WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand why you'd pull the crown out on a quartz watch when you're not wearing it, but what's the purpose of doing it on an automatic? :001_unsure:please enlighten me.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, unless you store the watch and want to wind it on a regular basis, but not planning to wear it for some time. Like that you don't have to unscrew and screw the crown back in each time...
Wouldn't that be bad for the mainspring in the long run? I think all that tension held on the spring for an extended period would cause damage. But I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Actually, there's no reason to pull the crown out on a quartz watch either, since the movement continues to run. The hands are just no longer connected to the movement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I see the crowns pulled out to stop the movement for photography....but beyond that :confused1:

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, there's no reason to pull the crown out on a quartz watch either, since the movement continues to run. The hands are just no longer connected to the movement.
On both my Zodiac and Tissot chronos, pulling the crown out DOES stop the seconds hand. In fact, both manuals recommend pulling the crown out to conserve battery power. I just never understood why I've seen photos of automatics where the crown is pulled out. I thought I was missing something, but from the reaction thus far, apparently I'm not.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
This reminds me: I pulled the crown out to take some photos of the WIlliams F1 before, and I forgot to put it back in!

·
Registered
416 Posts
On both my Zodiac and Tissot chronos, pulling the crown out DOES stop the seconds hand. In fact, both manuals recommend pulling the crown out to conserve battery power.
With 10yr batteries being used in many today... what's the point?

Dave

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey... I wasn't gonna say anything. I'm new around here! :eek:hmy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts