WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
uscjake87, are these some of the watches you listed for sale last year? Is that a '62 Astronaut? I have been looking for an Astronaut, but it always strikes me how sloppy the lume on the dials look.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you like perfect lume, then vintage watches are probably not your thing. The issue is that lume deteriorates over time including the hands on my one line astro watch. Sadly the hands on my 62 had to be relumed, but that is just the way vintage watches go. So even if you bought a watch with perfect aged lume, the dial and hands might crack from exposure to different climates the watch was originally in. A watch that sits in an air conditioned house in a drawer for 30 years might not enjoy the hot humid climate of Florida or the intense heat in the sun of Texas. I have owned 3x M2 watches and helped a few members source the parts to build a few more, but I have sold all but one. That 62 will stay in her air conditioned drawer until king midas comes along. :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that I have spent too much time looking at Speedmasters and the lume, though aged, always seems to be neatly applied to the dial. Most of the lume on the Astronaut dials look "okay," but I saw one that was for sale that looked truly bad. Maybe it is part of the vintage appeal.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts