick heavy and mine keeps amazing time, so for what I paid for mine I'm happy although sizing the bracelet was a fiasco, (cheap pins) I like it for the price.

It's a design thing, if you like it and can get a good price then I'd say try it, but if it's for say a general inexpensive auto diver I'd stick with a Seiko :001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
The movements are Japanese or Swiss in origin. The case, bracelet, and other materials are Chinese. The the whole thing is assembled in Hong Kong, China. I own four myself and really enjoy them.

The customer service is top notch too. I sent one in and had it back in less than a week.

I wouldn't worry so much about whether its made in China as long as its made well and the manufacturer stands behind it.

Your going to have a tough time finding any watch at this price point that does not incorporate Chinese parts or Chinese labor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
The Protac uses a basic Miyota 8215. Deep Blue's higher end or more expensive models use the 9015, 9100, and ETA 2824. The 9015 is a high end Japanese movement developed to compete with Swiss movements, specifically the ETA 2836. The water resistance is higher on some models. Also bezel materials differ with some using Sapphire and Ceramic. All of these features will add to the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
The 8215 is an automatic movement, albeit a basic one, but it's still a mechanical automatic and its a work horse. I own a handful of watches that use it and all of them are super accurate. The movements will come from the manufacturer on regulated. Meaning that they have not been adjusted or only been adjusted to a couple positions for accuracy. Let me just check their website and I'll come back with a plus and minus you should expect.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
The Miyota website has that movement at -20 ~ +40 seconds. A lot goes into those numbers though like temperature and if it's fully wound or running low. In my experience I would expect you to get under plus or minus 15 seconds overall unless something was wrong. BTW all those numbers are over a 24 hour period, to give a little perspective.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deep Blue diver watches

I was mistaken,the ProTac uses a Seiko VX43 quartz movement,that's what the desctiption says. I can assume it will give me + or - 15 seconds a month.
With a depth rating of 1000M,who do you send it to for a battery change and to be re-certified for 1000 meters?

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I'm sorry I got it completely confused with the deep Blue Sunray Diver which looks exactly the same. The only difference is the movement. Your accuracy will always be much better on a quartz. Plus or minus 10 seconds or less a month would be good.

How much are they selling the Protac for? I prefer automatics. If there isn't a huge difference in price take a look at the Sunray diver. Here are a couple pics of mine.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Deep Blue Disappointment!!!

What with all this talk about the Deep Blue and the fact that I have been wearing mine for about a week now...I was taking a close look at it and noticed hundreds of little reddish brown dots on the case, bezel and in between the links...YEP! Rust! everywhere except the case back and crowns. The clasp has big rust spots and the push button is caked with rust...lol...Chinese SS.

I'll try to get some pics, but I don't know if my camera will capture them, but if you know how I can take them through my dissection scope then they are painfully obvious.

I buy divers because I swim with them, although this one had only seen fresh water. My Breitling just spent a week in the pacific every day...anyhow it's the first watch I have ever owned to rust...BTW the bracelet has also started turning my wrist black...:blink:

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Rust?!?!?! That's not good. They're all 316L stainless steel. There's no rust on any of mine and I haven't heard of this being a widespread problem. Maybe an isolated problem? You should contact them. Maybe they can help out, but they probably wouldn't cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well I had a run in with Chinese Stainless sheeting about 6 months ago, exact same type of problem. I'm no metalurgist but the mixture seem to be the problem; not being correct...so yeah this sucks...unbeleivable but that's what it is :sad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.