WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my dad's mid 1960's era GMT Master. I will get it repaired for his 80th birthday.

Photo below:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

The case # is 1675.

The Serial number is 1658843.

I will need the bracelet repaired (broken at 'attachment link') and there is an internal issue that it will not self wind (there is a noticeable internal component that is 'loose' and moving inside). I am also considering having the crystal replaced. I believe that it is a saphire (he thinks it was replaced with this 10-15 years ago by Rolex) but noticeably scratched.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to cost for service/repair, crystal replacement and bracelet repair?

I am new on this topic (although I did post a while back without picture or info).

Thoughts are appreciated.

joe

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Joe are you sure it is a saphire but not plastic crystal? Being a 1675 GMT..plastic

anyway, the cost if sent to a Rolex service center would be around $700-$900 f0r a full service..

The bracelet is a riveted type correct for that year. You have to find a vintage watchmaker to work on it. Rolex would just replace it with a new one. These early bracelets are rare, keep it.

Arthur

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arthur - More thoughts below

I really do not know of a way to tell if it is plastic or saphire. My dad 'thinks' he had it replaced with a saphire at some point. How can I tell the difference?

What do you think crystal replacement would cost above the service?

I am looking into a few options for repairing the bracelet. Do you have suggestions for someone who could rebuild rather than simply repairing the one broken component?

Thanks

joe

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I really do not know of a way to tell if it is plastic or saphire. My dad 'thinks' he had it replaced with a saphire at some point. How can I tell the difference?

What do you think crystal replacement would cost above the service?

I am looking into a few options for repairing the bracelet. Do you have suggestions for someone who could rebuild rather than simply repairing the one broken component?

Thanks

joe
Joe it is a plastic crystal..Putting a sapphire version would have to alter the case to size the sapphire crystal and the case would not be waterproof anymore.

The bracelet restoration is a something you would have to research. As aforementioned, check out local watchmakers in you town and ask them your quarry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.