WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine has a Datejust he inherited from his father. It's a 1984/86 model, TT. He wants to sell it to me for $1200. If I get it I will have to send it in for service and this will more then likely run me another $600-800. I've seen the watch and it seems to be in good condition. He wears it all the time and says it runs fine. He's looking or the box and papers, but he's not sure if he has them. I'm new to the Rolex obsession having just bought a GMT ll 16710 LN, so I am seriously thinking about adding this to my new collection. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I think it's a fair deal, assuming there's nothing seriously wrong with it when it gets to service. You are getting a few intangibles over something just "off the street", such as knowing the watches history and dealing with a seller you know and that's something that's got value, at least to me.

I'm not the vintage expert, but I think $1800-2000 is a fair price on a verified Datejust that's just been serviced by Rolex. You'll also have a Rolex warranty on it. However, if you don't really care if Rolex services it, you can get it serviced by a Rolex-authorized service center for a lot less, saving you money and be running just as well. Me personally, I'd go that route, you'd probably have a total of $1500-1600 in it.

You can also come to an agreement with your friend to get an estimate first before you buy it, and that way you can discuss the actual cost and decide what each would pay. Put it all in writing to avoid confusion once the estimate is in. And if you both decide not to go forward, you can split the estimate cost (maybe $50). Better to lose a little money on the estimate than pay more than expected or lose a friend over it.

And remember, the best deal with friends is a fair deal, not a good or great deal. If you want a great deal find a stranger selling one. A good or great deal means someone lost out. :sad:

Good luck on it!

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Good advice Scott - I agree, that's a good deal. I paid $1600.00 for my '84 DJ about 6 years ago, but it had JUST been serviced and was showroom clean. If you're getting the one you describe for less than 2k, it's a great deal, and Scott is correct in that you can get that watch serviced for less from several of our sponsors here on WTF which perform Rolex service work.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Pictures would be a plus.

:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1985 Date Just,,Jubilee Bracelet

I'm new to this forum,,,,registered today,,2/5/12. I have a question regarding Service,,,,,I last serviced my DJ in 2007,,,it was done by Rolex in their New York Service Center. I purchased the watch in 1985,,,,,and it had never been serviced until I sent it in 2007. The watch needed
extensive repair work,,,,,it was done and the watch was returned to me in show room condition,,,,cost of repairs was in the $900 range. My question is it has been 5 yrs since this watch has been serviced,,,it still runs beautifully,,,althought it has some scratches on the bracelet,,,and the crystal has many scrathes. Could someone advise me if it would be better to send it back to a Rolex Service Ctr,,,,,or to send it to an authorized watch repair shop,,,which would result in a less costly service. I found a watch repair service advertised here on the Watch Forum,,,,named TimeCare Inc,,located in Seminole Fl. The site had many positive testimonials concerning Rolex repairs,,,and all were of a positive nature.

Since I'm new at this,,,I would appreciate any help any of you might provide. Thanks,,

Ted

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
As long as the independent has a Rolex parts account, you should be OK. That means they have been approved by Rolex and have access to Rolex parts. They suggest getting a service in the 5-7 year range. Unless you watch is running badly, you proab have a few more years left before a service is needed. If your watch is a daily worn watch and subjected to a lot of abuse, or moisture you may want to consider getting the service now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts