WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

When it rains on Mondays, it has adverse effect on work concentration and exponentially increased sticking to watch forums :lol:

So, I have been thinking... you know how in movies, quite often you see a group of honest, slim men gather in circle and say "let's sync", then all press a button on the side of the watch and all seconds hands reset to zero? Of course you don't, I was referring to movies about bank heists, top hush-hush operations, and what not, involving two or more bad, strong, renegade men. The slim honest men simply don't wear watches that can be set that easy... :laugh:

Not sure how this complication is called, if at all real - could very well be one of these movie thingies, a James Bond laser-equipped Omega of sorts. Are there watches which allow for such sync?

Please, Myth Busters, prove or trash this myth, so I could go on with my work. The thought of these being out there and me not knowing is killing me :biggrin:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
psssst, Kal - I won't say this so loud that the rest of the forum can here it: chronographs can be started by pushing a button and if they all pushed at the same time they would record the same elapsed time. :wink:

Now get back to work Buster.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, boss, I am working... see? Typing away in a screen box... :cool1:

But chronographs do exactly this - they record time elapsed from the start of something. Are you saying the guys in movies count as of time X the elapsed time versus the actual time? :huh: This requires all team members to have chronos... To be investigated, I guess

Yeah, Yeah, I am working on it Geez, some people didn't get their pills this morning...

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think they are using chronographs. They are simply setting their watches to the same time using the hacking function. That's why hacking was a relevant complication to military watches. Watch an old black and white military movie, preferably involving bombers. They set the time, pull the crown out, wait for the mark and then push the crown in.

BTW, your IT guys are watching you....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they are using chronographs. They are simply setting their watches to the same time using the hacking function. That's why hacking was a relevant complication to military watches. Watch an old black and white military movie, preferably involving bombers. They set the time, pull the crown out, wait for the mark and then push the crown in.

BTW, your IT guys are watching you....
Thanks, LouS - I think hacking is the best description of it; wondering at this stage if there were other implementations of the pull-crown versus a fly-back type of hacking, where the seconds hand got reset similar to a chrono but on a regular (3-hand) watch :001_smile:

My IT guys are simply the best, am sure they would give me heads-up if the modems start melting or something... :blush:

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
If this is what you're like when it rains, does your productivity go into negative numbers if there's a snow storm? :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is what you're like when it rains, does your productivity go into negative numbers if there's a snow storm? :lol:
OBJECTION! :lol:

C'mon now, My productivity is typically in the triple digits, so when Mondays suck and I am back to 90+ percent with some room for jokes... No reason to pick on the geeks, eh :wink:

Any of you know of hacking *modern* mechanicals? BTW, I am ready with my next question... :blink:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Many if not most of the military Elgins from WWII had hacking. It's usually a simple spring that is held away from the balance wheel by the pointy end of the stem when in 'winding' mode, and stops the balance in 'setting' mode.

If you think about it, though, synchronizing watches would normally take up to a minute. First everybody but the leader has to pull the stem, at exactly 60" - which could take up to 60" depending on how far apart they were to start. Then set. Then wait for the leader to call 'Hack'.

In Spike Milligan's book on his WWII experiences, he describes going out on a mission where the officer said, "Let's synchronize watches", only to find that he was the only one who HAD a watch - "All right, then. I'LL synchronize MY watch!"

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have a couple of Panerai watches that when you pull the crown, the seconds hand goes to zero...nice feature....I'm sure there are others that have this feature.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I have a couple of Panerai watches that when you pull the crown, the seconds hand goes to zero...nice feature....I'm sure there are others that have this feature.
I have a Longines that does that. It's a caliber 6952 from 1972 or '73.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts